Topics

FW: ICOM-746 TALK TO N1MM

Michael Daly

Does anyone have an Icom 746 working properly with N1MM.  If so can you send me the settings.  My IC 756 PRO III talks to N1MM, but I cannot get the 746 to communicate. I AM RUNNING Windows 10 with an HP 64 bit processor

Mike, n5sj

Ed W2LCQ

In the N1MM+ list of supported radios 

IC-746 using address 56 hex

• VFO-B is a virtual VFO as long it isn’t activated. The scale is not controlled by the VFO-B of the transceiver. It becomes an active VFO when it is activated. The IC-746 is switched to VFO-B and set to the frequency shown in the VFO-B bandmap.

IC-746 PRO using address 66 hex

• USB-D / LSB-D digital modes supported.

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club
CWops 701 - SKCC 5474 - FISTS 12294

On Aug 5, 2019, at 11:46 AM, Michael Daly <n5sj@...> wrote:

Does anyone have an Icom 746 working properly with N1MM.  If so can you send me the settings.  My IC 756 PRO III talks to N1MM, but I cannot get the 746 to communicate. I AM RUNNING Windows 10 with an HP 64 bit processor

Mike, n5sj

Michael Daly

Ed,

I now have a connection between the IC 746 and N1MM, but using SO2R I have a conflict. So I’m slowly gaining on the problem. I think I just need to work with the WinKeyer set up a bit and I will be in business  Thanks for your assistance.

73, Mike, n5sj

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ed W2LCQ via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 11:28 AM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] FW: ICOM-746 TALK TO N1MM

·         

·         VFO-B is a virtual VFO as long it isn’t activated. The scale is not controlled by the VFO-B of the transceiver. It becomes an active VFO when it is activated. The IC-746 is switched to VFO-B and set to the frequency shown in the VFO-B bandmap.

·         

·         USB-D / LSB-D digital modes supported.

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Mike, n5sj

Ed W2LCQ

Good luck Mike. It took me a while to get my 756 Pro III going. Just be patient. Getting the right rig address is most of the battle. 

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

On Aug 16, 2019, at 10:05 PM, Michael Daly <n5sj@...> wrote:

Ed,

I now have a connection between the IC 746 and N1MM, but using SO2R I have a conflict. So I’m slowly gaining on the problem. I think I just need to work with the WinKeyer set up a bit and I will be in business  Thanks for your assistance.

73, Mike, n5sj

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ed W2LCQ via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 11:28 AM

·         

·         VFO-B is a virtual VFO as long it isn’t activated. The scale is not controlled by the VFO-B of the transceiver. It becomes an active VFO when it is activated. The IC-746 is switched to VFO-B and set to the frequency shown in the VFO-B bandmap.

·         

·         USB-D / LSB-D digital modes supported.

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Mike, n5sj

VE9AA - Mike

"...but using SO2R I have a conflict..."

Are you SO2R? If so, what is your second radio and do you have your SO2R controller set up correctly with virtual ports etc?

Should be a cake walk getting your IC-746 talking to N1MM+. Start there with 1 radio before jumping in with 2.

Michael Daly

Mike,

The other radio is an Icom 756 PRO III and I have been using it as my main radio with N1MM and DXLAB Suites for a number of years but never had the 746 hooked up. But now that I’m entering VHF Contests I want to log with the 746 and eventually try my hand at real SO2R.  I now have both radios connected  but there is a conflict between the two radios. I’m working on N1MM first.  I had to change the configuration addresses in N1MM for the 746 to remove the conflict with the 756.  I suspect I need to do something with the WinKeyer but not sure.  I’m first connecting the key to the WinKeyer by making the cable.  I came out tonight to do that, found the appropriate materials and then got distracted with emails and a cw traffic net.  I expect I’m close to having it licked.

Thanks,

Mike, n5sj

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of VE9AA - Mike
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2019 9:10 PM

Are you SO2R? If so, what is your second radio and do you have your SO2R controller set up correctly with virtual ports etc?

Should be a cake walk getting your IC-746 talking to N1MM+. Start there with 1 radio before jumping in with 2.

