Topics

Potential Logging Issues For 2019 CW WW DX SSB Contest

Tom Owens

N1MM – Potential Issue Logging Certain Calls In CQWW Contents (Other as Well)

Testing some stuff before the CQ WW DX SSB Contest tomorrow.  I believe there are some problems.

ONE.

CE9 can be in Zone 12, 13, 29, 30, 32 and 39

In each case the country is Antarctica

Logging CE9ABC should go in as CE9 Antarctica

Logging that call does populate the correct zone, depending on what is entered in the zone field.

However, it does NOT show up as CE9 in the Countries window, or anything as far as I can tell.

TWO

VK9 call signs.  No way I can find to correct the error if calls are logged as the wrong country.

For example, zone 29 can be:  Cocos-Keeling or Christmas Island.  If other that C or X are the first letter in the suffice all bets are off for what county is going to be identified in the countries window.  And the Edit Contact window does not allow changing an incorrect country to the correct country.

Same issue applies to zone 30, which can also have different countries:  Lord Howe Island, Mellish Reef, and Willis Island.

THREE

VP8 callsigns.  All are in zone 13 but can be:  Falkland Islands, South Georgia, South Orkney, South Sandwich or South Shetland.  Again, there does not appear to me to be a way to correct an incorrect entry.  When we work a VP8 we always ask what country there are in so that it can be logged correctly.

Same comment about asking the operator what country he is in applies to zones 29 and 30 as well.

FOUR

JW can be: JW-S Svalbard or JW/b Bear Island.  Again, when working a JW station we ask which country they are in so we can log it correctly.  N1MM does not appear to have a way to append the /b for Bear Island.

I have suggestions on how to address these issues if the program team is interested.

John Bednar

Tom,

If needed, users change the zone that come from the country file before logging the qso.

The logged qso zone can be changed after logging an entry mistake occurs.

John, K3CT

[...]

Pete Smith

Also be sure you are using a current wl_cty.dat file.  Just taking Antarctica as an example, the file says:

Antarctica:               13:  74:  SA:  -90.00:     0.00:     0.0:  CE9:
    3Y[73],AX0(39)[69],AY1Z[73],AY2Z[73],AY3Z[73],AY4Z[73],AY5Z[73],AY6Z[73],
    AY7Z[73],AY8Z[73],AY9Z[73],FT0Y(30)[70],FT1Y(30)[70],FT2Y(30)[70],
    FT3Y(30)[70],FT4Y(30)[70],FT5Y(30)[70],FT6Y(30)[70],FT7Y(30)[70],
    FT8Y(30)[70],LU1Z[73],LU2Z[73],LU3Z[73],LU4Z[73],LU5Z[73],LU6Z[73],
    LU7Z[73],LU8Z[73],LU9Z[73],RI1AN(29)[69],VI0(39)[69],VK0(39)[69],
    ZL5(30)[71],ZM5(30)[71],ZS7(38)[67],=8J1RL(39)[67],=DP0GVN(38)[67],
    =DP1POL(38)[67],=EM1U[73],=EM1UA[73],=IA0/IZ1KHY/P(29)[70],=KC4AAA(39),
    =KC4AAC[73],=KC4USB(12),=KC4USV(30)[71],=RI1ANC(29)[70],=RI1ANZ(39)[69],
    =VP8AL[73],=VP8CTR[73];

The first line is the default for the "country." Exceptions  with "=" are full callsigns, CQ zones are in "()" and IARU zones in "[]".  As you can see, AD1C tries hard to keep up with the exceptions.  and of course you can always change the prefilled zone depending on what you copy.  Pity the poor non-US competitors, who have to contend with our many, many exceptions!

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 10/25/2019 3:39 AM, Tom Owens via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Pete and John,

Thanks for the input.

Pete, I am using the current  WL-Cty.dat file.  It was installed today.  And the issues still persist.

John, we too change the zone to what we copy BEFORE logging the contact.  Yes, I can change the zone in the Edit Contact window but that does not change the country.  For example, I just logged VK9OOO.  That call could be in zone 29, 30 or 32.  The program logged it as zone 32, Norfolk --- which is correct BUT that call could have been in zone 29 or 30.  For kicks, I went into the Edit Contact window (it is not possible to change the country prefix there as it is grayed out).  I changed the zone there to zone  but the Countries window still show the contact VK9N.  If the zone change took, which it did, the country should have changes to KL7.

The problems occurs in two different ways.  One, there are more than one country in the same zone.  Two, the country can be in one or more zone - HK0 can be ether zone 7 or 9.  The program defaults to zone 7 - HK0A.  Changing the zone to 9 does NOT change the country to HK0M in either the Edit Contact window of the Countries worked window.

If either of you would like to call me I can be reached by phone at 206 935-0457.  I can walk you through the procedure to correctly identify the correct zones and countries.

Tom, K7RI
206 935-0457

Ted Bryant

Tom,

Have you tried using the “Add Call to Country” feature under the Tools menu in the Entry window?

https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-windows/entry-window/#tools-menu-selections

Add call to country – Specify a country for the call-sign in the call-sign textbox in the Entry window. If no call-sign is entered this menu item will be grayed out. This is a quick way during the heat of a contest to add a country temporarily, until the next time you import wl_cty.dat. Making changes permanent requires editing the country file (wl_cty.dat) to be imported.

73, Ted W4NZ

[...]

Hi Ted.  I had forgotten all about that feature, which seems like it would be fine during the QSO.  Do you know any way to fix it once the QSO has been logged?

I just tried to run that tool (Add Call to Country) with a hypothetical VP8 callsign and got the following error:

What to do???

On 10/25/2019 12:12 PM, Ted Bryant wrote:

[...]

Chuck Dietz

If you log the correct zone that is being sent, the correct country will be used in the log checking.

Chuck W5PR

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 11:53 AM Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Pete,

Got the same message when I tried it, too. But I put in a random call of VK9OX which it wanted to log as Norfolk Island. So I tried  the “Add call to country” tool to tell it that this was the same as VK9X Christmas Island, got the error message but put in “VK9X” anyway and it took it.  It then showed VK9OX as Christmas Island.  Hmm…  Maybe the development team can take a look at that message after the contest.

73, Ted W4NZ