Topics

Experimental Version Better integration between N1MM and WSJT-X/JTDX

Rick Ellison

I have posted an Experimental version in the Experimental directory on the
web site. This is just experimental. If you are going to do any serious
contesting don't download it.

What this version does is provide radio communication in WSJT-X and JTDX
with no virtual serial ports or anything like that. N1MM provides all of the
radio communications, and makes WSJT-X/JTDX act more like a digital engine
in N1MM. You do not need to stop the radio in N1MM while working with WSJT-X
or JTDX logging in WSJT-X and JTDX take place as they already do and N1MM
opens and closes WSJT-X/JTDX.

To accomplish this a couple of settings need to be done.

1. Make a copy of your current WSJT-X/JTDX install directory and if you have
the logger setup as SO1V or SO2V create a single new directory and paste the
contents of your current WSJT-X/JTDX directory into that newly created
directory. If you use N1MM in SO2R mode create a second directory and paste
the contents into that created directory.

2. In N1MM's config click on the mode tab and make sure the mode settings
that N1MM use to place your radio's digital mode setting are correctly set
for PSK mode. (USB,LSB,RTTY,RTTY-R,PSK,PSK-U,AFSK,AFSK-R). When N1MM loads
WSJT-X/JTDX it will place your radio into the mode that you have set for PSK
Mode. WSJT-X/JTDX will use DATA-U and DATA-L for digital modes. The Logger
will make this translation from what your settings are.

3. Open N1MM's config window and click on the digital tab. At the bottom of
that tab are entries for entering the path to where WSJT-X/JTDX resides. If
you are in SO1V and SO2V mode the second settings will be disabled. If you
are in SO2R make sure you enter a path in both locations.

The rest of the settings will need to be done after WSJT-X/JTDX opens up. So
close the config window.

If the logger is in SO1V and SO2V Mode, WSJT-X and JTDX will use the radio
associated with Entry Window #1. If the logger is in SO2R, WSJT-X/JTDX will
use the radio associated with the Entry Window that WSJT-X/JTDX was opened
from.

If the logger is in SO1V or SO2V modes the digital window and WSJT-X/JTDX
cannot be open at the same time. If the digital window is open and you open
WSJT-X/JTDX the digital window will close. If you have WSJT-X/JTDX open and
then open the digital window WSJT-X/JTDX will close. If the logger is in
SO2R mode when opening WSJT-X/JTDX it will check the window that opened
WSJT-X/JTDX to see if the digital window is open. If it is it will then
close it.

There are 2 ways to open WSJT-X/JTDX, In the Entry window call sign box the
user can type FT8 or FT4 and WSJT-X/JTDX will open. Or in the Entry Windows
you will find a new menu item under the windows menu "Load WSJT-X/JTDX" in
order for N1MM to manage the communications between N1MM and WSJT-X/JTDX you
MUST load WSJT-X/JTDX thru N1MM via the two ways mentioned. If you load the
program outside of N1MM the 2 programs will not talk to each other and you
will get an error message from either WSJT-X or JTDX.

To finish the settings open WSJT-X or JTDX by one of the 2 ways mentioned
and once it is open click File and then settings. Note all of your settings
are blank. You can either enter them all over or I will explain below how to
copy them over. To get things to work initially enter your call and your
grid. And then click on the radio tab. On the radio tab click the radio
selection dropdown and select "DX Lab Suite Commander" on that tab you will
need to select your PTT method. If you are using CAT commands via N1MM for
your radio now select CAT. For Mode if you are using a digital mode on your
radio select Data/Pkt. For split this is your choice but the interface does
support split via the Rig. Click ok to save the settings If things are
working correctly and your radio is turned on WSJT-X/JTDX should be showing
the same frequency as your radio and the green circle next to the frequency
should be green.

To save your setting from previous to the current setup: Open your windows
File manager. You will need to navigate to C:\Users\<Users
Name>\Appdata\Local
In that directory you will find some of these directories. WSJT-X, WSJT-X -
ForEW1 and maybe WSJT-X - ForEW2. Open the WSJT-X directory and copy all of
the files in that directory.
Next you will move to the WSJT-X - ForEW1 directory and paste all of the
files into it. Once you have pasted all of the files into that directory
click on the file called WSJT-X.ini after selecting it Right click on it and
select Rename. You are going to change the name from WSJT-X.ini to WSJT-X -
ForEW1.ini. Now when you open WST from the first Entry Window your settings
are saved. At some point if you open WSJT-X from the second Entry window
you will need to do the same but you will rename the .ini file WSJT-X -
ForEW2.
The first time opening WSJT-X after doing this you will need to reselect the
radio selection and save it.

Don't use this for normal contesting and if you get any error reports or
bugs you see please let me know.

73 Rick N2AMG

ERIC OLSON

Rick,

I loaded the latest update (7687) which has this WSJT interface incorporated in it and I love it.  Thank you thank you!!  No more shutting down N1MM+, opening a manual version and then WSJT.

Question: is the WSJT-X program still in control of PTT when running this way?  I.E. I still can’t use my Winkeyer USB for PTT?

Observations:  Modes switch as expected when entering them into the callsign field and the DI window for RTTY and WSJT-X open/ close as needed but when switching from FT8 to CW or SSB the radio changes but WSJT-X is still running.  I have to close the Radio Connection window to make it stop.  Not requesting anything here (unless the fix is really easy) but just noting what happens.

