Gilbert Baron W0MN

How does N1MM calculate operating time

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--
W0MN Rochester, MN

ve3ki

N1MM+ calculates on and off times the same way the contest scorers do. Operating time includes any clock minute during which a contact is logged, as well as idle clock minutes that do not qualify as off time. Off time during the contest requires 30 (or 60, depending on the contest rules) consecutive full clock minutes during which no contacts are logged. In effect, the off time clock starts at the beginning of the clock minute after the last logged QSO and continues until the beginning of the clock minute before the next logged QSO, and if there are not enough such consecutive minutes to meet the contest rules for off times, that time interval counts as operating time. Full clock minutes at the beginning and end of the contest during which no contact is logged qualify as off time and do not count towards the operating time.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 07:57 AM, Gilbert Baron W0MN wrote:

How does N1MM calculate operating time

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--
W0MN Rochester, MN

Gilbert Baron W0MN

A good explanation for a contest with a time off minimum. How about one like 160CW where there is no off requirement. If I want to track how many hours I actually was on and searching or CQing or actually participating must I simply close the N1MM window? If I do that is operating time only the amount of time the window was open or what? Seems no easy way other than closing down N1MM because no way for it to tell if I am at the radio or just listening or what I am doing especially if I am not turning any radio knobs. Not a big deal as I could keep track of my own time but wonder what happens in the no off time required case.

[...]

It does not count the time the program is open. After all, you might leave the program open for days on end without ever being at the radio. It has no way to know whether you are listening or not.

It counts time based on when QSOs are actually logged. If you spend the entire contest SWLing and never make a contact, it will credit you with zero operating time.

From the manual description of the View menu items at
<https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-windows/entry-window/#view-menu-selections>:

Off Times – Shows off times. Lists each off period that complies with the contest rules, or each off-time of 30 minutes or more if the contest rules do not specify.

In other words, if there are no off-time rules for that particular contest, it assumes a 30-minute period for calculating off times. If you take a break of less than 30 minutes between logged contacts, it counts that as operating time, but a gap of more than 30 minutes with no contacts logged will be counted as off time.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 03:03 PM, Gilbert Baron W0MN wrote:

[...]

danzee

Log a specific bogus call when you want to start or stop the clock. Later examine the Cabtillo log and figure the times by hand or Excel. Then remove the bogus callsigns.

[...]

Fred - NA2U

I’ve been looking for that for a long time. Thanks, Rich!

73 from the desert,

Fred/NA2U