Topics

Networking problem

Gordon LaPoint

I'm trying to get multiop contesting setup using my remote site. I have a VPN server running at the site, and we can all VPN in with no problem.

We can ping the server system from our home computers (all Win10) when the vpn link is active.  N1MM++ does not see the server site from each home site.

What else should be checked?  VNC works fine (with the VPN active)

Gordon - N1MGO

Are you using the latest N1MM+ release ?

Tom N1MM and Larry K8UT
Recently held a Zoom conference 
Only about 8 people attended
Everyone used LogMeIn Hamachi ‘s VPN tool

We should see a recording of that session released 
Soon

The tool set was easy to use 

Steve
KG5VK 

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 5:19 PM Gordon LaPoint <gordon.lapoint@...> wrote:
I'm trying to get multiop contesting setup using my remote site. I have
a VPN server running at the site, and we can all VPN in with no problem.

We can ping the server system from our home computers (all Win10) when
the vpn link is active.  N1MM++ does not see the server site from each
home site.

Gordon - N1MGO

--
Steve
KG5VK
Tele 318-470-9806
ARRL NTX Section Manager 
Please note: My Out Going Email address is LottsPhoto@...
KG5VK@... is forwarded to my Gmail address

Larry K8UT

Just to clarify:

The new feature in N1MM+, and the Zoom teleconference this week described Distributed Multi-Op (DMO) contesting over a Virtual Private Network (VPN). In DMO each ham - in his/her own shack - operates his/her computer, radio and antenna, but logs their contacts on an N1MM+ wide area network. In this architecture, everything is distributed and only logging is shared over a network.

Gordon is describing remote contest operation in which each ham connects remotely, via a VPN, using some remote operating software, to co-located computers, radios and antennas. In this architecture, the operators are distributed, everything else is centrally located. 

-larry (K8UT)

[[Unfortunately, the recording of that teleconference was lost. There are more planned and we'll try to get a subsequent Zoom (or a K8UT Video) posted on this topic.]]

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 2020-04-30 18:42:43
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] Networking problem

Tom N1MM and Larry K8UT

Soon

-larry (K8UT)

Steve
KG5VK 

home site.

Gordon - N1MGO

--
Steve
KG5VK
Tele 318-470-9806
ARRL NTX Section Manager 

Larry K8UT

Gordon,

See my reply in this thread to KG5VK. Do I understand your architecture correctly?

Had this configuration been running previously? What remote software are you using? Which VPN client? Are you manually adding the Name and IP Address of your site into the >Network Status >Actions >Edit Computer Addresses table?

If this configuration had not been used previously, or not since updating Windows 10, check the Windows Firewall settings to ensure that you have allowed N1MM+ through the Public firewall. Details on how to do that are in the VPN document here:
https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/mmfiles/distributed-multi-op-contesting-using-n1mm-with-a-hamachi-vpn_v1-pdf/

-larry (K8UT)

Finally - the new auto-configure routines added since version 1.0.8317 may have busted your specific software combination. If you are still stuck could you experiment by reverting to 1.0.8317 to see if that connects to your remote site?

-larry (K8UT)

To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Sent: 2020-04-30 18:19:09
Subject: [N1MM+] Networking problem

I'm trying to get multiop contesting setup using my remote site. I have a VPN server running at the site, and we can all VPN in with no problem.

We can ping the server system from our home computers (all Win10) when the vpn link is active. N1MM++ does not see the server site from each home site.

What else should be checked? VNC works fine (with the VPN active)

Gordon - N1MGO

Gordon LaPoint

Larry,
    I have not used this configuration previously.
I am using OpenVPN for both server and client.  The server runs on a linux system at the remote site. Each client is running the openvpn GUI client V11.13.0.0
I tried without and with the address of the server in the >Network Status>Actions>Edit address table.
I don't expect each client to see the other client, just the server site.
I did not see the Zoom teleconference about this.
I think you understand our architecture correctly except we are using one radio, remotely, logging at each operators location.
We are operating a remote site using RCForb software, so the same radio operated by each operator, at different times.

I will try again with the version 1.0.8317.

Thanks,
Gordon - N1MGO

On 4/30/2020 20:36 PM, Larry K8UT wrote:
Gordon,

See my reply in this thread to KG5VK. Do I understand your architecture correctly?

