Topics

RTTY call stacking: Next Call not working with ESM

Mike Dodd

Having just finished CQ WPX RTTY, I looked into call stacking for the next RTTY contest. I read the manual, and have the following set up:
  • Configurer: Next Call key set to F10
  • Function keys: F10 Next call,{TX} ! {LOGTHENGRAB}TU NOW...{F5}{F2} {RX}
  • Digital Interface: Call stacking enabled
Receiving, calls are stacked in the DI's Grab pane. When I test a run QSO and press F10, the Q is logged, the next callsign is grabbed, and the TU NOW....exchange is transmitted. It works fine. But this does not happen if I use ESM. When I hit Enter, this does not happen. Instead, the Q is logged and the next callsign is popped from the stack, but it is not copied to the main window and my standard TU N4CF CQ message is sent.

The Configurer screen has a notice above the function key assignments that says, "Make sure the key mappings below match the contents of the keys as defined in ... Config/Change Digital Buttons." See the attached screen shot.

I can't find Config/Change Digital Buttons. This might explain why ESM doesn't work. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

--- Mike N4CF

ve3ki

You are confusing LOGTHENGRAB with LOGTHENPOP. They are two different things and work differently. The Next key (your F10) only works with LOGTHENPOP. Read <https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-operating/single-operator-contesting/#digital-call-stacking> carefully.

On 2/11/2020 10:08 PM, ve3ki wrote:
You are confusing LOGTHENGRAB with LOGTHENPOP. They are two different
things and work differently. The Next key (your F10) only works with
LOGTHENPOP.
OK, I think I understand now. LOGTHENPOP works with calls on the call stack, the Next Call key, and ESM, while LOGTHENGRAB uses calls on the Grab stack, does not use the Next Call key, and thus does not work with ESM. Correct?

That's a shame. I really like ESM, and was looking forward to using it with call stacking. I suppose I'll have to get used to hitting F10 to call the next station, or Enter if I just want to send TU CQ.

Thank you for the clarification.

--
73, Mike N4CF
Louisa County, VA USA

Steve Bookout, NR4M

Mike,
I’ve got it working well here.
Come over some time and I can show you what I know.
I have it working with ESM just fine.

Steve, NR4M

On 2/11/2020 11:29 PM, Steve Bookout, NR4M wrote:
Mike, I’ve got it working well here. Come over some time and I can
show you what I know. I have it working with ESM just fine.
FB, Steve. Does it use the call stack or the Grab list on the Digital Interface?

--- Mike N4CF

ve3ki

For what it's worth, my own procedure works like this (I have the right-click sends Enter option checked):

Right-click in the RX window to send my CQ.
Two stations respond. I left-click on both call signs, one after the other. One is now on the call stack, the other in the Entry window.
Right-click sends my exchange to the station whose call is in the Entry window.
He sends his exchange, I left-click on it, then right-click to send the Next message, pop the call stack and start the next QSO.
The second station sends his exchange. I left-click on it, then right-click to send my TU message.

This is basically the same as responding to a single caller - the only difference is that I click on two (or three) call signs instead of only one before right-clicking to start the first QSO. Everything else proceeds with my standard left-click, right-click alternation. I don't look at the Grab list at all, and my mouse pointer stays inside the RX window the whole time.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 09:26 AM, Mike Dodd wrote:
On 2/11/2020 11:29 PM, Steve Bookout, NR4M wrote:
Mike, I’ve got it working well here. Come over some time and I can
show you what I know. I have it working with ESM just fine.
FB, Steve. Does it use the call stack or the Grab list on the Digital
Interface?
he
--- Mike N4CF

Jamie WW3S

What he said....logthenpop the way to go....

On 2/12/2020 10:39 AM, ve3ki wrote:
For what it's worth, my own procedure works like this (I have the
right-click sends Enter option checked):
Thanks, Rich. The big difference is that I prefer using the keyboard instead of the mouse as much as possible.

I like to hit INSERT to call the last callsign in the DI window, and I like to hit ENTER so I can benefit from ESM.

Sometimes I use the mouse to click on the exchange in the DI window to copy it to the entry window, but other times I'll just type it in.

I've been reading more in the N1MM docs, and now better understand how the call stack works. It appears I need a way to move a callsign from the grab list to the call stack so I can use the Next Call Key with ESM to begin the next QSO.

