Topics

Saving window positions

Jim N7US
 

I like the option to be able to save and restore window positions.  I have two monitors which gives me flexibility, but I frequently switch between RTTY and CW, so I typically reposition windows each time I change modes.

 

A feature that I liked in Writelog was that it saved window positions for each contest, as I remember.  I realize that N1MM window positions can be saved by operator.  Can that feature be used to save windows by mode without impacting the operator shown in the Cabrillo log?

 

Jim N7US

 

ART W2NRA
 

Hi Jim,

What I do is set up .ini files with a unique name for each mode, radio or other need.  Then create a shortcut with a Target like this:
"W:\N1MM Logger+\N1MMLogger.net.exe" "INI=n1mm logger-IC7300.ini"

That's for my IC-7300 and I use the default shortcut for my IC-7610.

I also created one without rig or more settings for reviewing logs or updating N1MM Logger+:
"W:\N1MM Logger+\N1MMLogger.net.exe" "INI=N1MM Logger-Review.ini"

Updates only need be done on one ini.  I usually use the Review for updates.

73 art w2nra

On 4/28/2019 12:07, Jim N7US wrote:

I like the option to be able to save and restore window positions.  I have two monitors which gives me flexibility, but I frequently switch between RTTY and CW, so I typically reposition windows each time I change modes.

 

A feature that I liked in Writelog was that it saved window positions for each contest, as I remember.  I realize that N1MM window positions can be saved by operator.  Can that feature be used to save windows by mode without impacting the operator shown in the Cabrillo log?

 

Jim N7US

 

Lee Clayton
 

I second that request

#iPhone Xs MAX
Al mal tiempo, buena cara.
#IDrunkTheAppleKoolAid

On Apr 28, 2019, at 11:25 AM, ART W2NRA via Groups.Io <w2nra@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

What I do is set up .ini files with a unique name for each mode, radio or other need.  Then create a shortcut with a Target like this:
"W:\N1MM Logger+\N1MMLogger.net.exe" "INI=n1mm logger-IC7300.ini"

That's for my IC-7300 and I use the default shortcut for my IC-7610.

I also created one without rig or more settings for reviewing logs or updating N1MM Logger+:
"W:\N1MM Logger+\N1MMLogger.net.exe" "INI=N1MM Logger-Review.ini"

Updates only need be done on one ini.  I usually use the Review for updates.

73 art w2nra

On 4/28/2019 12:07, Jim N7US wrote:

I like the option to be able to save and restore window positions.  I have two monitors which gives me flexibility, but I frequently switch between RTTY and CW, so I typically reposition windows each time I change modes.

 

A feature that I liked in Writelog was that it saved window positions for each contest, as I remember.  I realize that N1MM window positions can be saved by operator.  Can that feature be used to save windows by mode without impacting the operator shown in the Cabrillo log?

 

Jim N7US

 

ve3ki
 

One way to do this is to use a different ini file for each setup. See <http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Program+Installation+and+Setup&structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation#Multiple_ini_Files>.

73,
Rich VE3KI


On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 12:07 PM, Jim N7US wrote:

I like the option to be able to save and restore window positions.  I have two monitors which gives me flexibility, but I frequently switch between RTTY and CW, so I typically reposition windows each time I change modes.

 

A feature that I liked in Writelog was that it saved window positions for each contest, as I remember.  I realize that N1MM window positions can be saved by operator.  Can that feature be used to save windows by mode without impacting the operator shown in the Cabrillo log?

 

Jim N7US

 

Gerry Treas
 

I've kept reading on on here about storing different windows setups using different .ini files.  I've used these for different rig configs but I only get the last saved windows positions.  I have never been able to switch windows position setups using .ini files.  I have always had to re position windows between Digital and CW.  Can anyone please explain how to achieve different windows positions instantly (or just quickly)?
73, Gerry, K8GT

ART W2NRA
 

What I do is set up .ini files with a unique name for each mode, radio or other need.  Then create a shortcut in Properties with a Target like this: 
"W:\N1MM Logger+\N1MMLogger.net.exe" "INI=n1mm logger-IC7300.ini"

Rich, VE3KI,  had a better way to explain this:

73, art w2nra

On Apr 30, 2019, at 4:44 PM, Gerry Treas via Groups.Io <k8qlk@...> wrote:

I've kept reading on on here about storing different windows setups using different .ini files.  I've used these for different rig configs but I only get the last saved windows positions.  I have never been able to switch windows position setups using .ini files.  I have always had to re position windows between Digital and CW.  Can anyone please explain how to achieve different windows positions instantly (or just quickly)?
73, Gerry, K8GT

ve3ki
 

If you want to have one set of window positions for CW contests and a different set of window positions for Digital contests, you can set up a separate ini file and shortcut for each mode. Each one will remember its own last saved window positions. Changes you make in one will not affect the other. As long as you are careful to only start from the CW shortcut when doing a CW contest, and only start from the Digital shortcut when doing a Digital contest, this should work. You could extend this further, e.g. different ini files and shortcuts for RTTY vs. WSJT modes. However, if you want to switch back and forth during the same contest between modes, this is not so convenient - in order to get the desired result, you'd have to shut down the program and restart it from the other shortcut every time you changed modes.

For within-contest window position changes, you might find it quicker to use different operator names instead. You can set up two (or more) different operator names (K8GTCW and K8GTDIGI, for example), and then remember to use the OPON or Ctrl+O command every time you change modes. When switching operators, the program will remember each operator's last saved window positions. This will produce some additional side effects - the different operator names will be stored in the database for each QSO and exported in ADIF, and if you use the Update Ops from Log button in the contest setup dialog, the list of operators exported to Cabrillo will contain whatever operator names you used during that contest.

73,
Rich VE3KI


On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 04:45 PM, Gerry Treas wrote:
I've kept reading on on here about storing different windows setups using different .ini files.  I've used these for different rig configs but I only get the last saved windows positions.  I have never been able to switch windows position setups using .ini files.  I have always had to re position windows between Digital and CW.  Can anyone please explain how to achieve different windows positions instantly (or just quickly)?
73, Gerry, K8GT

danzee
 

I have several user names. I switch window arrangements with a simple OPON command.
 
Dan Zeitlin - K2YWE South Shore ARC - K3AU Annapolis, Maryland http://danzee.org