Topics

LoTW

Dave Sublette <k4to@...>
 

Does N1MM Logger + upload to LoTW?

K4TO

Jim Funk
 

If nothing else, you can export to .adi and upload that file.  73, Jim N9JF

 

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Sublette
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:12 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

 

Does N1MM Logger + upload to LoTW?

 

K4TO

Dave Sublette <k4to@...>
 

So what you are really saying is that N1MM+ doesn't upload directly from the program to LOTW.  I suspected as much when I couldn't find anything regarding LOTW in all the options, etc.

Thanks,

Dave, K4TO

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 10:32 PM Jim Funk <jfunk@...> wrote:

If nothing else, you can export to .adi and upload that file.  73, Jim N9JF

 

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Sublette
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:12 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

 

Does N1MM Logger + upload to LoTW?

 

K4TO

Jim Funk
 

I do NOT know that.  I’m a neophyte with N1MM+.  I was just offering a solution but it’s likely you already had that information.. 73 Jim N9JF

 

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Sublette
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:36 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

 

So what you are really saying is that N1MM+ doesn't upload directly from the program to LOTW.  I suspected as much when I couldn't find anything regarding LOTW in all the options, etc.

 

Thanks,

 

Dave, K4TO

 

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 10:32 PM Jim Funk <jfunk@...> wrote:

If nothing else, you can export to .adi and upload that file.  73, Jim N9JF

 

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Sublette
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:12 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

 

Does N1MM Logger + upload to LoTW?

 

K4TO

kc9ee
 

I do it the same as Jim. I export it that way to my general logging program anyway. No matter what, there is going to be an .adi file of almost every contest.

73,

Gary KC9EE


From: Dave Sublette <k4to@...>
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 1, 2018 9:12 PM
Subject: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

Does N1MM Logger + upload to LoTW?

K4TO


Larry K8UT
 

Dave

N1MM is a great contesting program but does not pretend to be a general logger with features like: DXCC, WAS, WAZ Awards tracking; online contact submissions to LoTW, ClubLog, eQSL; ARRL QSL card send/receive tracking; ARRL tQSL signatures and key management... all that stuff that you expect to find in a good general purpose logger.

We strongly urge N1MM+ users to select one of the many excellent general purpose logging programs. Export from N1MM+ contests and import into that logger for purposes of long-term QSO tracking.

-larry (K8UT)

------ Original Message ------
From: "Dave Sublette" <k4to@...>
Sent: 2018-10-01 22:35:47
Subject: Re: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

So what you are really saying is that N1MM+ doesn't upload directly from the program to LOTW.  I suspected as much when I couldn't find anything regarding LOTW in all the options, etc.

Thanks,

Dave, K4TO

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 10:32 PM Jim Funk <jfunk@...> wrote:

If nothing else, you can export to .adi and upload that file.  73, Jim N9JF

 

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Sublette
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:12 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

 

Does N1MM Logger + upload to LoTW?

 

K4TO

Dave Sublette <k4to@...>
 

Thanks Larry.

Dave

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 6:18 AM Larry K8UT <k8ut@...> wrote:
Dave

N1MM is a great contesting program but does not pretend to be a general logger with features like: DXCC, WAS, WAZ Awards tracking; online contact submissions to LoTW, ClubLog, eQSL; ARRL QSL card send/receive tracking; ARRL tQSL signatures and key management... all that stuff that you expect to find in a good general purpose logger.

We strongly urge N1MM+ users to select one of the many excellent general purpose logging programs. Export from N1MM+ contests and import into that logger for purposes of long-term QSO tracking.

-larry (K8UT)

------ Original Message ------
From: "Dave Sublette" <k4to@...>
Sent: 2018-10-01 22:35:47
Subject: Re: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

So what you are really saying is that N1MM+ doesn't upload directly from the program to LOTW.  I suspected as much when I couldn't find anything regarding LOTW in all the options, etc.

