Topics

locked Adjusting CW speed range

Mike Kopacki

Is it possible to adjust the CW speed range in N1MM?  I would like to match it with the Winkeyer settings.  I can change the Winkeyer settings but it has no effect on the speed range in N1MM.

Thanks, Mike

Ed W2LCQ

Mike,

Below the entry window to the right of Run and S&P you will see the speed setting and up and down arrows to change. Use your mouse. Alternately you can use the Page Up and Down keys located on the lower right of your keyboard. I prefer the latter method as it is faster.

Vy 73, Ed Jones W2LCQ

                  Frankford Radio Club
CWops 701 - SKCC 5474C - FISTS 12294

"My ear barely caught signals coming in regular succession which could not have been produced on earth..." -Nikola Tesla

On Dec 27, 2019, at 3:12 PM, mikekopacki@... wrote:

Is it possible to adjust the CW speed range in N1MM?  I would like to match it with the Winkeyer settings.  I can change the Winkeyer settings but it has no effect on the speed range in N1MM.

Thanks, Mike

Mike Kopacki

Thanks, Ed.  I did see that but I want to use the Winkeyer speed pot to adjust the CW speed.  And I want to set the range from 5-30.  But the range in N1MM stays at 10-54.  I was hoping that there is a setting somewhere that I could define the minimum and maximum speeds in N1MM.

I have set the speed range in Winkeyer at 5-30 but the N1MM range still goes 10-54.

Thanks,
Mike

Ed W2LCQ

Hi Mike,

I have a Winkeyer but make all my speed adjustments on N1MM+. I use Winkeyer when stand alone or using another logger without speed control.

Best, Ed

On Dec 27, 2019, at 3:33 PM, mikekopacki@... wrote:

Thanks, Ed.  I did see that but I want to use the Winkeyer speed pot to adjust the CW speed.  And I want to set the range from 5-30.  But the range in N1MM stays at 10-54.  I was hoping that there is a setting somewhere that I could define the minimum and maximum speeds in N1MM.

I have set the speed range in Winkeyer at 5-30 but the N1MM range still goes 10-54.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Kopacki

Leslee, I did check the N1MM config file but did not see any settings for minimum or maximum speed settings.  That's what I was hoping for!

Thanks,
Mike

Tim Shoppa

Mike, you can add series/parallel resistors inside the Winkeyer on the pot line to adjust the speed limits.

I myself keep it in the default range and after a decade of practice I know which way to point it for the speed I want. (Hi Hank W6SX!)

Tim N3QE

On Dec 27, 2019, at 12:51 PM, mikekopacki@... wrote:

Leslee, I did check the N1MM config file but did not see any settings for minimum or maximum speed settings.  That's what I was hoping for!

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Kopacki

Tim, it's very easy to adjust the limits in Winkeyer.  The problem is that, even though I've set N1MM to use the Winkeyer speed pot, the upper and lower limits in Winkeyer are not carried over to N1MM.

When I set Winkeyer at 5-30, the N1MM range is 11-54.  I will never go above 30 and I would like to go down to 5 to work new novices.  But it is not possible to go below 11 wpm in N1MM (which is interesting).

Thanks,
Mike

AB2ZY

Maybe I’m missing the point, but if you want to only use the hardware to control speed, why does it matter what N1MM does? You can use the Winkey tab in the configurer to basically disable N1MM control altogether.

There are no max/min speed parameters in N1MM. Without searching through the entire codebase to check, it looks the limits of the control are hard coded to  >10  &  <99.

Al

AB2ZY

Leslee, I did check the N1MM config file but did not see any settings for minimum or maximum speed settings.  That's what I was hoping for!

Thanks,
Mike

danzee

I'm not sure (I'm not at home) but I believe WKtools3 provides for setting max and min speeds in standalone mode.

Mike, you can add series/parallel resistors inside the Winkeyer on the pot line to adjust the speed limits.

I myself keep it in the default range and after a decade of practice I know which way to point it for the speed I want. (Hi Hank W6SX!)

Tim N3QE

On Dec 27, 2019, at 12:51 PM, mikekopacki@... wrote:

Leslee, I did check the N1MM config file but did not see any settings for minimum or maximum speed settings.  That's what I was hoping for!

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Kopacki

The Winkeyer speed pot does change the CW speed in N1MM...but since the range in N1MM is so great, I only have about 1/4" of travel on the Winkeyer speed pot to adjust from 15-25 wpm.  The full travel is about 2"...so I have very little travel to change by 10 wpm.

This is not a show stopper, but it sure would be nice to have a little more ability to make small changes.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks, Mike

Mike Kopacki

danzee…..it might but how does that help me when I'm connected to a computer and using N1MM?  Maybe I'm missing something (it wouldn't be the first time)!

