Topics

CQ WW RTTY Contest ADIF Logs

Ed Muns, W0YK

We’ve added an ADIF Converter webpage to the CQ WW RTTY Contest website and would like to test it with some N1MM+ Logger ADIF logs.  Please export an ADIF of your log from last weekend and email it to me.  Or, if you’d like, try the converter yourself.

                https://www.cqwwrtty.com/adif/

One concern is whether the QTH exchange field is provided (US state, VE area or ‘DX’).

73,

Ed W0YK

John Eigenbrode

Ed,
Uploaded file appears to be a success.
73,
John W3SA

Tim Shoppa

Ed, I did a "diff" between N1MM's native Cabrillo export, and the N1MM's ADIF run through the Cabrillo converter.

The only differences in the QSO: lines were superficial, like whether there's a leading zero on the zone, or how frequencies are rounded off.

For example N1MM will round off frequencies to the nearest kHz, and the ADIF converter always rounds down ("floor"). e.g. 14.08573 shows up as "14086" in N1MM Cabrillo, and as "14085" in ADIF->Cabrillo conversion. I don't think the Cabrillo spec says which way we are supposed to round anyway.

The pulldowns, based on the users actual ADIF, to let the user decide which ADIF fields have state and zone, that actually seems pretty nifty and is an inspired solution to a hairy problem. They defaulted to the correct fields for my ADIF which started with a USA call. If the pulldown was based on the first US/VE QSO that might be marginally better than letting it use the very first ADIF QSO which might not be US/VE.

This converter seems like it'll be more broadly useful for WW Digi than for WW RTTY. But maybe there's more loggers out there today than a decade ago, that only do ADIF exports.

Tim N3QE

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 8:10 AM Ed Muns, W0YK <ed@...> wrote:

We’ve added an ADIF Converter webpage to the CQ WW RTTY Contest website and would like to test it with some N1MM+ Logger ADIF logs.  Please export an ADIF of your log from last weekend and email it to me.  Or, if you’d like, try the converter yourself.

                https://www.cqwwrtty.com/adif/

One concern is whether the QTH exchange field is provided (US state, VE area or ‘DX’).

73,

Ed W0YK

Ed Muns, W0YK

Thanks much Tim.  We got some ADIF logs from N1MM Logger that didn't have the QTH field.  How could that happen?

73,
Ed W0YK

[...]

Ed, I’m guessing an older version of N1MM? There have been several recent (last year or so) improvements in N1MM ADIF exports in an attempt to somehow encode all parts of the exchange (including location I recall)  in a more useful way for general purpose logger import.

Tim N3QE

On Sep 29, 2020, at 9:36 AM, Ed Muns, W0YK <ed@...> wrote:

[...]

ve3ki

N1MM Logger has exported the state/province part of the CQ WW RTTY exchange to ADIF using the STATE tag since 2014 or before (I just tested it with N1MM Logger Classic version 14.9.0). In fact, it looks to me from the revision history as though this change to do this was made in 2003 (version 3.0.97). I doubt whether anyone is using a version that old, but you never know...

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 09:53 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
[...]

There is also a very good chance someone tried to use CQ WW CW logger or some zone-but-no-state RTTY logger to log the WW RTTY contest and that's why there's no states recorded anywhere in the ADIF.

I can tell you (as a club secretary) that a couple percent of hams start the contest with the wrong log and need help fixing everything up. Very common is for someone to start CQ WW SSB with CQ WPX SSB and they don't know until they are hundreds of QSO's in that they have been typing in zone numbers into the serial number box.

Tim N3QE

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:11 AM ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes. You can check for this in the ADIF file by looking at the CONTEST_ID field.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:08 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
[...]

Just to show how complicated it can be, I switched from my WW RTTY log to my General-purpose DX N1MM log, then did an ADIF export of all contests starting with 0000Z Friday night.  The CONTEST_ID comes out as CQ-WW-RTTY. The state comes out, but in ARRL_SECT, not in STATE.

Then I switched to a CWT log and did an ADIF export of all contests again starting with 0000Z Friday night. The CONTEST_ID comes out as CQ-WW-RTTY. The state doesn't appear anywhere at all in this ADIF.

I'm not saying any of the N1MM behavior is wrong, I'm just saying ADIF export depends on the context of the current contest (not the context of a past contest) even though CONTEST_ID is there and correct for the past contest being exported.

I use N1MM more than anyone else in the world (except AA3B) so I kind of understand it's internal model and why it does it does, but it might surprise other less regular contesters (which is everybody in the world except for AA3B and me) to see it work this way.

Tim N3QE

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:15 AM ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:
[...]

Oh, yes, I'm well aware of these and many other anomalies.  I've cleaned up thousands of mangled logs over my contest admin tenure!

73,
Ed W0YK

[...]

Tim,

If you use the "Export ADIF to file by date to from ALL contests" option to export an ADIF file, you can almost count on having problems with the contest exchange and CONTEST_ID fields. The "export from all contests" routine does not look at each QSO to determine which contest it was logged in and decide what ADIF tags are needed for contest-specific items in the database. If you want the contest-related data (such as the exchange) to be handled correctly, you should export each contest log individually. Perhaps this is an explanation for the defective ADIF files Ed reported, i.e. perhaps people were using the "export from all contests" option instead of the basic "export the current contest" option.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
[...]

Phil Cooper

Hi Ed,

After running through the process, and getting to the bit where it produces the Cabrillo file, I noted that DX (ie non-US/VE stations) were correctly identified as DX, but it also put DX against all my US/VE contacts too.

From what I could see, it asks for a sample of the CQ Zone, and a sample of the "Received Location", but the choices available don't seem to cater for what N1MM produces in the ADIF file, which is (for example) <STATE:2>MA.

If I choose the default of AUTO:DX it places DX against all US/VE calls, rather than the State, as per the instructions. However, I note that it says " Select ADIF field that contains received State/Province", but I can't seem to navigate to anything other than the first contact in the ADIF file.

73 de Phil GU0SUP

We’ve added an ADIF Converter webpage to the CQ WW RTTY Contest website and would like to test it with some N1MM+ Logger ADIF logs.  Please export an ADIF of your log from last weekend and email it to me.  Or, if you’d like, try the converter yourself.

                https://www.cqwwrtty.com/adif/

One concern is whether the QTH exchange field is provided (US state, VE area or ‘DX’).

73,

Ed W0YK

Ed Muns, W0YK

Yep, we discovered that case a today and are arranging a fix.  Thanks for the sleuthing and feedback!

73,
Ed W0YK

After running through the process, and getting to the bit where it produces the Cabrillo file, I noted that DX (ie non-US/VE stations) were correctly identified as DX, but it also put DX against all my US/VE contacts too.

From what I could see, it asks for a sample of the CQ Zone, and a sample of the "Received Location", but the choices available don't seem to cater for what N1MM produces in the ADIF file, which is (for example) <STATE:2>MA.