Had this configuration been running previously? What remote software are you using? Which VPN client? Are you manually adding the Name and IP Address of your site into the >Network Status >Actions >Edit Computer Addresses table?

If this configuration had not been used previously, or not since updating Windows 10, check the Windows Firewall settings to ensure that you have allowed N1MM+ through the Public firewall. Details on how to do that are in the VPN document here:
https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/mmfiles/distributed-multi-op-contesting-using-n1mm-with-a-hamachi-vpn_v1-pdf/

-larry (K8UT)

Finally - the new auto-configure routines added since version 1.0.8317 may have busted your specific software combination. If you are still stuck could you experiment by reverting to 1.0.8317 to see if that connects to your remote site?

-larry (K8UT)

Larry K8UT

gm Gordon

Thanks for that explanation. As clarification of my "remote station" description, the logging software is also local with the contest operator, but the station hardware (radio, keyer, mic, rotor...) is all remote via the RCForb software and an RCForb OpenVPN .

Unless I misunderstand this configuration, there is no requirement for N1MM+ networking and an N1MM VPN - all logging is local to your PC. As such, you should have N1MM+'s >Windows >Network Status >Actions turned OFF. The recent changes to N1MM+ that provide VPN functionality are not involved in RCForb connectivity.

-larry (K8UT)

To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Sent: 2020-05-01 04:17:23

Larry,
I have not used this configuration previously.
I am using OpenVPN for both server and client. The server runs on a linux system at the remote site. Each client is running the openvpn GUI client V11.13.0.0
I tried without and with the address of the server in the >Network Status>Actions>Edit address table.
I don't expect each client to see the other client, just the server site.
I did not see the Zoom teleconference about this.
I think you understand our architecture correctly except we are using one radio, remotely, logging at each operators location.
We are operating a remote site using RCForb software, so the same radio operated by each operator, at different times.

I will try again with the version 1.0.8317.

Thanks,
Gordon - N1MGO

On 4/30/2020 20:36 PM, Larry K8UT wrote:
Gordon,

-larry (K8UT)

-larry (K8UT)

Larry

Thank you for setting me straight

apologies for me having confused the two
as they are Two different distinct Operating Categories

Multi Distributed being everyone operates at their own QTH
but shares the operating experience and see's who is where thru watching each others computer logging screen
just everyone is on the same page knowing who is on what band etc
shared experience however everyone is at their own station

Much like ARRL FD with the Big exception that the span of the antenna farm and distance between radios can be much greater
More social distance and therefore a Check Log under the "currently understood rules" of all antennas within @1000

Multi-OP with "virtual butts in the chairs"
is Remote control of One station and antenna farm all at one location
Just the OPS are all at home but working the station from remote
with VPN tools

Multi- Distributed will be very handy for those of us that enjoy helping with Special events and the members of a club help share the
operating time slots over a period of several days or more, each operating from their own shack
No more need to fill out an interactive spread sheet that must be live on the internet at all times
We can see who is on what band at any given moment
by just looking at N1MM+
on our computer in our own shack
provided we maintain a connected status to everyone in the VPN

There will be many other uses for Multi-Distributed

Apologies for the extra bandwidth, thank you and the whole N1MM+ team for the continued support and a great Software tool set !

Steve
KG5VK
Tele 318-470-9806
ARRL NTX Section Manager 

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:20 PM Larry K8UT <K8UT@...> wrote:
Just to clarify:

The new feature in N1MM+, and the Zoom teleconference this week described Distributed Multi-Op (DMO) contesting over a Virtual Private Network (VPN). In DMO each ham - in his/her own shack - operates his/her computer, radio and antenna, but logs their contacts on an N1MM+ wide area network. In this architecture, everything is distributed and only logging is shared over a network.

Gordon is describing remote contest operation in which each ham connects remotely, via a VPN, using some remote operating software, to co-located computers, radios and antennas. In this architecture, the operators are distributed, everything else is centrally located. 

-larry (K8UT)

[[Unfortunately, the recording of that teleconference was lost. There are more planned and we'll try to get a subsequent Zoom (or a K8UT Video) posted on this topic.]]

Tom N1MM and Larry K8UT

Soon

-larry (K8UT)

Steve
KG5VK 

home site.

