Topics

WKUSB Speed Pot Control dysfunctional

Art Davis

My new WKUSB winkeyer works great except that it wont change the cw speed in N1MM+. The keyer checks out fine in the WK3demmo app.
When starting up N1MM, the pot controls the speed as expected, but as soon as the first cw transmission is made, it no longer has any effect.
Steve at K1EL feels it is an N1MM+ problem, not the keyer.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Art N4UC

Tom Wagner (N1MM)

On 8/31/2018 9:44 PM, adavis1972@... wrote:
My new WKUSB winkeyer works great except that it wont change the cw speed in N1MM+. The keyer checks out fine in the WK3demmo app.
When starting up N1MM, the pot controls the speed as expected, but as soon as the first cw transmission is made, it no longer has any effect.
Steve at K1EL feels it is an N1MM+ problem, not the keyer.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Art N4UC

Art Davis

Thanks to Tom for the excerpt from the mm manual. Despite going thru all the config settings related to the winkey the problem still exists. Maybe a reinstall of MM is in order.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018, 8:56 PM Tom Wagner (N1MM) <n1mmtomwagner@...> wrote:
http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Configurer&highlight=winkey#Configurer_REAL_GT_Winkey_Tab

On 8/31/2018 9:44 PM, adavis1972@... wrote:
> My new WKUSB winkeyer works great except that it wont change the cw
> speed in N1MM+. The keyer checks out fine in the WK3demmo app.
> When starting up N1MM, the pot controls the speed as expected, but as
> soon as the first cw transmission is made, it no longer has any effect.
> Steve at K1EL feels it is an N1MM+ problem, not the keyer.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks, Art N4UC

Steve London

Reinstalling N1MM+ will have no affect.

The one setting you need to change is in the Configurer, Winkey Tab, Winkey Speed Pot Control.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 8/31/2018 9:44 PM, adavis1972@... <mailto:adavis1972@...> wrote:
> My new WKUSB winkeyer works great except that it wont change the cw
> speed in N1MM+. The keyer checks out fine in the WK3demmo app.
> When starting up N1MM, the pot controls the speed as expected, but as
> soon as the first cw transmission is made, it no longer has any effect.
> Steve at K1EL feels it is an N1MM+ problem, not the keyer.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks, Art N4UC

Jim W7RY

Did you uncheck the “ignore winkey speed pot” circle in the winkey tab in the configuration area?

The winkey interface in N1MM has been solid for quite a number of releases. And there is a CW contest going on as we speak with lots of N1MM and Winkey users.

73

Jim W7RY

Thanks to Tom for the excerpt from the mm manual. Despite going thru all the config settings related to the winkey the problem still exists. Maybe a reinstall of MM is in order.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018, 8:56 PM Tom Wagner (N1MM) <n1mmtomwagner@...> wrote:

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Configurer&highlight=winkey#Configurer_REAL_GT_Winkey_Tab

On 8/31/2018 9:44 PM, adavis1972@... wrote:
> My new WKUSB winkeyer works great except that it wont change the cw
> speed in N1MM+. The keyer checks out fine in the WK3demmo app.
> When starting up N1MM, the pot controls the speed as expected, but as
> soon as the first cw transmission is made, it no longer has any effect.
> Steve at K1EL feels it is an N1MM+ problem, not the keyer.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks, Art N4UC

Jim W7RY

Can you send winkey CW from N1MM?

Can you adjust the speed with the mouse or page up or page down?

73

Jim W7RY

Thanks to Tom for the excerpt from the mm manual. Despite going thru all the config settings related to the winkey the problem still exists. Maybe a reinstall of MM is in order.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018, 8:56 PM Tom Wagner (N1MM) <n1mmtomwagner@...> wrote:

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Configurer&highlight=winkey#Configurer_REAL_GT_Winkey_Tab

On 8/31/2018 9:44 PM, adavis1972@... wrote:
> My new WKUSB winkeyer works great except that it wont change the cw
> speed in N1MM+. The keyer checks out fine in the WK3demmo app.
> When starting up N1MM, the pot controls the speed as expected, but as
> soon as the first cw transmission is made, it no longer has any effect.
> Steve at K1EL feels it is an N1MM+ problem, not the keyer.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks, Art N4UC

Art Davis

Yep. I have something strange going on here. I gave up on trying to get the wkusb to work. Uninstalled everything cause I can't even get n1mm to work with the K3. Everything works until I change bands. Then it locks up when I hit a function key to send cw. Says that com port doesn't exist on this computer. It's worn me out today!
All this started when I installed the wkusb stuff.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 5:34 PM Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@...> wrote:

Did you uncheck the “ignore winkey speed pot” circle in the winkey tab in the configuration area?