Thanks,

Dave, K4TO

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 10:32 PM Jim Funk <jfunk@...> wrote:

If nothing else, you can export to .adi and upload that file.  73, Jim N9JF

 

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Sublette
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:12 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

 

Does N1MM Logger + upload to LoTW?

 

K4TO

Skip
 

Let's see if I can actually answer your actual question.  If you mean upload directly out of the program ... no.  N1MM+ is a contest logger.  In a pinch, you can use it for general logging by selecting "DX" for log type.  It will export Cabrillo-format files for contest logs.  It will also export logs in ADIF format.

Uploading logs to LoTW involves running the TQSL program, selecting your certificate and a station location.  TQSL will then add the station location information [grid, state, county, etc] to your Cabrillo or ADIF file, "sign" it with your certificate, and upload it to LoTW.  A logging program could execute TQSL for you, but you would still need to provide your certificate and station location information.  Hope this helps

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 10/1/2018 7:35 PM, Dave Sublette wrote:
So what you are really saying is that N1MM+ doesn't upload directly from the program to LOTW.  I suspected as much when I couldn't find anything regarding LOTW in all the options, etc.

Thanks,

Dave, K4TO

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 10:32 PM Jim Funk <jfunk@...> wrote:

If nothing else, you can export to .adi and upload that file.  73, Jim N9JF

 

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Sublette
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:12 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

 

Does N1MM Logger + upload to LoTW?

 

K4TO



Dave Sublette <k4to@...>
 

Thanks to all who offered advice. The N1MM+ software is remarkable and I am using it as a general logging program.  I also use the rotator section to turn rotators on two towers.  I love it.  As Skip pointed out, N1MM+ won't directly upload to LoTW.  That was my intended question.  Having determined that, I went ahead and did the whole TQSL thing (for the third time), exported my entries from N1MM+ to an ADIF file, and uploaded it earlier today.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

this time I used my Mac computer and everything went smoothly.  My previous experience was with a PC.  It didn't help that I have lost two computers over the past few years and each time, the TQSL thing had to be redone.  

I am running Windows 7/64 using parallels on a Mac Mini computer. The Mac runs Windows better than any of my PCs ever did. It is more stabile.  I choose to stay with Win7 because Win10 is just too difficult to control.  Microsoft seems to think they know what I want in a computer better than I do.  And they don't.

So I run ham radio software on the Windows side and everything else, web surfing, email, etc... on the Mac side -- simultaneously.  I've done this for years now and it works.

I've used all of the big name logging programs -- LOGic , LogWindows and HRD for years also, but left them when they started charging a yearly fee to use or were bought and abandoned. They were all too complex anyway.

While I am in my "old timer" mode, I will say that while computers are marvelous, I have noted that my operating time reduced to less than half what it was before I started using computers to "make things easier".  I find far too much time is wasted maintaining the software and chasing O/S and hardware problems.  It takes away from operating time.  Unfortunately, we are now a society that is dependent on them.

Enough griping -- thanks again to all.

73,

Dave, K4TO



On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 2:09 PM Skip <k6dgw@...> wrote:
Let's see if I can actually answer your actual question.  If you mean upload directly out of the program ... no.  N1MM+ is a contest logger.  In a pinch, you can use it for general logging by selecting "DX" for log type.  It will export Cabrillo-format files for contest logs.  It will also export logs in ADIF format.

Uploading logs to LoTW involves running the TQSL program, selecting your certificate and a station location.  TQSL will then add the station location information [grid, state, county, etc] to your Cabrillo or ADIF file, "sign" it with your certificate, and upload it to LoTW.  A logging program could execute TQSL for you, but you would still need to provide your certificate and station location information.  Hope this helps

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 10/1/2018 7:35 PM, Dave Sublette wrote:
So what you are really saying is that N1MM+ doesn't upload directly from the program to LOTW.  I suspected as much when I couldn't find anything regarding LOTW in all the options, etc.

