From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf
Of Patrick Herborn
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:37 AM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] N1MM Crash due to bad Audio Config

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 13:49:49 +0100 I wrote:

With hindsight perhaps I should have taken a screenshot of the error
message
. and since I still had a copy of the "broken" config, I was able to do just
that... three piccies... one of the error message itself, one of the Windows
error box showing that N1MM+ *MUST* exit and die, and one of the Audio
Config which didn't seem to show anything too untoward...

I also have screenshots of the actual details of the crash, I'll type them
up below to save bandwidth....

Problem Event Name : BEX
Application Name : N1MMLogger.net.exe
Application Version : 1.0.7960.0
Application Timestamp : 5d936ad5
Fault Module Name : StackHash_a7aa
Fault Module Version : 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp : 000000
Exception Offset : 9b10d763
Exception Code : c0000005
Exception Data : 00000008
OS Version : 6.1.7601.2.1.256.48
Locale ID : 2057
Additional Information 1 : a7aa
Additional Information 2 : a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d Additional
Information 3 : a7aa Additional Information 4 :
a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d

Fortunately right now it is a Bohrbug so I can replicate it at will.

I also had a chance to compare .INI files and it looks like there is
something different between this one and the virgin install in the [Other]
section that may well explain WHY it is dying, but that doesn't excuse that
fact that it IS dying (there is an uncaught exception here) :

[Other]
DVK MuteLine=-1
DVK MuteLine 2=-1
DVK RecordChannels=0
DVK Sound Card=2
IngorePacketSpotsBefore=09/19/2019 19:25:55
LastVersionExecuted=1.0.7960.0
SSB Up Down Increment=0.05
TX Sound Card=2
TX Sound Card 2=2

So clearly some reference to a sound card there - being a club machine it is
possible that this has been altered at some point by someone, but as said
above, this shouldn't cause N1MM+ to crash and burn.

Cheers,

Pat. (M0MGO)

--
Patrick Herborn <pat@...>

[...]

Additional Information 4 : a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d

[...]

Just a quick update on this one.

I tried a fresh install on a laptop here, again with Win7 64 bit,
and without configuring the Audio tab. In this case it did NOT
crash, even though neither computer had the Audio configured,
so it looks like there is something peculiar about the one that
crashed. I'll investigate further on Thursday night.

With hindsight perhaps I should have taken a screenshot of the
error message, but I should also be able to roll back the config
to the point where it was crashing and replicate it that way.

Best regards,

Pat. (M0MGO)

--
Patrick Herborn <pat@...>

Patrick Herborn

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 07:30:10 -0400
"John Bednar via Groups.Io" <k3ct=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Pat,
Hiya John!

Post your function key text.
Since we don't use function keys on this machine, the function key
text will be as per installation default (ie we haven't changed it).
I won't have access to this until Thursday night - but presumably
the fact we haven't changed it should help in the meantime.

Were you in S&P or RUN mode?
This was in S&P mode. The only time we went into Run mode last night
was after the event, as a testing thing, where I tried function keys
to see if they, like Insert, could crash N1MM+ and indeed they could.
Once the audio was configured to a dummy device (ie not one connected
to the rig or outputting an audible level of sound) it was possible
to hit F keys - this included F1 which then put N1MM+ into Run mode.

I expect that ESM was enabled.
I don't recall having enabled ESM, so unless it's a default setting
then it wouldn't have been enabled. I should perhaps have stated that
N1MM+ was being used purely as a logger for a VHF SSB contest (though
we do use the spectrum, bandmap, check, log and mults/squares windows).

Please confirm.
I can do that, but not until Thursday.

John, K3CT
Best regards,