The winkey interface in N1MM has been solid for quite a number of releases. And there is a CW contest going on as we speak with lots of N1MM and Winkey users.

73

Jim W7RY

Thanks to Tom for the excerpt from the mm manual. Despite going thru all the config settings related to the winkey the problem still exists. Maybe a reinstall of MM is in order.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018, 8:56 PM Tom Wagner (N1MM) <n1mmtomwagner@...> wrote:

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Configurer&highlight=winkey#Configurer_REAL_GT_Winkey_Tab

On 8/31/2018 9:44 PM, adavis1972@... wrote:
> My new WKUSB winkeyer works great except that it wont change the cw
> speed in N1MM+. The keyer checks out fine in the WK3demmo app.
> When starting up N1MM, the pot controls the speed as expected, but as
> soon as the first cw transmission is made, it no longer has any effect.
> Steve at K1EL feels it is an N1MM+ problem, not the keyer.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks, Art N4UC

Art Davis

Yes to both questions. Just can't adjust speed with wkusb speed control while in n1mm. Standalone works fine

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018, 5:34 PM Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@...> wrote:

Can you send winkey CW from N1MM?

Can you adjust the speed with the mouse or page up or page down?

73

Jim W7RY

Thanks to Tom for the excerpt from the mm manual. Despite going thru all the config settings related to the winkey the problem still exists. Maybe a reinstall of MM is in order.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018, 8:56 PM Tom Wagner (N1MM) <n1mmtomwagner@...> wrote:

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Configurer&highlight=winkey#Configurer_REAL_GT_Winkey_Tab

On 8/31/2018 9:44 PM, adavis1972@... wrote:
> My new WKUSB winkeyer works great except that it wont change the cw
> speed in N1MM+. The keyer checks out fine in the WK3demmo app.
> When starting up N1MM, the pot controls the speed as expected, but as
> soon as the first cw transmission is made, it no longer has any effect.
> Steve at K1EL feels it is an N1MM+ problem, not the keyer.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks, Art N4UC

Charles & Sandra Cohen

FWIW (I'm no expert, here):

The WKUSB software uses a "virtual COM port", to communicate between the computer and the keyer.  It shows up as "COMnn:" in the Windows Device Manager, and the WinKeyer "test" software lets you see what it is.

If that COM: port has the same number as the COM: port that N1MM is using to communicate frequency/ band/ mode information with the rig, _that_ might cause the problem that you're seeing.

. . . So check the COM: ports for conflicts.

You have my sympathy -- the contest starts, the rig-to-computer interface stops working.  Happens every time . . . .<G>

.      Charles / VA7CPC

--
.     charles / VA7CPC

Art Davis

Thanks Charles. Yes I believe that there is a conflict somewhere but the K3 is on com6 and the wkusb is on com7. Thanks for the thought though! 73

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018, 3:01 PM Charles & Sandra Cohen via Groups.Io <cpcohen1945=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
FWIW (I'm no expert, here):

The WKUSB software uses a "virtual COM port", to communicate between the computer and the keyer.  It shows up as "COMnn:" in the Windows Device Manager, and the WinKeyer "test" software lets you see what it is.

If that COM: port has the same number as the COM: port that N1MM is using to communicate frequency/ band/ mode information with the rig, _that_ might cause the problem that you're seeing.

. . . So check the COM: ports for conflicts.