Thanks,

Dave, K4TO

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 10:32 PM Jim Funk <jfunk@...> wrote:

If nothing else, you can export to .adi and upload that file.  73, Jim N9JF

 

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Sublette
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2018 9:12 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

 

Does N1MM Logger + upload to LoTW?

 

K4TO



Skip
 

Dave:  The <callsign>.tq6 file is your certificate.  Save it to a USB stick or networked computer and you don't have to redo the TQSL certificate shuffle with LoTW.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 10/2/2018 1:33 PM, Dave Sublette wrote:
this time I used my Mac computer and everything went smoothly.  My previous experience was with a PC.  It didn't help that I have lost two computers over the past few years and each time, the TQSL thing had to be redone.  



ve3ki
 

According to the tQSL help file (and consistent with my own experience), a .tq6 file will only work in the computer it was created on. It cannot be moved to another computer. To move a certificate to a different computer, you need to save it to a "certificate container" (.p12) file on the first computer, or else save all of your certificates, preferences, etc. en masse to a backup (.tbk) file. You can then transfer the .p12 or .tbk file to the second computer and load your certificate(s) from it into tQSL on that computer.

73,
Rich VE3KI


On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 04:58 PM, Skip wrote:
Dave:  The <callsign>.tq6 file is your certificate.  Save it to a USB stick or networked computer and you don't have to redo the TQSL certificate shuffle with LoTW.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 10/2/2018 1:33 PM, Dave Sublette wrote:
this time I used my Mac computer and everything went smoothly.  My previous experience was with a PC.  It didn't help that I have lost two computers over the past few years and each time, the TQSL thing had to be redone.  
 

Barry Bettman
 

Just learned from a ham friend on the last contest this past weekend that qrz.com has a general logging feature, you can export from N1MM+ and import to QRZ, then qrz.com have a tight interface to LOTW you can use.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:47 PM kc9ee via Groups.Io <kc9ee=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I do it the same as Jim. I export it that way to my general logging program anyway. No matter what, there is going to be an .adi file of almost every contest.

73,

Gary KC9EE


From: Dave Sublette <k4to@...>
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 1, 2018 9:12 PM
Subject: [N1MMLoggerPlus] LoTW

Does N1MM Logger + upload to LoTW?

K4TO


Skip
 

I've only done it once, I think I used the .tbk method, and I think it brought over all the station locations too.  I had a HD failure once, and managed to recover my certificate using the .tq6 file.  Since LoTW is a "Once In, Never Out" DB, I wonder how long it will continue to be viable?

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 10/2/2018 2:38 PM, ve3ki wrote:
According to the tQSL help file (and consistent with my own experience), a .tq6 file will only work in the computer it was created on. It cannot be moved to another computer. To move a certificate to a different computer, you need to save it to a "certificate container" (.p12) file on the first computer, or else save all of your certificates, preferences, etc. en masse to a backup (.tbk) file. You can then transfer the .p12 or .tbk file to the second computer and load your certificate(s) from it into tQSL on that computer.

73,
Rich VE3KI


On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 04:58 PM, Skip wrote:
Dave:  The <callsign>.tq6 file is your certificate.  Save it to a USB stick or networked computer and you don't have to redo the TQSL certificate shuffle with LoTW.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 10/2/2018 1:33 PM, Dave Sublette wrote:
this time I used my Mac computer and everything went smoothly.  My previous experience was with a PC.  It didn't help that I have lost two computers over the past few years and each time, the TQSL thing had to be redone.  
 

Jim Cooper
 

On 2 Oct 2018 at 15:05, Barry Bettman wrote:

Just learned from a ham friend on the last
contest this past weekend that qrz.com has a
general logging feature, you can export from
N1MM+ and import to QRZ, then qrz.com have a
tight interface to LOTW you can use.
that's exactly what I do, and it works out nicely.