Topics

Bandmap data externally accessible?

Barry N1EU

Let me say up front that I am NOT a programmer.

There's been a perennial discussion among SDR users (that contest) about implementing a bandmap overlay on top of their panadapter display.  This has once again been recently discussed on the Flex and Apache Labs forum.  Roughly speaking, the result might look something like this:  http://www.tentecwiki.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?cache=&media=orionpan3.jpg which is a shot of NaP3's overlaid bandmap using its internal telnet cluster connection.

To make such a feature truly useful, the bandmap that is overlaid should really have all the info of the Logger+ bandmap, i.e. with font indicating worked/unworked, mults etc.  I'm wondering how feasible this might be.  Is the Logger+ bandmap data currently accessible or are there talks to make it accessible going forward, etc?  Maybe I'm asking the wrong question.  But a panadapter display with an overlaid Logger+ bandmap would be killer for contesting.

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU

Mark N2QT

Yes please...

Mark. N2QT

On Nov 16, 2015, at 9:43 AM, Barry N1EU n1eu.barry@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@...> wrote:

[...]

I just wanted to add that the principal interest of mine is to use
such a system for UNassisted operation. I want to be able to "paint"
the panadapter display with stations I've already worked and then tune
for new stations via the signal traces on the panadapter display. If
I was operating assisted, I would just tune via the spots/conventional
N1MM bandmap - for cw, virtually every workable signal is already
being spotted via RBN (filtered for geographically local nodes) so
signal traces are much less useful for finding workable stations.

73, Barry N1EU

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Barry N1EU <n1eu.barry@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Guy N7UN

Barry N1EU

CW Skimmer is not allowed for unassisted contesting.  I'm talking about tuning the band with a panadapter-centric SDR type radio as an unassisted contest participant.  Having the bandmap overlay the panadapter would be a game changer in terms of seeking stations to work.  Folks need to understand that a bandmap is a critical tool for unassisted contesting and not just a visual display of cluster spots for assisted contesters.

73, Barry N1EU

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:10 PM, n7un.guy@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@...> wrote:

Barry,

Take a look at CWSkimmer at http://www.dxatlas.com/cwskimmer/

Manual at:

Guy/n7un

Steve London

Technically, what you want can be done by sending UDP messages with bandmap information to another program running on the same or different computer. On a crowded bandmap, there could be a performance hit for N1MM+. Don't forget, not only would we have to indicate that there is a new call on the bandmap, but also have to indicate when a call is removed from the bandmap. Before considering implementing this, I would like to see a commitment from panadapter vendors to actually implement the N1MM+ bandmap information to give users a display that is more useful than just marking the callsigns with the blips - such as the color-coding N1MM+ provides in the bandmap and available window to indicate the dupe/multiplier status of the call.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 11/16/2015 10:28 AM, Barry N1EU n1eu.barry@gmail.com [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
CW Skimmer is not allowed for unassisted contesting. I'm talking about
tuning the band with a panadapter-centric SDR type radio as an
unassisted contest participant. Having the bandmap overlay the
panadapter would be a game changer in terms of seeking stations to
work. Folks need to understand that a bandmap is a critical tool for
unassisted contesting and not just a visual display of cluster spots for
assisted contesters.

73, Barry N1EU

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:10 PM, n7un.guy@gmail.com
<mailto:n7un.guy@gmail.com> [N1MMLoggerplus]
<N1MMLoggerplus@yahoogroups.com <mailto:N1MMLoggerplus@yahoogroups.com>>
wrote:

__

Barry,

Take a look at CWSkimmer at http://www.dxatlas.com/cwskimmer/

Manual at:
http://www.dxatlas.com/cwskimmer/files/skimmerintro.pdf

Guy/n7un

Barry N1EU

Thanks Steve!  I assume then that Logger and the SDR would each maintain their own spot database and paint their bandmap from their respective database.  Would it ever make sense for the external software to have read access to the Logger database instead of maintaining its own database?

73, Barry N1EU

On 11/16/2015 10:28 AM, Barry N1EU n1eu.barry@... [N1MMLoggerplus]
wrote:
> CW Skimmer is not allowed for unassisted contesting. I'm talking about
> tuning the band with a panadapter-centric SDR type radio as an
> unassisted contest participant. Having the bandmap overlay the
> panadapter would be a game changer in terms of seeking stations to
> work. Folks need to understand that a bandmap is a critical tool for
> unassisted contesting and not just a visual display of cluster spots for
> assisted contesters.
>
> 73, Barry N1EU
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:10 PM, n7un.guy@...
> n7un.guy@...> [N1MMLoggerplus]
> <N1MMLoggerplus@... N1MMLoggerplus@...>>
> wrote:
>
> __
>
> Barry,
>

> Take a look at CWSkimmer at http://www.dxatlas.com/cwskimmer/
>
> Manual at:
> http://www.dxatlas.com/cwskimmer/files/skimmerintro.pdf
>
> Guy/n7un

Fred - NA2U

This could also be beneficial in assisted class.

73,

Fred/NA2U

On Nov 16, 2015, at 8:44 AM, Barry N1EU n1eu.barry@gmail.com [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: Barry N1EU <n1eu.barry@gmail.com>
------------------------------------

N1MM+ FAQ: http://n1mmplus.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Frequently+Asked+Questions&;structure=N1MM+Logger+Documentation

Yahoo Groups Links

Citi Simplicity® Card
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3165/5649fa3f2a47a7a3d5f25ma01vuc

Terry Glagowski / W1TR / AFA1DI

I did this for N1MM Classic when the DB was MS Access…

I haven’t updated the software that does this to use the SQLite DB yet.

You need SQLite Expert Personal 3 to have a look at the N1MM+ Database

The software would convert N1MM log format to HRD format, but I use a custom logging software instead of HRD but use the same log format.

73, Terry / W1TR  :  )