Topics

TESTERS WANTED: Prototype website

Larry K8UT

For the past two months the N1MM Dev Team has been working to migrate the current website and its 900+ pages of documentation to a new platform. The work is 100% Content-complete and 90% Feature-complete.

Goals
The Primary Goal of the migration is to improve the ease-of-use in installing, configuring, and operating N1MM+ in contests. We cannot reduce the manual's page count, but we think we can deliver better tools for browsing and searching those pages to find the answers that you seek. Hopefully these better tools will bring you quick access to the right information and make you more self-sufficient.
The Secondary Goal is to reduce the burden on the N1MM Dev Team members, who find themselves answering, re-answering and re-re-answering questions that are difficult to get answered on our current ill-equipped website. This new platform should deliver on that primary goal of self-sufficiency.

New Features
At first glance the new website looks like the old website, but under-the-covers things are very different. Some of the most significant improvements are:
  • Reduced Web-Page Count - the material in the new N1MM Manual section consists of 31 web-pages, reduced from the current 104 web-pages. Fewer but Larger web-pages should eliminate much of the page-flipping when looking for answers with a browser's <ctrl>+F find function
  • Expanded Menu - navigate to one of those 31 pages directly from the drop-down menu
  • Search and Advanced Search - it works. It's fast. Sorted by Relevance. Results are highlighted on the page
  • Bug Reports and Feature Requests - transparent, search-able. Read your BRs and FRs on-line. Read postings from other users, and the Dev Team's responses, before deciding if you need to submit one
  • Explorer-like File Download - click-able hierarchy should be easy-to-use and familiar to anyone on Microsoft Windows
  • Single-table Supported Contests List - all 400+ supported contests are listed in one table that can be sorted, searched and filtered. Rather than having to know where to look before you look: Is this a UDC contest? An HF contest? A QSO Party? ...
The Challenge to N1MM+ Users
If you have any spare time, please spend a little on the prototype website. Experiment with the new features listed above - particularly the Search, Advanced Search and Contests List. Create a bogus Bug Report and Feature Request. Leave comments, suggestions and questions in the Comments sections of the Prototype Description page. We hope to take the new website "live" in a few weeks and need some diligent testing before throwing that switch.

-larry (K8UT)

VE2FK

Bravo Larry and the team.
Starting this week I will update Call History files on both site.

73 de Claude VE2FK

Le 2019-04-22 à 08:15, Larry K8UT a écrit :

For the past two months the N1MM Dev Team has been working to migrate the current website and its 900+ pages of documentation to a new platform. The work is 100% Content-complete and 90% Feature-complete.

Matt Murphy

The new site looks great, thanks to all involved for the great work. One suggestion I have (which I have seen used very effectively) is to put a comments area on each page to allow questions to be asked about the content on that page.

Then, periodically, someone can update the page's content to improve upon it so the questions that were asked would not have been asked, while at the same time deleting the questions that were addressed by updating the content and leaving a blank slate for the next round of clarifications/questions.

73,
Matt NQ6N

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 7:34 AM VE2FK <duberger.miousse81@...> wrote:
Bravo Larry and the team.
Starting this week I will update Call History files on both site.

73 de Claude VE2FK

Le 2019-04-22 à 08:15, Larry K8UT a écrit :
For the past two months the N1MM Dev Team has been working to migrate the current website and its 900+ pages of documentation to a new platform. The work is 100% Content-complete and 90% Feature-complete.

Peter Krüger

Looks nice.

One small request for the "supported Contest" list. It may be very nice, if every contest may have a column with the month - and with this someone may easier find a contest, which is running in the moment. (same for selection within N1MM+ may help a lot to avoid searching and trying ...)

--
---
N1mm+Toolbox -> see at  https://df1lx.darc.de

Jim Cooper

On 22 Apr 2019 at 10:59, Peter Krüger wrote:

easier find a contest, which is running in the
moment.
https://www.contestcalendar.com/weeklycont.php

Will tell you more than you could want to know
about what contests are when ...

Gerald Boutin (VE1DT)

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 03:29 PM, Jim Cooper wrote:
On 22 Apr 2019 at 10:59, Peter Krüger wrote:

easier find a contest, which is running in the
moment.
https://www.contestcalendar.com/weeklycont.php

Will tell you more than you could want to know
about what contests are when ...
Of course it is very useful and I am sure that most know to use it. But it doesn't tell you the N1MM+ contest name abbreviation. Being able to narrow down the choices for a given period is a fantastic idea. Month would be good and to the actual date would be fantastic.