Mike

merrill brown

Mike when using N1mm for contesting I leave my win keyer knob at the 12 o clock position
Then just use the N1mm software to adjust my speed.
Page up or page down on my pc
Or just adjust speed at the up and down arrows next to Run and S&P
Hope this helps

Merrill
WK2g

On Dec 27, 2019, at 3:11 PM, mikekopacki@... wrote:

Is it possible to adjust the CW speed range in N1MM?  I would like to match it with the Winkeyer settings.  I can change the Winkeyer settings but it has no effect on the speed range in N1MM.

Thanks, Mike

danzee

It doesn't. I use a second keyer and paddle if I want to send a different speed as N1MM by hand.

danzee…..it might but how does that help me when I'm connected to a computer and using N1MM?  Maybe I'm missing something (it wouldn't be the first time)!

Mike

Skip

Hi Mike,

I don't think anyone has yet listened critically to your question since you're getting answers to questions you didn't ask.  What I have figured out is that, when N1MM+ starts with a WK configured, it puts the WK into Host mode and sends a bunch of initialization commands.  Forcing KEY1 [which in SO2R would be Radio 1] is one of them.  I'm SO1R and really wish it didn't do that since I also operate a remote station on KEY2, and I have to move the cables each time I switch when using the logger.  You can't send paddle commands to the WK when it is in Host mode or I could just select KEY2 after starting N1MM+.

Apparently setting the speed range is another because mine goes to 10-55 also.  The effect for me is that my pot setting ... usually at 25 or so when manually sending ... suddenly is much higher, like 45 WPM or so.  I have not found a way, in the UI or .ini, to change either of these behaviors.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 12/27/2019 12:33 PM, mikekopacki@... wrote:
Thanks, Ed.  I did see that but I want to use the Winkeyer speed pot to adjust the CW speed.  And I want to set the range from 5-30.  But the range in N1MM stays at 10-54.  I was hoping that there is a setting somewhere that I could define the minimum and maximum speeds in N1MM.

I have set the speed range in Winkeyer at 5-30 but the N1MM range still goes 10-54.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Kopacki

Skip, thanks.  I appreciate the confirmation that I might not be doing something wrong :) .

I just find it easier to make one smooth change with the speed pot rather than 5 mouse clicks AFTER focusing on an up or down arrow.  I'll just deal with it.  It's not a show stopper.

I wonder if something could be changed inside the Winkeyer....like a resistor....?

Thanks again, Mike

Skip

Mike:  PgUp/PgDn will move your sending speed up or down by an increment that you can set in the UI ... I don't remember where exactly.  Mine is set at 2 WPM which seems to more or less work well, I can bang them pretty quick without having to focus on the little up/dn arrows.  I have my WK configured in N1MM+ so that N1MM+ ignores the speed pot.  I can set it for what I want to [or can] send at and the N1MM+-sent code is separate.  It's not perfect for me, but the N1MM+ development team is dealing with thousands of other requirements, some conflicting, and the odds are high there's a good reason things are the way they are.

You can always set the speed range in the WK to 10-55 and I think the pot will then track both N1MM+ and your paddle speed, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 12/27/2019 2:15 PM, mikekopacki@... wrote:
Skip, thanks.  I appreciate the confirmation that I might not be doing something wrong :) .

I just find it easier to make one smooth change with the speed pot rather than 5 mouse clicks AFTER focusing on an up or down arrow.  I'll just deal with it.  It's not a show stopper.

I wonder if something could be changed inside the Winkeyer....like a resistor....?

Thanks again, Mike

Monte Stark

Hi Mike,

If you go into Config/Ports & etc/Winkey tab, you can chose Use Winkey Speed Pot to have N1MM+ follow that speed setting.

Before doing that you can go into the Winkey set up program to put in your low and high speeds you want.

If you chose the Use Winkey Speed Pot for Paddle and Keyboard WE Only, then both the keyboard and paddles will be controlled by the speed pot but N1MM+ will use its speed adjustments.

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y

Mountain Home, ID  DN23dc

CW Ops #1211

SKCC #4904

QRP ARCI #8829

SOC #2

Idaho DX Association

Ron@...

Skip, thanks.  I appreciate the confirmation that I might not be doing something wrong :) .

I just find it easier to make one smooth change with the speed pot rather than 5 mouse clicks AFTER focusing on an up or down arrow.  I'll just deal with it.  It's not a show stopper.

I wonder if something could be changed inside the Winkeyer....like a resistor....?

Thanks again, Mike

Mike Kopacki

I’m using a tablet and it doesn’t have a PageUp or PageDown button. Tomorrow I’m gonna label the Winkeyer at 10, 15, 20, 25 & 30 wpm.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Kopacki

Ron, I’m aware of all that you said.

However, your second paragraph does not work. When I set the Winkeyer speeds at 5-30, N1MM goes from 11-98.

Thanks,
Mike

Joe WB9SBD

His issue is he cant go slower than 11 WPM. but he wants to.

I tested this here, and same thing regardless of how I set up the Keyer the bottom end is in my case 10 WPM.

I wonder if he tries the Farnsworth method setting might get the code speed lower?

Joe WB9SBD