Michael Daly

Mike,

By the way, I’m joining several other NM and Texas operators and operating from Prince Edward Island next month. Operating the WAE CW Contest

Mike

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of VE9AA - Mike

John Bednar

Mike,

I agree with Mike. The biggest problem that users have poor quality after market CI-V adapters and not knowing how the adapter is powered. This is not a program problem.

In the Config window, do not check CW/Other for either radio COM port. This box should only be checked for the single WinKey port.

Configuring the WinKey is as easy as the Icom radio. Find the correct COM port, Check CW/Other for that port, and check the WinKey box in the COM port window. Done.

John, K3CT

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Daly
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2019 11:55 PM

Mike,

The other radio is an Icom 756 PRO III and I have been using it as my main radio with N1MM and DXLAB Suites for a number of years but never had the 746 hooked up. But now that I’m entering VHF Contests I want to log with the 746 and eventually try my hand at real SO2R.  I now have both radios connected  but there is a conflict between the two radios. I’m working on N1MM first.  I had to change the configuration addresses in N1MM for the 746 to remove the conflict with the 756.  I suspect I need to do something with the WinKeyer but not sure.  I’m first connecting the key to the WinKeyer by making the cable.  I came out tonight to do that, found the appropriate materials and then got distracted with emails and a cw traffic net.  I expect I’m close to having it licked.

Thanks,

Mike, n5sj

VE9AA - Mike

Mike

GL on PEI. Should be fun.  You need some kind of hardware device. (A SO2R controller) to do true SO2R, to switch your mic and headphone audio back n' forth.
You could do basic SO2R with just the winkeyer, but you'll need to at the very least build a box to switch audio around with a toggle switch on it.

Do you have an SO2R controller? ( dx doubler, yccc so2r+ etc?)

Ed W2LCQ

Mike,

I see you are using an ICOM 756 Pro III and computer control. I’ve been using the same rig with N1MM+ and the N3FJP and SKCC loggers on a Dell Windows 10 laptop. At best it works intermittently. The software polls the rig sometimes for a few days or a week then quits.  Sometimes I can restore it but other times I can’t. Shutting down the software and removing the CI-V cable from the rear of the rig and re inserting it sometimes fixes the problem and then it doesn’t. I have no consistent way of restarting. I have large ferrites with the cable wrapped around. It’s not due to fri I’m sure. If you can offer any ideas how I can get the Pro III to exchange Dara consistently with the loggers I’d really like to hear. Thanks so much!

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

On Aug 17, 2019, at 8:07 AM, VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@...> wrote:

Mike

GL on PEI. Should be fun.  You need some kind of hardware device. (A SO2R controller) to do true SO2R, to switch your mic and headphone audio back n' forth.
You could do basic SO2R with just the winkeyer, but you'll need to at the very least build a box to switch audio around with a toggle switch on it.

Jim W7RY

Ed, please tell your setup. Are you using a real serial port or a USB to serial converter? What type of CI-V converter? Or are you using some sort of USB to CI-V converter?

Jim W7RY

Thanks
Jim W7RY
On 8/17/2019 1:59 PM, Ed W2LCQ via Groups.Io wrote:

Mike,

I see you are using an ICOM 756 Pro III and computer control. I’ve been using the same rig with N1MM+ and the N3FJP and SKCC loggers on a Dell Windows 10 laptop. At best it works intermittently. The software polls the rig sometimes for a few days or a week then quits.  Sometimes I can restore it but other times I can’t. Shutting down the software and removing the CI-V cable from the rear of the rig and re inserting it sometimes fixes the problem and then it doesn’t. I have no consistent way of restarting. I have large ferrites with the cable wrapped around. It’s not due to fri I’m sure. If you can offer any ideas how I can get the Pro III to exchange Dara consistently with the loggers I’d really like to hear. Thanks so much!

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Mike

Ed W2LCQ

Hi Jim,

I’m using a USB to serial converter. The cable is by Valley Enterprises. It is a CI-V cable made for the ICOM 756 Pro III. It is on COM port 3 of the Windows 10 Dell laptop. Thanks for any ideas you may have. 

