Topics

"COM14 not functioning"

Skip

Can someone tell me what this error notice really means?  COM14 is one of the 4 RRC1258 virtual ports, it is RRC COM1 and handles the CAT connection to the remote K3.  The notice comes up the first time right after the N!MM+ splash screen appears, and then comes up two more times as N1MM initializes and the windows appear.

Windows tells me that all the USB COM ports are working fine.  I've done all the usual [reboot, remove all the USB-reboot-reinsert USB, try different USB sockets] with no change.  Rebooting the RRC1258 doesn't fix it either.

Usually, when something is wrong with the CAT connection, N1MM+ comes up and eventually gives me the lost radio contact, retry? notice.  That never happens now.

Thanks,

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

Steve London

You won't like this answer, either....

It means N1MM+ got a System.IO.IOException when we asked Microsoft to open the serial port.

According to the MS documentation, it occurs when the serial port is in an invalid state.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 04/30/2020 04:09 PM, Skip wrote:
[...]

No Steve, I don't really like that but it's what I suspected ... the error comes up 3 times early in N1MM+ initialization.  Device Mangler says everything is hunky dory with COM14.  I'm wondering if something has croaked in the RRC1258 that provides those 4 virtual ports.

Plan B will be to operate in 7QP without CAT sensing of frequency.  I've done it before, with any luck, I'll forget to take N1MM+ along with radio frequency changes only once or twice. [:=)  Thanks for the scoop

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 4/30/2020 5:56 PM, Steve London wrote:
You won't like this answer, either....

It means N1MM+ got a System.IO.IOException when we asked Microsoft to open the serial port.

According to the MS documentation, it occurs when the serial port is in an invalid state.

73,
Steve, N2IC

Rick Tavan

I've had similar issues, sometimes with 9 or even 12 error messages from MM regarding current and previously-used ports. Usually, rebooting Windows fixes it. I still get redundant port reports but usually they're benign.

/Rick N6XI

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 11:19 AM Skip <k6dgw@...> wrote:
[...]

Truckee and Saratoga, CA