Topics

SO2R SSB 2 KB w Flex - How done?

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

Just curious how you accomplish switching of TX focus w two keyboards? Ctrl+right/left arrow works but tiresome after 20 hours of operation. 
Anyone using double FS + PTTs with USB/RS-232 adapter?
73s and stay healthy....

Andy (KU7T)

I am not doing SSB much, but why do you need to switch the TX focus. Can't you just hit the key on the right keyboard in order for the correct "radio" to transmit? 

The only time I need to do an explicit TX focus switch is for CW to use the paddle. 

Andy
KU7T

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP <smnollhrp@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 8:03 AM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io>
Subject: [N1MM+] SO2R SSB 2 KB w Flex - How done?

Just curious how you accomplish switching of TX focus w two keyboards? Ctrl+right/left arrow works but tiresome after 20 hours of operation. 
73s and stay healthy....

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

Hi Andy, if you do not use voiced F-keys you need another means to switch TX focus and then make e g a voice call over the mic. In SSB trickier than in CW.

VE9AA - Mike

Kari,

I do what Any/KU7T does to switch my paddles, but there is no 1-button press for the mic....that I know of.

I don't do very much SSB these days, and only *just* started using 2 Keyboards, but I believe only either CTRL_(left/right) Arrow
key will switch focus (without transmitting) as you know.

The other things are function keys.  ie: Enter(ESM), F1, F2 etc.

I believe you are perhaps looking for a way to transmit using your real voice and to get one radio or the other queued up and "ready" to transmit something you need to speak.

That's a tough one.

Too bad there wasn't a "magic" button on the keyboard that says "take focus and get ready to transmit here!"...that's what you (and I) need I think.

I use a footswitch, but that doesn't make it any easier.

GL - I'll be watching this thread.

Mike VE9AA

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 12:03 PM, Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP wrote:
73s and stay healthy....

--
Mike VE9AA

Andy (KU7T)

Ok, now I get it. Why dont you try to map 2 keys to the 2 keyboard short cuts? That may work...

Andy
KU7T

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:55:45 PM
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] SO2R SSB 2 KB w Flex - How done?

Kari,

I do what Any/KU7T does to switch my paddles, but there is no 1-button press for the mic....that I know of.

I don't do very much SSB these days, and only *just* started using 2 Keyboards, but I believe only either CTRL_(left/right) Arrow
key will switch focus (without transmitting) as you know.

The other things are function keys.  ie: Enter(ESM), F1, F2 etc.

I believe you are perhaps looking for a way to transmit using your real voice and to get one radio or the other queued up and "ready" to transmit something you need to speak.

That's a tough one.

Too bad there wasn't a "magic" button on the keyboard that says "take focus and get ready to transmit here!"...that's what you (and I) need I think.

I use a footswitch, but that doesn't make it any easier.

GL - I'll be watching this thread.

Mike VE9AA

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 12:03 PM, Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP wrote:
73s and stay healthy....

--
Mike VE9AA

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

OK that could be a solution. Is this done in Windows or N1MM? 

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

You are right that magic button is needed. Dennid W1UE hinted on a FS PTT solution I will look into.More to come...

Andy (KU7T)

Hi Kari, 

hardware solution is doable, and software also. The key mapping you would do in AutoHotkey (https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/appendices/third-party-software/)

Andy
KU7T

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP <smnollhrp@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2020 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] SO2R SSB 2 KB w Flex - How done?

You are right that magic button is needed. Dennid W1UE hinted on a FS PTT solution I will look into.More to come...

VE9AA - Mike

Andy, (or anyone)

I read the link on AHK you posted, but didn't see the exact example Kari and I would possibly need. I only gave it a cursory look, so maybe missed it.
Could AHK do this:
Take a single key (let's say it's the PrintScreen Key for sake of argument) and make it do CTRL+LEFT ARROW? (or CTRL+RIGHT ARROW) ?

ie: can I map a double key press to a single key press?

Ctrl+whichever arrow works perfectly for CW Paddle focus,(or footswitch focus) but I agree...it's tiring in a long contest.
If I could redo 2 seldom or unused keys for paddle focus (CW) or for footswitch focus (in SSB) contests, where immediately after transmitter key down, was going to be live audio from the op and not a F key, this would also work well if doable.

Many thanks for the advice.

Mike VE9AA

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:47 AM, Andy (KU7T) wrote:
Hi Kari, 

hardware solution is doable, and software also. The key mapping you would do in AutoHotkey (https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/appendices/third-party-software/)

Andy
KU7T

--
Mike VE9AA

Dave N3RD

Mike,

With AHK, you can map a single keypress to a double or triple keypress.

You can also map a double keypress to a different double or triple keypress.

AutoHotKey is your friend.