You have my sympathy -- the contest starts, the rig-to-computer interface stops working.  Happens every time . . . .<G>

.      Charles / VA7CPC

--
.     charles / VA7CPC

Art Davis

OK, making a some progress but not there yet. After reinstalling mm on a different computer completely re-reading the manuals for everything, , the situation is that I can either have the speed control pot function properly, or have the N1MM/WKUSB actually key the radio (K3)!  I consider this to be progress because it confirms that the hardware is all working, I just can't quite get everything configured exactly right. It seems to come down to whether or not I have the CW/other box(es) checked on one or both com port lines..
Q1: With a winkey installed, should the CW/Other boxes be checked on both or just the winkey port?
Q2: There is no need for a cable running from the winkeyer to the radio for keying the XMTR. That's done thru the serial port cable, right?
Can someone confirm the proper DTR and RTS settings in the winkey config page for using a WKUSB with a Elecraft K3?

Thanks, Art N4UC

Mark Bailey

Hi Art:

Just the Winkey port. It sounds like you are keying the transmitter using DTR or RTS on the serial port.

You definitely need a cable for CW keying from the Winkey to the radio - you may wish to add a cable for PTT as well.

73,

Mark, KD4D

On September 3, 2018 4:00:50 PM EDT, Art Davis <adavis1972@...> wrote:
[...]

Whether the Winkeyer speed control works or not depends on two things: (1) you must be using the Winkeyer for CW, which means the CW/Other check box must be checked for the serial port that the Winkeyer is using (and not for any other port configured for CW keying), the WinKey check box must be checked in the port setup for that port, and there must be a cable between the Winkeyer's CW keying output and the rig's CW key jack; and (2) the "Ignore Winkey Speed Pot" option in the Configurer under the Winkey tab must not be checked.

The only time you would check the CW/Other check box on the radio control port would be if you were using direct serial port keying on one of the control lines (usually DTR) of the radio control serial port; you said you are trying to use a WKUSB for CW, so that should not be the case. If you are using a Winkeyer to send CW, you do not check CW/Other on the radio control serial port, and you do not set DTR (or RTS) on the radio control port to key CW. Do not try to configure two different serial ports for CW simultaneously with the same radio. Decide which one you are using and then configure it and only it to send CW,

To use the Winkeyer for CW keying, you must have a cable connected between the Winkeyer's keying output and the rig's (any rig's) CW key jack. That's how the Winkeyer works - the computer sends ASCII text (and commands) to the Winkeyer over its serial port, and the Winkeyer converts the ASCII to Morse code and uses its CW Key output to convey the CW keying to the rig.

You may have been confused by the fact that the K3/K3S can accept direct serial port keying on its own radio control port (with the correct setting of CONFIG:PTT-KEY in the K3) - but this is not using the Winkeyer, it is configuring the program to toggle a line on the radio control serial port directly for on-off CW keying, which does not involve a Winkeyer. If you have been checking the CW/Other check box on the radio control port and setting its DTR to key CW, you were most likely using the radio control port and not the Winkeyer to key CW, in which case it would be no surprise that the Winkeyer's speed pot would not do anything.

The program automatically selects the correct DTR and RTS settings on a serial port that has the WinKey check box checked in the port settings - you do not need to change them - but for reference, they are DTR Always On and RTS Always Off. Do not confuse these with DTR and RTS on the radio control port. If you are using the WInkeyer for CW and PTT keying, the normal setting with a K3/K3S would be to set DTR and RTS to Always Off on the radio control port.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 04:00 PM, Art Davis wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mark. So it's the keyer that is actually keying the radio and not the PC/n1mm like when there is no winkey, correct?

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 5:49 PM Mark Bailey <kd4d@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much for the thoughtful and thorough response. That is much clearer than the manuals, simple enough for this retired electrical engineer to understand! And you were correct, I was confused!

Tnx, 73 Art N4UC

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 6:07 PM ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes. You can, if course, have N1MM+ key the radio over the serial port (using DTR or CTS), but if you do it that way you don't need the Winkey.

73,

Mark

On September 3, 2018 7:07:52 PM EDT, Art Davis <adavis1972@...> wrote:
[...]

My goal in adding the winkey was to be able to control both the speed of the cw generated by N1MM and the manual paddles with one control, preferably a pot. This would allow me to reduce my speed on the fly during a contest to answer the slower ops. The only way I know to do it without winkey is the up/dn keys on the keyboard or the arrows on the contact dialog box.  Both are too clunky.