Topics

Audio Recording

Monte Stark

Win10 Home
N1mm+
FTdx3000
WinkeyerUSB

What do I need to do to record my audio during the contest?

While I will not post a large score I thought I might as well learn how to
do this for future test when I might have some better antennas!

Thanks,

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
Mountain Home, ID DN23dc
CW Ops #1211
QRP ARCI #8829
SOC #2
Idaho DX Association
Ron@...

ve3ki

To a considerable extent the answer depends on your radio. In the case of the FTdx3000, I believe that radio has an internal USB audio codec. Assuming that it does, and that the radio's USB port is connected to the computer, then you should be able to use the codec as the sound card in sound recording software. You might want to experiment first to see whether or not it also records the monitor output (your CW sidetone). There may be settings in the radio's menu to control whether the monitor output is heard in the sound card or not, and perhaps also to control the volume of the monitor relative to the receiver's audio.

For purposes of compliance with the CQ WW contest rules, they want a continuous recording, not a QSO-by-QSO recording. Probably the easiest way to do this is to use off-the-shelf sound recording software. There is a voice recording program in Windows, but I believe it does not give you a choice of sound cards, i.e. it only records from the default input device. You want to be able to record from the codec in the radio, and for that you want software with the capability to choose the sound card. Audacity (<https://www.audacityteam.org/>) certainly does that (and far more). K3IT's QSOrder program can also be configured to make continuous recordings (actually separate files hour by hour). There are many other choices available.

This is certainly not the only way. If you have ever used digital modes with your radio, you probably already have the hardware connections you need to record received audio, it's just a question of using recording software in place of the digital mode software. Another option might be to put a Y-connector in the path between your headphones and the radio, and feed an external sound card or sound recording device from it. That should work with any radio.

Whatever you are using, you need to take a bit of time ahead of the contest to adjust volume levels, perhaps adjust the sampling rate and bit depth, and so on. You don't need high fidelity, and if you can set the software to use a lower sampling rate, you can make the recorded files smaller - at high fidelity settings, a recording of a full contest will be a very large file.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 01:14 PM, Monte Stark wrote:
Win10 Home
N1mm+
FTdx3000
WinkeyerUSB

What do I need to do to record my audio during the contest?

While I will not post a large score I thought I might as well learn how to
do this for future test when I might have some better antennas!

Thanks,

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
Mountain Home, ID DN23dc
CW Ops #1211
QRP ARCI #8829
SOC #2
Idaho DX Association
Ron@...

VE9AA - Mike

GA Ron,

Easiest way (by far, even if you are SO2R) is to simply split your headphone audio and go out to an external digital recorder.
It just can't get simpler than that.  I use a small audio amp/mixer in line as well, but you can get "useable" audio even w/o it.
Sony makes a couple nice ones @ $50-$70 at Best Buy or your favorite electronics store.

You can also download an app called QSOorder, but it can be complicated and there is lots to do (in some cases) to get it working right
and you have 4hrs+10mins before the contest starts, so....

HTH

Mike VE9AA

Monte Stark

Thanks Rich and Mike,

I have used Audacity for recording our little bluegrass band in the past, so I tried it for this. Works great for the DX station but I can't find any way to get it to record my send audio.

Not going to mess with it any more now but will pick up one of the small digital recorders and parallel it with the phones for the next one. What the heck, a guy always needs more toys, right?

Thanks for the quick responses.

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y

Mountain Home, ID  DN23dc

CW Ops #1211

QRP ARCI #8829

SOC #2

Idaho DX Association

Ron@...

[...]

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

I also use a Sony recorder.  Cheap and trouble free.

73,

Drew K3PA