Topics

SO2R with 2 sound cards?

ERIC OLSON

Rich,

Wow!  I have never tried Logger+ audio as I have never had a need but this 2 soundcard SO2R setup goes under the “way too easy” category.  The setup was pretty straightforward and I like how it is working.  Even got MMVARI working mono on radio 1 for RTTY if needed.

Thanks for the help!!

73 Eric N7EPD

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of ERIC OLSON <ericn7epd@...>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2019 12:17:02 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] SO2R with 2 sound cards?

Rich
Thank you.  I am concerned with SSB for now and using the wav files in ESM.  I have not used Logger+ audio yet as I have not used the letter/ number voicing but will see if I can get it configured and tested this evening.  If not will use a simpler approach this weekend in the salmon run and work on the fancy stuff later.

My Winkeyer USB handles the CW for 2 radios.

Eric N7EPD

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of ve3ki <ve3iay@...>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2019 11:11:39 AM

The original question did not specify the mode. The programming is done separately for digital modes (in the digital engines) vs. CW/SSB (in N1MM+ itself). With respect to voice modes or CW receiving, if you are using Logger+ audio there are three different choices for the soundcard: a single soundcard (mono), which relies on external switching to route audio to the sound card; a single soundcard L/R, which uses a single 2-channel (stereo) sound card with each radio routed to its own channel in the sound card; and two soundcards (mono), which uses a separate sound card for each radio.

In digital modes, the various digital engines each have their own sound card selection configuration settings, so they can be configured either to share the same data stream for diversity decoding, or to use different data streams for SO2R and SO2V. The two channels in a single stereo sound card can be used for different data streams, so it is not necessary to have separate sound card devices. Alternatively, different digital engines can use separate sound card devices (Windows can support several sound cards in the same system.)

There is no requirement for a KVM switch.

Rich VE3KI

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 01:46 PM, K7IU - Marv wrote:
Now that I think of it, I am sure its possible since I know of people who run 2 different RTTY programs with N1MM during RTTY contests.

Marv k7iu

ERIC OLSON

Rich
Thank you.  I am concerned with SSB for now and using the wav files in ESM.  I have not used Logger+ audio yet as I have not used the letter/ number voicing but will see if I can get it configured and tested this evening.  If not will use a simpler approach this weekend in the salmon run and work on the fancy stuff later.

My Winkeyer USB handles the CW for 2 radios.

Eric N7EPD

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of ve3ki <ve3iay@...>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2019 11:11:39 AM

The original question did not specify the mode. The programming is done separately for digital modes (in the digital engines) vs. CW/SSB (in N1MM+ itself). With respect to voice modes or CW receiving, if you are using Logger+ audio there are three different choices for the soundcard: a single soundcard (mono), which relies on external switching to route audio to the sound card; a single soundcard L/R, which uses a single 2-channel (stereo) sound card with each radio routed to its own channel in the sound card; and two soundcards (mono), which uses a separate sound card for each radio.

In digital modes, the various digital engines each have their own sound card selection configuration settings, so they can be configured either to share the same data stream for diversity decoding, or to use different data streams for SO2R and SO2V. The two channels in a single stereo sound card can be used for different data streams, so it is not necessary to have separate sound card devices. Alternatively, different digital engines can use separate sound card devices (Windows can support several sound cards in the same system.)

Rich VE3KI

Now that I think of it, I am sure its possible since I know of people who run 2 different RTTY programs with N1MM during RTTY contests.

Marv k7iu

ve3ki

Rich VE3KI

Marv k7iu

K7IU - Marv

Marv k7iu

K7IU - Marv

Interesting question Eric,
I assume you only want to use one computer and not two. Using two with a KVM switch to switch between the two machines is an easy enough way to get what you want.
Although I haven’t tried it, I would think that as long as each device creates a separate audio in and audio out device that windows can recognize and you can assign to different digital programs, that it should work.

Marv K7IU

ERIC OLSON

Is it possible to run SO2R with 2 sound cards?  One would be my simple USB sound card to the K3 and the other a Rigblaster Advantage to a FT1000MK5.  Or not possible in Windows?  Only one can be active at a time?  Tried last night and didn't work but thought of a few things I might change and try again but wondering if N1MM or Windows simply can't do that. Had 2 separate PTT set up which might be bad...?

Thanks 
Eric N7EPD