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

On Aug 17, 2019, at 7:32 PM, Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@...> wrote:

Ed, please tell your setup. Are you using a real serial port or a USB to serial converter? What type of CI-V converter? Or are you using some sort of USB to CI-V converter?

Jim W7RY

Thanks
Jim W7RY
Mike,

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Mike

Michael Daly

Ed,

I only use N1MM and DXLAB Suites.  I have never had  that problem. Let me give you the configuration is use in N1MM:

COM7 for me is IC-756PROIII

Settings: Speed 19200; Parity N; DTR=Always off, RTS=Always On, Tx=1. 

COM4 for me is the cw set up>  CK the CW/Other Box; DTR=Always On; RTS = Always Off; Radio Nr 1; PTT delay 30; check the Winkey Box

Two Radio Protocol = None [maybe this is my problem??]; Foot Switch= None [but I do use one]

And in my case  I have the SO2R box checked in the Configurer

Maybe those settings will help.

Mike, n5sj

Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2019 12:59 PM

Mike,

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Mike

Michael Daly

Ed,

Also I’m using an HP Z420 workstation with an SSD Drive.

Mike, n5sj

Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2019 12:59 PM

Mike,

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Mike

Jim W7RY

Ed.
First, I would use a GOOD QUALITY USB to Ci-V cable like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-USB-CAT-Programming-Cable-ICOM-CAT-CI-V-IC-7100-IC-7200-IC-7300-CT-17/151534920013?hash=item23482f614d:g:OvEAAOSwsI9aEIfk

This vendor (Ive bought cables from him and they work) guarantees his cables and they are true FTDI chipsets. Not some knockoff, which there are hundreds of that never work right. He also has some great info on his auction page that describes the fakes and counterfeit stuff.

Or a USB to serial cable from the same vendor, and a GOOD QUALITY serial to CI-V device like an Icom CT-17.

I used a multi-port serial card and a homebrew CI-V device and it worked flawlessly with N1MM on my IC756 series of radios including the PRO III.

****Also, make sure you have the power saving option turned off on all of the USB ports of your PC. (Device manager, select every USB hub and port one at a time, and un-check - "allow windows to turn off this device to save power".

Good luck. Let us know how you do.
Thanks
Jim W7RY
On 8/17/2019 8:42 PM, Ed W2LCQ via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Jim,

I’m using a USB to serial converter. The cable is by Valley Enterprises. It is a CI-V cable made for the ICOM 756 Pro III. It is on COM port 3 of the Windows 10 Dell laptop. Thanks for any ideas you may have. 

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Jim W7RY

Thanks
Jim W7RY
Mike,

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Mike

Ed W2LCQ

Jim,

Thanks for your ideas. I sent an email to Mark KJ6ZWL describing the problem and asking which cable he recommends. I have a spare Valley Enterprises cable but when I connect it Windows changes the COM port. Not sure what to do. When I put the original cable back it switches it back to COM 3 which is what N1MM+ is on. The only other idea I have is to send the rig to a tech (ICOM no longer supports the 756 Pro III). The jack maybe mechanically unsound or I’ve heard that transistors may be faulty. I’m willing to give Mark’s cable a try in any case. 

I enjoyed reading your QRZ page. I always like hearing how folks discovered ham radio. Yours was a particularly good story!

All best, Ed

73, Ed Jones W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

On Aug 17, 2019, at 10:40 PM, Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@...> wrote:

Ed.
First, I would use a GOOD QUALITY USB to Ci-V cable like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-USB-CAT-Programming-Cable-ICOM-CAT-CI-V-IC-7100-IC-7200-IC-7300-CT-17/151534920013?hash=item23482f614d:g:OvEAAOSwsI9aEIfk

This vendor (Ive bought cables from him and they work) guarantees his cables and they are true FTDI chipsets. Not some knockoff, which there are hundreds of that never work right. He also has some great info on his auction page that describes the fakes and counterfeit stuff.

