Topics

Use of USB ports

Dennis W1UE

I will be part of a small DXpedition to HQ9X for the WPX CW contest.  Since the laptop I'm bringing has only two working USB ports and I do have a powered USB port extender, what's the best way to set up the ports?

I have to connect:
USB radio cable (for an IC7610- audio codec also used)
USB cable for Winkey
USB port for wireless mouse

Since I only have two working USB ports, the USB port extender will require the use of one of the USB ports.  Obtaining a new laptop is not an option.

What should be plugged directly into the radio, and what should be plugged into the USB hub?  Does it make a difference?

Dennis W1UE

John Bednar

Dennis,

I would connect the radio USB cable directly to the computer. This will eliminate the delay in the most demanding data path.

Place the mouse and WinKey on the USB hub. Make sure you test everything well before you leave.

Make sure you disable the Windows USB port power down.

John, K3CT

I will be part of a small DXpedition to HQ9X for the WPX CW contest.  Since the laptop I'm bringing has only two working USB ports and I do have a powered USB port extender, what's the best way to set up the ports?

I have to connect:
USB radio cable (for an IC7610- audio codec also used)
USB cable for Winkey
USB port for wireless mouse

Since I only have two working USB ports, the USB port extender will require the use of one of the USB ports.  Obtaining a new laptop is not an option.

What should be plugged directly into the radio, and what should be plugged into the USB hub?  Does it make a difference?

Dennis W1UE

Tom Wagner (N1MM)

I would start with the configuration that John recommends.  Additionally, I would bring 2-3 extenders in case they are susceptible to RFI.  I'd focus on those with very short connector cables. Also, bring 2.4" #43 or #31 ferrite cores to help with RFI supression.

Good luck!

Tom - N1MM

On 5/13/2018 10:06 AM, John Bednar wrote:

[...]

GIWagner@k5kg.com

Dennis, I always use a full size keyboard when I’m operating with a laptop. Its much easier to run a fast pileup with the full size kbd. (I use a Logitech wireless kbd/mouse combo.)

73, George K5KG

On May 13, 2018, at 09:17, Tom Wagner (N1MM) <n1mmtomwagner@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis, K2SX

Dennis,

I had a fair amount of interference problems using n1mm+ and my normal setup with a Winkeyer.  K1ERL advised me to run Winkeyer direct to the PC rather than through a USB hub.  I did as he suggested and the problem is mostly corrected.  I have been using the USB hub for connecting the wireless mouse and keyboard with not much problem.  Sometimes a mistuned xcvr will cause some problems but usually nil if tuned correctly.

GL & 73,

Dennis, K2SX