I think the {STACKANOTHER} macro will do this, but I'm unsure where to put it. Maybe in my Next Call key?

F10 Next Call,{TX} ! {STACKANOTHER}{LOGTHENPOP} TU NOW... {F5}{F2} {RX}

Again, I'm looking for a way to use call stacking with the keyboard, not the mouse. And I strongly prefer to avoid multiple-key combinations on the keyboard, since my left hand is still slightly impaired from a 2007 stroke. That's why INSERT and ESM appeal so much to me.

73, Mike N4CF

ve3ki

For a keyboard-centric operator, the Grab list method is more attractive than it is for a mouse-centric operator.

I don't think you can put {STACKANOTHER} in the {LOGTHENPOP} message, though. I would expect that you would have to use it in a separate function key message executed earlier in the QSO sequence. Something like:
F1 (or Enter) to send CW.
F7 = {GRAB} to take the place of left-clicking on the first call sign.
F8 = {STACKANOTHER} to pull the next call sign off the Grab list and put it on the call stack.
Enter or Insert to send your exchange.
Type in or click on the (first) received exchange.
 Enter to send either your TU (F3) or Next (F10) message

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 11:13 AM, Mike Dodd wrote:
[...]

You can still pop, just need to click the call to get it in the stack first, then enter....if logthenpop isn’t working in esm, then check configure first to make sure the key you have programmed for next is defined in config

On Feb 12, 2020, at 12:02 PM, ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim W7RY

I use log then pop. Works perfectly. I can send my function key setup when I get home this weekend.

Please see the excellent videos from Larry K8UT on this function.

Thanks
73
Jim W7RY
On 2/11/2020 8:36 PM, Mike Dodd wrote:

[...]

Oh.. And I use ESM too.

Thanks
73
Jim W7RY

On 2/12/2020 12:02 PM, ve3ki wrote:
For a keyboard-centric operator, the Grab list method is more attractive
F8 = {STACKANOTHER} to pull the next call sign off the Grab list and put
I'm confused about {STACKANOTHER}. While I was testing last night with nothing in the Grab list, {STACKANOTHER} pulled callsigns from the DI decoded text.

Question: If a callsign is present in the Grab list, will {STACKANOTHER} take that callsign, INSTEAD OF from the decoded text? I.e., does {STACKANOTHER} pull from the decoded text only if the Grab list is empty?

Thanks for a clarification.

--- Mike N4CF

Rick Ellison

The STACKANOTHER macro only takes the current callsign that is shown in the Entry Window and places that call on the stack. It does not pull from any other location.

For a keyboard-centric operator, the Grab list method is more
attractive
F8 = {STACKANOTHER} to pull the next call sign off the Grab list and
put
I'm confused about {STACKANOTHER}. While I was testing last night with nothing in the Grab list, {STACKANOTHER} pulled callsigns from the DI decoded text.

Question: If a callsign is present in the Grab list, will {STACKANOTHER} take that callsign, INSTEAD OF from the decoded text? I.e., does {STACKANOTHER} pull from the decoded text only if the Grab list is empty?

Thanks for a clarification.

--- Mike N4CF

ve3ki

My guess would be that {STACKANOTHER} is not getting calls directly from the decoded text in the Di window; rather, my guess is that the call it gets comes from the Entry window. That's where {STACKANOTHER} gets call signs from in non-digital modes.

I think what is going on is that the basic {STACKANOTHER} code (for all modes) gets its call sign from the Entry window call sign box (where the user types it in), and that in digital modes, overlaid on the basic code there is additional code that looks in the Grab list first, and only goes to the original Entry window source if there is nothing in the Grab list.

On 2/13/2020 11:35 AM, Rick Ellison wrote:
The STACKANOTHER macro only takes the current callsign that is shown
in the Entry Window and places that call on the stack.
It does not pull from any other location.
Thanks.

I don't want to flog this thread to death. I'll keep fooling around until I get it working as I want.

--- Mike

Rick Ellison

Mike..
I was wrong. If the digital window is open {STACKANOTHER} does pull the top call in the grab window and place's it on the callstack.

On 2/14/2020 9:45 AM, Rick Ellison wrote:
Mike.. I was wrong. If the digital window is open {STACKANOTHER} does
pull the top call in the grab window and place's it on the
callstack.
Thanks, Rick. That might be what I'm looking for.

73, Mike N4CF

ve3ki