Topics

can the 7300 share the USB comport with rig control and rtty keying?

Jamie WW3S

Trying to set up FSK, using EXTFSK and MMTTY, using the same comport thats established for rig control, setup for keying via DTR in both the radio and the software (N1MM) but Im getting a red NG status from EXTFSK

Mike ND9G

Others have done it differently. I used CJ's (WT2P) writeup using VSPE and it worked very well for me.

73,
Mike ND9G

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 9:46 AM Jamie WW3S <ww3s@...> wrote:
Trying to set up FSK, using EXTFSK and MMTTY, using the same comport thats established for rig control, setup for keying via DTR in both the radio and the software (N1MM) but Im getting a red NG status from EXTFSK

Rick Ellison

Jamie..

There is a document on the website explaining how to setup things with the 7300 and other Icom usb driver radios. Here is the link to it..

https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/n1mmwpfiles/Download/Additional%20Support%20Files/IcomUSBCodecInstructions.pdf

73 Rick N2AMG

Trying to set up FSK, using EXTFSK and MMTTY, using the same comport thats established for rig control, setup for keying via DTR in both the radio and the software (N1MM) but Im getting a red NG status from EXTFSK

It will work CW and AFSK with one cable. That is how I have mine setup. With the filtering in the radio AFSK is just as good as FSK. Just set the radio into USB-D or LSB-D depending on how you want things for RTTY. I have the radio sending on the RTS line for PTT and CW on the DTR line. Just switch to CW mode and your all set to send cw.

73 Rick

Trying to set up FSK, using EXTFSK and MMTTY, using the same comport thats established for rig control, setup for keying via DTR in both the radio and the software (N1MM) but Im getting a red NG status from EXTFSK

Jamie WW3S

thats my problem Rick, I'm not seeing the Data modes.....how do I get to LSB-D on the radio, and how do I tell MM thats the mode to use, because it keeps switching to RTTY

It will work CW and AFSK with one cable. That is how I have mine setup. With the filtering in the radio AFSK is just as good as FSK. Just set the radio into USB-D or LSB-D depending on how you want things for RTTY. I have the radio sending on the RTS line for PTT and CW on the DTR line. Just switch to CW mode and your all set to send cw.

73 Rick

Trying to set up FSK, using EXTFSK and MMTTY, using the same comport thats established for rig control, setup for keying via DTR in both the radio and the software (N1MM) but Im getting a red NG status from EXTFSK

On the Mode tab of the config for the RTTY dropdown select AFSK (LSB-D) or AFSK-R (USB-D) and do the same thing for the PSK dropdown selection.

73 Rick

thats my problem Rick, I'm not seeing the Data modes.....how do I get to LSB-D on the radio, and how do I tell MM thats the mode to use, because it keeps switching to RTTY

It will work CW and AFSK with one cable. That is how I have mine setup. With the filtering in the radio AFSK is just as good as FSK. Just set the radio into USB-D or LSB-D depending on how you want things for RTTY. I have the radio sending on the RTS line for PTT and CW on the DTR line. Just switch to CW mode and your all set to send cw.

73 Rick

Trying to set up FSK, using EXTFSK and MMTTY, using the same comport thats established for rig control, setup for keying via DTR in both the radio and the software (N1MM) but Im getting a red NG status from EXTFSK

Jamie WW3S

the instructions are a little unclear to me.....once I split the port using VSPE, do I set BOTH the cat port and the FSK port to the same new virtual/split port? In my case, the original created by the Icom driver was COM16, I split it to 4 using VSPE, and I get the initialization ok message...then in MM do I set the radio port ot 4, and also COM4 in EXTFSK?

Others have done it differently. I used CJ's (WT2P) writeup using VSPE and it worked very well for me.

73,
Mike ND9G

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 9:46 AM Jamie WW3S <ww3s@...> wrote:
Trying to set up FSK, using EXTFSK and MMTTY, using the same comport thats established for rig control, setup for keying via DTR in both the radio and the software (N1MM) but Im getting a red NG status from EXTFSK

ve3ki

AFAIK Windows won't allow N1MM+ and EXTFSK both to open the same COM port number. I don't know how VSPE works. If it allows one program to connect to COM16 and the other one to connect to COM4, then choose COM4 for N1MM+ and COM16 for EXTFSK. You might also have to configure VSPE to prevent changes to RTS and DTR initiated by N1MM+ on COM4 from being passed through to the radio on COM16. The only app that should be allowed to toggle DTR and RTS on the radio port should be EXTFSK - it will use DTR and/or RTS for FSK and PTT keying, as determined by the IC-7300's setup menu.

It would be easier to use AFSK. No VSPE, no EXTFSK, and no worries about conflicting uses of DTR and RTS.

On 2019-07-18 11:56 AM, Jamie WW3S wrote:
Thanks Rick....do you know if the 7300 will do cw/fsk via the one cable without splitting it?
NO. CAT (N1MM+ Radio) port and EXTFSK (FSK/PTT) *MUST* have separately numbered ports (e.g., COM4, COM5). *EVERY* operating system - DOS,
Windows, MacOS, LINUX, etc. allows only one application to open a
serial port at any one time. The "splitter" software is an application
(or kernel driver) that opens the single hardware/virtual port and exposes two (or more) unique ports for other applications to use.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On Jul 18, 2019, at 11:46 AM, Rick Ellison <rellison@...> wrote:

Jamie..
There is a document on the website explaining how to setup things with the 7300 and other Icom usb driver radios. Here is the link to it..
https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/n1mmwpfiles/Download/Additional%20Support%20Files/IcomUSBCodecInstructions.pdf

73 Rick N2AMG

Others have done it differently. I used CJ's (WT2P) writeup using VSPE and it worked very well for me.

73,
Mike ND9G

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 9:46 AM Jamie WW3S <ww3s@...> wrote:
Trying to set up FSK, using EXTFSK and MMTTY, using the same comport thats established for rig control, setup for keying via DTR in both the radio and the software (N1MM) but Im getting a red NG status from EXTFSK

B. Smith

Jamie,
After you are in LSB by selecting SSB, then touch DATA (lower right). LSB-D is RTTY standard.
Bill

B. Smith

I wasted time on that trying to get FSK working - NOT WORTH IT - AFSK and FSK are indistinguishable according to MMTTY documents.

B. Smith

I got it working too, but have deleted that config from my SD card. Messing with the splitter, etc. not worth it!

Dany VE2EBK

Hi Jamie

The FSK works well but VPSE is needed.
After several trial-error, I wrote a document for others amateurs here but it is in French for the moment. If you need it, email me and I will translate it for you.

It would be simpler if the firmware of the IC-7300 created 2 com ports as with other ICOM radio rather than one.

Jamie WW3S

Thanks Dany, I’ve got it working with VPSE....