Topics

Audio issue :N1MM/SO2R - Only able to play CQ WAV one time for left radio, right radio is OK.

Jason K8JT

Group,

For the NAQP-SSB this weekend I (finally) decided to use the audio features of N1MM to send a CQ WAV file.  The WAV file was recorded using Audacity.
I edited the .mc file to link the appropriate WAV file (a CQ message) which resides in the appropriate folder. 
Using the N1MM documentation as guidance I used Config-->Configure Ports etc.-->Audio to reflect my setup (SO2R- Output Left channel on left radio, Right channel on right radio). (Screenshot #1 below).  In the setup portion of the Audio tab I indicated the appropriate device for left and right radios.  Hit OK to exit.

Using the Pause key to move focus to Left radio (if it isn't already) and hit F1 (run mode) and the WAV plays. Awesome.  Use Pause to move focus to the right radio and hit F1 (run mode) and WAV plays. Great.

Problem to follow:
When I move focus back to the left radio and hit F1 again the WAV file plays, the rig keys but no sound. Hmm. Back to right radio, hit F1 and WAV plays. Back to left radio and F1 = no audio but the WAV plays.  I have the Win7 speaker volume mixer open so I can see the signal level of the left speaker is changing when the WAV plays but just no audio and rig keys normally.  Right radio WAV functions normally.

I have been able to repeat this by selecting Config--> Configure ports... and then OK to close it.  The left radio plays the WAV one time and then  will not play again.  For the right radio F1 plays the WAV as expected.

Any ideas?   I have spent time messing with the audio in Win7 (setting default) to no avail. (Yes I see that any changes to the default device in WIn7 require N1MM to be closed and relaunched, this has no effect).

Summary: N1MM plays CQ Wav for left radio once then no more audio. Right radio works fine. Opening and closing N1MM configurer seems to "reset" the issue.

Setup is:
Win7Home 64
2x Ftdx-3000
YCCC SO2R box

Thanks in advance!

Jason K8JT

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

Can you confirm that the wav file has audio on both L/R stereo channels?  You are using left and right for the two radios.

Drew K3PA

Jason K8JT

Hi Drew,

Yes the WAV file has audio on both L/R channels.   Good observation though.

Thanks,

Jason K8JT

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 13:14
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] Audio issue :N1MM/SO2R - Only able to play CQ WAV one time for left radio, right radio is OK.

Can you confirm that the wav file has audio on both L/R stereo channels?  You are using left and right for the two radios.

Drew K3PA

Ted Bryant

Jason,

There are two different wav files involved in what you have described.

When N1MM starts up, it defaults to the Search and Pounce (S&P) mode.  The first time you hit F1 it plays the S&P F1 message.  This also puts you in the RUN mode.  The second time you hit F1 it plays the Run F1 message.  That is the message I would suspect of not having any output on the left channel.

73, Ted W4NZ

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason K8JT
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] Audio issue :N1MM/SO2R - Only able to play CQ WAV one time for left radio, right radio is OK.

Hi Drew,

Thanks,

Jason K8JT

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

Drew K3PA

Jason K8JT

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the wav files for both the run and S&P modes and they are set to the same file.  That file plays fine on the right radio but only once on the left radio.  
Further, if I set the left radio to RUN and hit F1 the message will only play one time. After which a visit to the Config-Audio tab is required to “reset” the issue.

I suspect something Win7 related.

I’ll continue to work on it.  

Jason K8JT 

On Jan 20, 2020, at 13:58, Ted Bryant <tlbryant02@...> wrote:

Jason,

When N1MM starts up, it defaults to the Search and Pounce (S&P) mode.  The first time you hit F1 it plays the S&P F1 message.  This also puts you in the RUN mode.  The second time you hit F1 it plays the Run F1 message.  That is the message I would suspect of not having any output on the left channel.

73, Ted W4NZ

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason K8JT

Hi Drew,

Thanks,

Jason K8JT

Drew K3PA

Ted Bryant

Ok, Jason.  It may or may not be a problem, but I noticed in the screen shot in your original message, there are internal radio codecs specified as the output devices and the option to use the internal codec in each radio in place of the computer soundcard is checked.  But you are also using the computer’s soundcard.  Aren’t these possibly in conflict?

Does the FTDX3000 have an internal codec that can be used as a sound card like the Elecraft K3s?

73, Ted W4NZ

Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 12:04 PM

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the wav files for both the run and S&P modes and they are set to the same file.  That file plays fine on the right radio but only once on the left radio.  

Further, if I set the left radio to RUN and hit F1 the message will only play one time. After which a visit to the Config-Audio tab is required to “reset” the issue.

I suspect something Win7 related.

I’ll continue to work on it.  

Jason K8JT 

On Jan 20, 2020, at 13:58, Ted Bryant <tlbryant02@...> wrote:

Jason,

73, Ted W4NZ

Hi Drew,

Thanks,

Jason K8JT

Drew K3PA

John Bednar

Jason,

You are using the legacy WinXp audio player. It is prone to runtime errors and losing the selected audio device when Windows shuffles the audio device table.

I expect you will have fewer issues if you use the replacement audio player.  Click, Config, Use Logger+ Audio. You will have to configure the audio devices because the *ini file settings different.

John, K3CT

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jason Newton
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 1:00 PM
Subject: [N1MM+] Audio issue :N1MM/SO2R - Only able to play CQ WAV one time for left radio, right radio is OK.

Group,

For the NAQP-SSB this weekend I (finally) decided to use the audio features of N1MM to send a CQ WAV file.  The WAV file was recorded using Audacity.
I edited the .mc file to link the appropriate WAV file (a CQ message) which resides in the appropriate folder. 
Using the N1MM documentation as guidance I used Config-->Configure Ports etc.-->Audio to reflect my setup (SO2R- Output Left channel on left radio, Right channel on right radio). (Screenshot #1 below).  In the setup portion of the Audio tab I indicated the appropriate device for left and right radios.  Hit OK to exit.

Using the Pause key to move focus to Left radio (if it isn't already) and hit F1 (run mode) and the WAV plays. Awesome.  Use Pause to move focus to the right radio and hit F1 (run mode) and WAV plays. Great.

Problem to follow:
When I move focus back to the left radio and hit F1 again the WAV file plays, the rig keys but no sound. Hmm. Back to right radio, hit F1 and WAV plays. Back to left radio and F1 = no audio but the WAV plays.  I have the Win7 speaker volume mixer open so I can see the signal level of the left speaker is changing when the WAV plays but just no audio and rig keys normally.  Right radio WAV functions normally.

I have been able to repeat this by selecting Config--> Configure ports... and then OK to close it.  The left radio plays the WAV one time and then  will not play again.  For the right radio F1 plays the WAV as expected.

Any ideas?   I have spent time messing with the audio in Win7 (setting default) to no avail. (Yes I see that any changes to the default device in WIn7 require N1MM to be closed and relaunched, this has no effect).

Summary: N1MM plays CQ Wav for left radio once then no more audio. Right radio works fine. Opening and closing N1MM configurer seems to "reset" the issue.

Setup is:
Win7Home 64
2x Ftdx-3000
YCCC SO2R box

Thanks in advance!

Jason K8JT