Topics

Radio sent invalid CAT DATA

Pete N4KW

When using N1MM+ I keep seeing a Red Dot in the lower left corner of the
main screen with the note "Radio sent invalid CAT DATA."
The note and the red dot will disappear and come back after a short
while.  I looked to see if N1MM had some kind of "ERROR" file that would
be generated
when encountering any kind of error but unable to find any mention of
such a file.  I spent a lot of time on this yesterday and felt that if I
continued the error could impact on my Cabrilo file  so removed myself
from the SS.

I use DXLab as my logging software and it has error logs for the various
apps.  The commander app that interfaces with my xcvr and CAT does not
show any errors.  I have been testing this situation and found today
that this seems to happens only when my SPE linear is being used.
Any one familiar with this Red Dot and Note.  Could it be a false positive.

73, Pete, N4KW

Joe Subich, W4TV

I have been testing this situation and found today that this seems to
happens only when my SPE linear is being used. Any one familiar with
this Red Dot and Note. Could it be a false positive.
How is your SPE amplifier connected? Is it simply connected to
*listen* to the data from the transceiver or are you using some
kind of port splitter to allow both N1MM+ and the SPE to poll
your rig at the same time?

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

Hi Joe, thanks for replying to my note.  I have a "Y" cable and would
guess that both would be polling but not sure if its at the same time,
and if so then
there could be bumping heads and N1MM cannot decipher that.  Is there a
way I can fix what is happening.  Never gave any thought to both polling
at the
same time.
73, Pete, N4KW

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

The typical configuration for a "Y" is to connect all three wires
(2, 3, 5) between the rig and computer and connect *only* data
from the rig to the "third" device (pins 2, 5 on the rig to the
amplifier).

Per the SPE manual(s), that would be connections to only pin 9
(data) and 4 (ground) as shown in figure 14.2 (pg 48) of the
1.3K-FA manual, fig 14.2 (pg 45) of the 2K-FA manual or Fig 14.2
(pg 39) of the 1K-FA manual.

What this connection does is prevent the amplifier from polling
the rig. If you intend to operate without a logging program that
polls the rig, use the rig's menu to turn on "auto information"
(rig sends data automatically whenever frequency/band changes)
so the amplifier can follow frequency changes. The exact menu
item will depend on make/model of transceiver.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

Hey Joe,  I really appreciate all the research you must have done to get
down to the connectors pins etc.  I do not quite understand everything.
put have a pretty good idea.  My cables were ordered and made before I
ordered the linear.  My xcvr is a FTDX-5000 and my cables were made by
KC5PCB.  The RS-232 connector that plugs into the SPE 1.3K-FA linear has
two small switches, switch No. 1 switch is TXD and it is off, No.2 switch is
Remote and is On.  With the documentation I received it says to turn OFF
SWitch 1 for serial port sharing. and switch 2 Off to disable remote.

I use the remote function as it allows the SPE front panel's identical
image to appear on my monitor and I can control the linear with the mouse.
As I understand it, if I reversed the switch settings to SW#1 to off
(for serial port sharing) and SW#2 to off the spe would turn on and off
by my xcvr .
Wonder if I turn off SW#1 (allowing serial port sharing) and keep SW#2
on I would still be able to use the remote feature.  Hope you understand
and that
I have not confused you.  I was told that the Default position of the
switches is SW1 OFF and SW2 ON and that is the way I presently have it.

73, Pete, N4KW
ps block diagram of the cables says sw1 should be OFF for just
listening. Does not listening mean that it does not poll?

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

Larry K8UT

Pete

The answers to two questions might help identify the source of the problem

1. When you say "only when my SPE linear is being used" do you mean when the amp is simply connected? ( a CAT collision problem) or only when the amp is transmitting? (an RFI issue)

2. How many devices/apps are talking to the radio (which radio?) simultaneously? Are you using some form of serial port sharing/splitting device?

-larry (K8UT)

[...]

merrill brown

I also have an spe and think you should call Dan at SPE and he can make you a cable that fits your needs if need be.
He probability is the guy to help you trouble shoot this issue.
8325215556
Good luck
Merrill
WK2g

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

Hi Larry,  Yes when the amp is simply connected.  I have one device, the
SPE 1.3K-FA and one app N1MM+ and my xcvr is a FTDx-5000.  When not in a
contest my logging program DXLab is in use and the app that is polling
my xcvr is Commander (part of DXLab) there are no errors shown in
Commander's error file, telling me he does not see any problems while
the SPE linear is connected.  You asked about serial port
sharing/splitting etc.  The cables that is being used has two switches
on the RS-232 connector and I believe has that capability. I plan to
contact the individual who makes these cables and see if he can shed
some light on the problem, I could have the switches in the wrong
position.  One switch controls port sharing and the other controls the
remote feature of the
linear.  Before switching the position of these switches I want to make
sure it does not due any harm.  I need to learn more about cat etc.