I could even get carried away here and also suggest that the program's "New Log" dialog could be enhanced to offer "this weekend's choices" instead of the full list.

--
Gerald, VE1DT

Jim Cooper

On 22 Apr 2019 at 19:27, Gerald Boutin (VE1DT) wrote:

Of course it is very useful and I am
sure that most know to use it. But it
doesn't tell you the N1MM+ contest
name abbreviation. Being able to
narrow down the choices for a given
period is a fantastic idea. Month
would be good and to the actual date
would be fantastic.

I could even get carried away here
and also suggest that the program's
"New Log" dialog could be enhanced
to offer "this weekend's choices"
instead of the full list.
Carried away indeed !! ;))

It might be more practical to see if we could
convince WA7BNM to include the 'N1MM Name'
in his listing ... more practical because the names
don't change, and thus would not have to be
updated all the time like a changing calendar
embedded in N1MM+ would need.

That approach would also tell "at a glance"
whether there IS an embedded contest setup
for a particular contest ...

w2jc

Terry Robinson

Hi Larry,

I’ve had a bit of a go at this and was able to read documentation, the search seemed to work fine (though there’s a button called unlabelled 1 showing, that’s probably “search” or “go” that needs a label).

Sadly none of the downloads seemed to do anything for me, though the selected one was show, I couldn’t download it. Perhaps this material has yet to be added?

I didn’t find an option to submit a bug report, except guidance on how to submit one via the List.

Happy to discuss further or test specific things as necessary.

Cheers and 73,

Terry, GM3WUX

************************************************************ DESCRIBE ONLINE - IMPROVING ACCESS THROUGH INFORMATION Terry Robinson B.Sc Mobile: 07771 610002 Web: www.describe-online.com Inquiries about Describe Online should now be addressed to Ms Bim Egan, mailto:info@...

[...]

__________ ESET NOD32 Antivirus __________

This email was scanned, no threats were found.

Detection engine version: 19236 (20190422)

http://www.eset.com

__________ ESET NOD32 Antivirus __________

This email was scanned, no threats were found.

Detection engine version: 19240 (20190423)

http://www.eset.com

Larry K8UT

gm, Terry

Thanks for sharing your observations. My comments are interspersed below

-larry (K8UT)

I’ve had a bit of a go at this and was able to read documentation, the search seemed to work fine (though there’s a button called unlabelled 1 showing, that’s probably “search” or “go” that needs a label).
hmmm... where is that? Can you give me a screenshot? I do not see anything like you describe.

Sadly none of the downloads seemed to do anything for me, though the selected one was show, I couldn’t download it. Perhaps this material has yet to be added?
Downloads is fully operational. When you navigate to a file, right-click to download or select the download icon (a diskette) in the icon row. Right now the default action is to "Show" the file. I'll see if I can change the default (double-click) action to "Download"

I didn’t find an option to submit a bug report, except guidance on how to submit one via the List.
Bug Reports and Feature Requests are under >Support >Trouble Ticket. You will not see this menu choice unless you register and are logged-in

[...]

Sorry, I can’t provide screen shots here. I heard my screen reader say “unlabelled1 button” just below the search edit box.

Yes, I usually hit enter on items, which effectively simulates a double click action.

I will look at this again in the light of your comments.

Having said this, it would be good to have a digi mode interface analogous to that for CW and SSB. Perhaps that’s one of those “award winning” suggestions that arises from another planet, but it would be good to simply type (mode” (ft8 PSK31 RTTY, or whatever) and have the program do the business as in the conventional modes. This of course, presumes that CAT control of the rig is up to the job, which mine is and that necessary audio signals can be provided either by an internal sound card or external device like Signalink (which I use).

As with much modern technology, there still seems to be so much one needs to know that doesn’t necessarily relate to the intent of the job in hand (HI).

Cheers, thanks and 73 for now,

Terry

[...]

Detection engine version: 19246 (20190424)

http://www.eset.com

__________ ESET NOD32 Antivirus __________

This email was scanned, no threats were found.

Detection engine version: 19247 (20190424)

http://www.eset.com

Donato Ninno - IW2EMD

Hi Larry,

Just a bit on downloads.
The menu propose two "buttons" that drives you to the named folder from you can get things.