Gordon - N1MGO

--
Steve
KG5VK
Tele 318-470-9806
ARRL NTX Section Manager 

Larry K8UT

Steve,

>apologies for me having confused the two
Ah... the confusion has just begun, and you are not the only beneficiary. ;-)

After posting my definition, my what-I-thought-were clear-cut delineations became further complicated by hybrid models of both Remote and Distributed contest operations.

It turns out that Gordon N1MGO is operating a remote station - the radio, keyer, microphone, antennas are not at his QTH. He and a friend are time-sharing a single remote station during this weekend's contests. But, he and that friend are also sharing their logs at their QTHs across an N1MM+ plus network and a VPN.

Thus my original definition for DMO is not always accurate. Each contest operator, logging computer and the logging software is together. Other contests operators are similarly equipped in other places (separated by more than FD's 1000 foot radius). The logging results (this contest's logs) are shared between those operators' places. But the radio(s), keyer(s), microphone(s), antennas could be ...anywhere.

Does your brain hurt yet?

-larry (K8UT)

Sent: 2020-05-01 08:21:47

Larry

Thank you for setting me straight

apologies for me having confused the two
as they are Two different distinct Operating Categories

Multi Distributed being everyone operates at their own QTH
but shares the operating experience and see's who is where thru watching each others computer logging screen
just everyone is on the same page knowing who is on what band etc
shared experience however everyone is at their own station

Much like ARRL FD with the Big exception that the span of the antenna farm and distance between radios can be much greater
More social distance and therefore a Check Log under the "currently understood rules" of all antennas within @1000

Multi-OP with "virtual butts in the chairs"
is Remote control of One station and antenna farm all at one location
Just the OPS are all at home but working the station from remote
with VPN tools

Multi- Distributed will be very handy for those of us that enjoy helping with Special events and the members of a club help share the
operating time slots over a period of several days or more, each operating from their own shack
No more need to fill out an interactive spread sheet that must be live on the internet at all times
We can see who is on what band at any given moment
by just looking at N1MM+
on our computer in our own shack
provided we maintain a connected status to everyone in the VPN

There will be many other uses for Multi-Distributed

Apologies for the extra bandwidth, thank you and the whole N1MM+ team for the continued support and a great Software tool set !

Steve
KG5VK
Tele 318-470-9806
ARRL NTX Section Manager 

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:20 PM Larry K8UT <K8UT@...> wrote:
Just to clarify:

-larry (K8UT)

Tom N1MM and Larry K8UT

Soon

-larry (K8UT)

Steve
KG5VK 

home site.

Gordon - N1MGO

--
Steve
KG5VK
Tele 318-470-9806
ARRL NTX Section Manager 

Oh My !

This is fun and will lead to some new cutting edge stuff
of course not everyone will be happy with the new ways some of us find to have fun

But the expansion of our style of operating will lead to some cool places

Many thought the memory CW keyers would be death rays to contesting :)

Of course as we chart new territory, it is a good reminder to send Notes on what we did to the contest sponsors
and allow them to place us as a Check Log
No one wants to be listed as a DQ!

Keep up the great work!

Cheers!
Steve
KG5VK

Gordon LaPoint

Larry,
    We have it all working now, I setup Hamachi VPN server/client with our own private network.  I would still like to get it working with OpenVPN, looks to be a routing issue.  I don't have time to work on it now, and will use Hamachi for the NEQSO contest this weekend in the Multioperator Single radio mode, with both of us using a single remote that I have setup.
Thanks for the help!
Gordon - N1MGO

On 5/1/2020 8:49 AM, Larry K8UT wrote:
Steve,

>apologies for me having confused the two
Ah... the confusion has just begun, and you are not the only beneficiary. ;-)

After posting my definition, my what-I-thought-were clear-cut delineations became further complicated by hybrid models of both Remote and Distributed contest operations.

It turns out that Gordon N1MGO is operating a remote station - the radio, keyer, microphone, antennas are not at his QTH. He and a friend are time-sharing a single remote station during this weekend's contests. But, he and that friend are also sharing their logs at their QTHs across an N1MM+ plus network and a VPN.

Thus my original definition for DMO is not always accurate. Each contest operator, logging computer and the logging software is together. Other contests operators are similarly equipped in other places (separated by more than FD's 1000 foot radius). The logging results (this contest's logs) are shared between those operators' places. But the radio(s), keyer(s), microphone(s), antennas could be ...anywhere.

Does your brain hurt yet?

-larry (K8UT)