Entering JT65 or MSK144 does nothing so guess the only hot switch is “FT8” in the call field.. Assume the mode can be changed in WSJT-X and will log the same in N1MM?

But very smooth.  Wish I had a way to run some experimental VHF contest contacts and see how it logs.  Not until June…

Thanks again!

Eric N7EPD

[...]

Hi Eric..

Just getting to your email. It’s been really busy around here the last couple of weeks...

See my comments below…

73 Rick

I loaded the latest update (7687) which has this WSJT interface incorporated in it and I love it.  Thank you thank you!!  No more shutting down N1MM+, opening a manual version and then WSJT.

Question: is the WSJT-X program still in control of PTT when running this way?  I.E. I still can’t use my Winkeyer USB for PTT?

[Rick Ellison>] No WSJT sends a message to N1MM and tells it when to go to PTT. I’m not sure why the Winkey would not work. As long as it was working previously in N1MM it should continue to do now.  When I get a chance I will pull my winkey out and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

Observations:  Modes switch as expected when entering them into the callsign field and the DI window for RTTY and WSJT-X open/ close as needed but when switching from FT8 to CW or SSB the radio changes but WSJT-X is still running.  I have to close the Radio Connection window to make it stop.  Not requesting anything here (unless the fix is really easy) but just noting what happens.

[Rick Ellison>] I’ll take a look at this this week and see why. It won’t be in this week’s build unless I can find it later tonight.

Entering JT65 or MSK144 does nothing so guess the only hot switch is “FT8” in the call field.. Assume the mode can be changed in WSJT-X and will log the same in N1MM?

[Rick Ellison>] For now I have only setup FT8 and FT4 I will add the other modes when I get a chance. I was hoping for a way to put WSJT into a certain mode when it loads but that didn’t seem to make an impression on them… Any mode that is logged in WSJT should log correctly in N1MM let me know if it does not…

[...]

Your email instructions said to set up PTT on the same tab as DX Lab Commander Suite for the “radio” so I thought PTT was handled by WSJT-X.  I set it to COM 5 RTS like it was when WSJT-X was in control of the radio through the K3 RS232 cable.  I actually don’t know if the Winkeyer was also activating PTT or not.  I could connect an LED light and see next I am in the shack.  How should it be set to allow N1MM+ to use the Winkeyer USB when WSJT-X is sending?

Mode control: I found the Mode Control tab in configuration of N1MM+ is where the DATA A is set when running with WSJT-X.  The radio mode setting in WSJT didn’t seem to have any affect when running like this.

Glad you survived Dayton!

73 Eric N7EPD

[...]

My earlier observation of mode control was inaccurate.  If the mode in WSJT-X is set to USB then the radio switches to USB.  But if the mode is set to Data/PKT then the mode sent to the radio follows what is set in the Mode Control Tab of N1MM for PSK.  And I like that.

PTT:  If I set PTT Method in WSJTX to CAT the Winkeyer USB PTT is working (woohoo!!!!!)  In fact if I set it back to COM5 RTS like a couple days ago no PTT would work- wonder if the update to 7698 today had an affect.  Tried a temporary change in N1MM configuration to COM5 RTS for PTT and WSJT would key the rig but again only under CAT control.

I set up a test RTTY Roundup log and setup in WSJT to listen to the masses on 14.074 this evening.  The decode list is working fine.  However I realized the REPORTING tab in WSJT was at default settings due to the copy/ paste into the new folders for this latest interface method.  I.E. the Accept UDP requests box was not checked like it used to have to be.  But port 2237 works fine.  Of course the N1MM+ logger broadcasts section is no longer needed.

Very happy with this new system and can’t wait to put it to use in the June VHF contest.

Thanks for all your efforts!!!

73 Eric N7EPD

[...]

John Kludt

Rick,

Very nice!  Only one question and I probably should know the answer but I don't.  When I invoke FT8 the background behind the bandplan turns blue - what does that mean?

Sorry to be stupid.

John

Rick Ellison

My earlier observation of mode control was inaccurate.  If the mode in WSJT-X is set to USB then the radio switches to USB.  But if the mode is set to Data/PKT then the mode sent to the radio follows what is set in the Mode Control Tab of N1MM for PSK.  And I like that.

Rick Ellison> When using the Data/PKT setting WSJT-X sends the mode of DATA-L or DATA-U to N1MM this then gets translated to the mode configured for PSK. When you set USB and the mode is sent to N1MM it then will just use USB and not do any translations like when using the Data/PKT setting.

PTT:  If I set PTT Method in WSJTX to CAT the Winkeyer USB PTT is working (woohoo!!!!!)  In fact if I set it back to COM5 RTS like a couple days ago no PTT would work- wonder if the update to 7698 today had an affect.  Tried a temporary change in N1MM configuration to COM5 RTS for PTT and WSJT would key the rig but again only under CAT control.

Rick Ellison> I have not looked at the WSJT source lately but it needed to be set to CAT in order for it to send the PTT commands thru the Commander interface. It you set it to a com port then it would try to handle PTT on its own  There were no changes that dealt with the PTT in the latest update.

73 Rick N2AMG

[...]

Pete W1RM

I look forward to the progress Rick.  At one point clicking on a call in the decode window did initiate a contact but no longer.  Trying to keep up with the scrolling blast of calls on a busy band isn’t fun.

Pete, W1RM

W1RM@...