Or a USB to serial cable from the same vendor, and a GOOD QUALITY serial to CI-V device like an Icom CT-17.

I used a multi-port serial card and a homebrew CI-V device and it worked flawlessly with N1MM on my IC756 series of radios including the PRO III.

****Also, make sure you have the power saving option turned off on all of the USB ports of your PC. (Device manager, select every USB hub and port one at a time, and un-check - "allow windows to turn off this device to save power".

Good luck. Let us know how you do.
Thanks
Jim W7RY
On 8/17/2019 8:42 PM, Ed W2LCQ via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Jim,

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Jim W7RY

Thanks
Jim W7RY
Mike,

73, Ed W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Mike

AB2ZY

The typical problem with these USB-Serial “cables” (it’s more than just a cable) is the chipset used. The most common manufacturer is Prolific and their chips are the most commonly counterfeited by the Chinese. They will usually work with the original driver supplied on the unmarked mini CD, but if you ever lose it you are SOL as it’s rare to find a replacement with a Google search. O/S upgrades are an issue as well, since the upgrade can’t tell it’s a counterfeit chip and will install a Prolific supplied driver which Prolific (IIRC) deliberately disables when it finds its being used with a counterfeit. I don’t blame them.

Al

AB2ZY

Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2019 6:57 PM

Jim,

Thanks for your ideas. I sent an email to Mark KJ6ZWL describing the problem and asking which cable he recommends. I have a spare Valley Enterprises cable but when I connect it Windows changes the COM port. Not sure what to do. When I put the original cable back it switches it back to COM 3 which is what N1MM+ is on. The only other idea I have is to send the rig to a tech (ICOM no longer supports the 756 Pro III). The jack maybe mechanically unsound or I’ve heard that transistors may be faulty. I’m willing to give Mark’s cable a try in any case. 

I enjoyed reading your QRZ page. I always like hearing how folks discovered ham radio. Yours was a particularly good story!

All best, Ed

73, Ed Jones W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

Pete Smith

In my experience, most sellers of USB to serial converters with FTDI chips mention that on the box and in their advertising.  In 20-some years with N1MM, starting back when USB ports were rare, I don't recall ever seeing a complaint about an FTDI converter not working.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network 
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now 
spotting RTTY activity worldwide. 
For spots, please use your favorite 
"retail" DX cluster.
On 8/18/2019 7:16 PM, AB2ZY wrote:

The typical problem with these USB-Serial “cables” (it’s more than just a cable) is the chipset used. The most common manufacturer is Prolific and their chips are the most commonly counterfeited by the Chinese. They will usually work with the original driver supplied on the unmarked mini CD, but if you ever lose it you are SOL as it’s rare to find a replacement with a Google search. O/S upgrades are an issue as well, since the upgrade can’t tell it’s a counterfeit chip and will install a Prolific supplied driver which Prolific (IIRC) deliberately disables when it finds its being used with a counterfeit. I don’t blame them.

Al

AB2ZY

Jim,

All best, Ed

73, Ed Jones W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

NA6MB <na6mb.mike@...>

You need to use an older prolific driver...
Use Driver 3.2.0.0 or older.

NA6MB 
Mike

On Aug 19, 2019, at 8:22 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

In my experience, most sellers of USB to serial converters with FTDI chips mention that on the box and in their advertising.  In 20-some years with N1MM, starting back when USB ports were rare, I don't recall ever seeing a complaint about an FTDI converter not working.

73, Pete N4ZR
"retail" DX cluster.

Al

AB2ZY

Jim,

All best, Ed

73, Ed Jones W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club

NA6MB <na6mb.mike@...>

And make sure it is still installed any time the OS updates.

Mike
NA6MB 

On Aug 19, 2019, at 10:33 PM, NA6MB via Groups.Io <na6mb.mike@...> wrote:

You need to use an older prolific driver...
Use Driver 3.2.0.0 or older.

NA6MB 
Mike

On Aug 19, 2019, at 8:22 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

73, Pete N4ZR
"retail" DX cluster.

Al

AB2ZY

Jim,

All best, Ed

73, Ed Jones W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club