73 - Dave N3RD

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 5:20 PM VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@...> wrote:
Andy, (or anyone)

I read the link on AHK you posted, but didn't see the exact example Kari and I would possibly need. I only gave it a cursory look, so maybe missed it.
Could AHK do this:
Take a single key (let's say it's the PrintScreen Key for sake of argument) and make it do CTRL+LEFT ARROW? (or CTRL+RIGHT ARROW) ?

ie: can I map a double key press to a single key press?

Ctrl+whichever arrow works perfectly for CW Paddle focus,(or footswitch focus) but I agree...it's tiring in a long contest.
If I could redo 2 seldom or unused keys for paddle focus (CW) or for footswitch focus (in SSB) contests, where immediately after transmitter key down, was going to be live audio from the op and not a F key, this would also work well if doable.

Many thanks for the advice.

Mike VE9AA
On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:47 AM, Andy (KU7T) wrote:
Hi Kari, 

Andy
KU7T

--
Mike VE9AA

VE9AA - Mike

Thanks Dan.

I may give it a try
--
Mike VE9AA

Kevan Nason

Another option is to use a gaming keyboard with programmable keys. There are many, and probably better, keyboards out there, but I've found my two identical Logitech G105 keyboards do things like this. They have three configurable macro key profiles for different contest use. Macros programmed work with either keyboard.

As a test I programmed CTRL+Right Arrow into key G3 and CTRL+Left Arrow into G4. Switched back and forth from one window to the other without issue. I also put Pause into G3 and used it to switch focus. A "gotcha" is if for my Logitech software I have to close and reopen N1MM for it to recognize the change.

For those of you thinking of using something like this, here's some lessons learned. NJ4F started me using gaming equipment that way. He uses a gaming keypad with something like 20 programmable buttons on a single device easily reached by slightly moving his fingers. I don't like that setup because of needing to move hands off the keyboard though. I avoided keyboards with programmable keys across the top. Figured I would too easily confuse them with the regular F-keys after 20 or 30 hours in the chair. Settled on the G105 keyboard because the function keys are to the left of the typing area and easily reached. The G1 key sits right next to the Esc key though. Kept hitting G1 instead of Esc. Solved that by giving up one of the six macro keys and programmed G1 as a second Esc key so it doesn't matter which upper left key I hit. Considered getting a gaming mouse which has programmable buttons on it, but again you would have to move hands from keyboard so didn't go that route.

Don't think they make the G105 keyboard anymore, but found one for the second radio on eBay for a very reasonable price. Has to be other similar ones out there somewhere, but didn't have the need to look.

Kevan N4XL

Michael Walker

I have yet to test this, but could you use the Stream Deck to do this?   https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck.  You can assign hot keys to buttons on the Stream Deck

We  use the Stream Deck with FRStack on Flex 6000 radios for many things, such as rapid antenna switching, gain settings, etc.  This replaces having to dig into a menu during a contest run.  What is nice is that you 'should' be able to have N1MM commands keys sitting right beside Flex radio keys and sense each button is an OLED it is easy to see what it is assigned to do.  https://youtu.be/NpnUO1F_AGE

Mike va3mw

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 9:58 AM Kevan Nason <knason00@...> wrote:
Another option is to use a gaming keyboard with programmable keys. There are many, and probably better, keyboards out there, but I've found my two identical Logitech G105 keyboards do things like this. They have three configurable macro key profiles for different contest use. Macros programmed work with either keyboard.

As a test I programmed CTRL+Right Arrow into key G3 and CTRL+Left Arrow into G4. Switched back and forth from one window to the other without issue. I also put Pause into G3 and used it to switch focus. A "gotcha" is if for my Logitech software I have to close and reopen N1MM for it to recognize the change.

For those of you thinking of using something like this, here's some lessons learned. NJ4F started me using gaming equipment that way. He uses a gaming keypad with something like 20 programmable buttons on a single device easily reached by slightly moving his fingers. I don't like that setup because of needing to move hands off the keyboard though. I avoided keyboards with programmable keys across the top. Figured I would too easily confuse them with the regular F-keys after 20 or 30 hours in the chair. Settled on the G105 keyboard because the function keys are to the left of the typing area and easily reached. The G1 key sits right next to the Esc key though. Kept hitting G1 instead of Esc. Solved that by giving up one of the six macro keys and programmed G1 as a second Esc key so it doesn't matter which upper left key I hit. Considered getting a gaming mouse which has programmable buttons on it, but again you would have to move hands from keyboard so didn't go that route.

Don't think they make the G105 keyboard anymore, but found one for the second radio on eBay for a very reasonable price. Has to be other similar ones out there somewhere, but didn't have the need to look.

Kevan N4XL