73, Pete, N4KW

On 11/6/2018 7:13 AM, Larry K8UT wrote:
[...]

Hi Merrill, I am using the cables that Dan makes and Bob W5UQ of Expert Linears recommended.
73, Pete, N4KW
ps I plan to contact both about the problem.

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

You have thoroughly confused me with a cable with switches in it.

The principle is that the rig can not have two devices (e.g. computer
and amplifier) connected to the "receive" data line at the same time.
I leave it to you to figure out whether your configuration meets that
requirement.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

Interesting Joe, the card that came with my cables says #1 Default ON,
#2 Default OFF.  With your switches in those position are you able to
see your SPE front panel on your monitor and control the linear with
your mouse?  I believe that if SW#2 is ON then your linear will turn on
and off with your xcvr.  It that the way yours works.
I could try your settings and see what effect it would have.  Don't
think it would hurt anything.

73, Pete, N4KW

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

I don't have an SPE. My comments are based on studying the SPE
manuals and dealing with similar "paralleled device" problems
(e.g. SteppIR, certain auto-tuners, etc.).

RS-232 can not possibly work with two "transmitters" connected to
one "receiver" and most rigs will respond with garbage if two
devices "talk" to the rig at the same time.

Finally, unless the logging program is written to ignore invalid
input (or unexpected input) - like DXLab Suite CIV Commander -
they will often complain or even lock up entirely when receiving
invalid/corrupted/unexpected responses from the radio.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

Joe, slight correction to my last email to you.  Second sentence should
read "with your switch settings are you able to remote your spe front
panel to your monitor. and do you turn on and off your spe with your
xcvr.  After going over my last email, it sounded like I was asking you
to try my switch settings which I did not mean to imply.

73, Pete, N4KW

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

Joe can you explain what SW#1 is actually doing or what is the meaning
of "On, for normal RS-232, and Off, for serial Port Sharing".  I
understand RS-232.

73, Pete, N4KW

On 2018-11-06 7:35 PM, N4KW Pete wrote:
Joe can you explain what SW#1 is actually doing
Not without a schematic to actually see what the switch does.

or what is the meaning of "On, for normal RS-232, and Off, for serial
Port Sharing".
A guess is that "on" connects the serial out line from the amplifier
to the serial in line of the transceiver (e.g. pin 9 on the SPE
to pin 3 of the transceiver) when "on" (figure 12.4, 12.5, & 12.6
in the SPE Manual) and disconnects the serial out line when OFF
(figure 14.2 in the SPE Manual). Note: the SPE Manual contradicts
itself in the labeling of Figure 12.4, 12.5, & 12.6 making it even
more difficult to know hat is really going on!

But in general, "ON" would be the setting for using the amplifier
with a rig only and "OFF" would be the "Listen Only" mode (listen
to data from rig to computer/logging program). This is only a
guess based on the operation of "listen only" devices.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

Thank you Joe, In the morning I intend to take what you have said a
sentence at a time and follow it using the manual.  But will say that
when I first read that when SW1 in the OFF position is for listening
only, then my thinking was exactly as you described, in that the spe was
not polling but just listening (or looking at) the CAT information  that
was on the line.  I have sent an email to the person who built the cable
and asked him for his thoughts as to what might be happening.  I really
appreciate the time and effort you have taken to help me solve my
issue.  I will let you know if I make any progress or if I get it  resolved.

73, Pete, N4KW

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
[...]

Hi Joe,  Well I believe it is now working properly.  I want to thank you
for taking the time to help with this problem.
Without your descriptions on how you thought it worked sure helped me
start to understand how this all worked together.
I did not know about the system not being able to have two parallel TDX
lines etc.  So here is what I did.

I turned OFF SW#1 placing the SPE in a listen mode.  Doing this I lost
the SPE in that it was not following my xcvr (band and freq).
Not knowing what to do next I decided to remove the USB cable to the PC
and that did not change a thing.  So I decided to normalize things
pluged in the USB cable and saw that now the SPE was now on the same
band as the xcvr and SW#1 was still OFF.  I sat and watched N1MM+
for about 20 minutes and no indication of invalid data.  It has been
working fine for the past 3 days.  Everything is working and both
switches on the RS-232 connector plugged into the SPE are OFF, the USB
cable is plugged into the SPE to my PC, SPE and N1MM+ both follow my
xcvr etc.  No invalid data indicated. Looks like the listen mode is just
that and I only have one TXD line in use.

Not sure why it started to work when I plugged the USB cable back in,
could have been coincidence.

Thanks again Joe,  73,m Pete, N4KW