Both are some basically shortcuts to the explorer view which takes time itself to load and needs close attention to select right file to download.
It would be nice to have, at least for the most 3 downloaded files (Full Intall, Latest Update and Full Pdf Manual), to just click and get the file without navigate into file explorer.

My 2 cents.
73 IW2EMD Donato

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 2:15 PM Larry K8UT <k8ut@...> wrote:
[...]

danzee

I just started looking at the new site. The first thing I did was search for "spot all qsos." The search yielded essentially the entire manual and highlighted all instances of the letters "all." Next I tried "spot all qso" in quotation marks. That yielded no results.  Either I'm not using the search box correctly, or it needs some work.
As I said, just getting started.
Cheers,
Dan

Dan Zeitlin - K2YWE South Shore ARC - K3AU Annapolis, Maryland http://danzee.org

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 10:10 AM, Donato Ninno - IW2EMD <iw2emd@...> wrote:

[...]

Skip

Look and Feel is great. I have monochrome vision and I seem to be able to find everything. I tried a few searches and it appears that a multi-word search [e.g. "2nd output"] returns every instance of each word. I was looking for the "Use 2nd output" checkbox on the Winkey configuration screen.

Tom Wagner (N1MM)

Search for "Use 2nd" and include the quotes.

Then use Ctl-F when you pick the config page to find the text.

Tom - N1MM

On 4/24/2019 12:41 PM, Skip wrote:
Look and Feel is great. I have monochrome vision and I seem to be able to find everything. I tried a few searches and it appears that a multi-word search [e.g. "2nd output"] returns every instance of each word. I was looking for the "Use 2nd output" checkbox on the Winkey configuration screen.

Larry K8UT

Dan,

I experienced the same issue: too many hits with SPOT ALL QSOS (not in quotes), zero hits with "SPOT ALL QSOS" (in quotes).

So I opened the PDF and did the same search. Zero hits. I don't think that exact expression exists in the manual.

Next, acting on a message from Pete N4ZR, I searched for the exact expression "SPOT ALL S&P QSOS" Zero hits again. But this failed Search was different. Turns out that the Search input field is HTML-sensing, and that & is a reserved character. This is not pretty ... but you can search for a reserved character if you know to use the HTML character code for those few reserved HTML terms. Like & and < and > and ". ugh!

So, how would you enter a search for a phrase with an embedded ampersand? replace the & with & a m p ;

Not sure how to explain this in the documentation... <sigh>

-larry K8UT

VE9AA - Mike

Tom & Dev Team

What I noticed when I searched for "So2r" or "so2r operation" on the new page is I don't see any obvious hits for this, but on the 'old' wiki, there are several pages dedicated to this.

I would've left a comment on the 'other' page as requested, but I don't really need another user name and password. ;-)

For example, the first hit when searching for SO2R is called "the configurer" ( I am sure buried in there is SO2R information somewhere, but it wasn't obvious)
(etc. for other hits)

Perhaps I don't fully appreciate the new format.

tnx

Mike VE9AA

danzee

Larry,
Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, that presents two problems. One is the low probability one of a reserved character that you mentioned. The other, more serious one, is that a notion of  the info you're looking for isn't good enough. You need the exact phrase. That will not be the case most often than not. I'm not smart enough to think of a fix that doesn't require a lot of labor to link topics with notional key words.  Maybe a third party search engine ($$)?

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 6:45 PM, Larry K8UT <k8ut@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike,

When >Searching for "so2r" the new site returns the titles and initial text of all of the many pages that contain that expression. If you navigate to a page the found term will be highlighted in yellow. Scrolling down it is easy to see. If it is a large page - like the Entry Window - then use your browser's ctrl+F find function to go directly to the citation.

>but I don't really need another user name and password
We could not transfer the current website's account database, but you can re-use the same ID & PW!

-larry K8UT

Larry K8UT

Dan,

Your points are valid. I'll research ways by which we can adjust this purchased third party search engine to circumvent the issue.

-larry K8UT

Larry K8UT

Skip,

We are still fine-tuning the Search routines, but getting this feature "right" is very important.

Searching for "use 2nd output" (with the quotes) in the >Advanced Search dialog reveals two citations in the Configurer's >Winkey section.

-larry (K8UT)