Topics

Winkey Sidetone

Bob W0GXA

I use and have used a WinkeyUSB to key my FT-5k for a couple years now without issue.

I upgraded my computer and did a fresh install of N1MM+.  Now, whenever I hand key and N1MM+ is running, I hear the keyer sidetone that is generated inside the keyer.  I can't for the life of me find what setting I've messed up so that the keyer is silent.

Thanks Bob W0GXA

drew.vonadasmith@...

N1MM Config Ports..etc. Winkey Tab.  Wnkey 2 frame, uncheck Sidetone box.

73,
Drew K3PA

Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...>

Drew, what on earth is that supposed to tell us?  Without context, it's useless.  If you won't include the previous e-mails in the thread, why should we try to help you?
73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at
, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 10/3/2015 8:46 PM, drew.vonadasmith@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:

N1MM Config Ports..etc. Winkey Tab.  Wnkey 2 frame, uncheck Sidetone box.

73,
Drew K3PA

Bob W0GXA

Unchecking Sideto box doesn't shut off the WinkeyUSB sidetone.  It's still there.  Any other ideas?  Or conversely, what file from my old computer can I write over on the new one to pull in all settings?

Thanks, Bob

17433Winkey Sidetone

  • boblee_wb0ubl
    Today at 6:50 PM
    I use and have used a WinkeyUSB to key my FT-5k for a couple years now without issue.

    I upgraded my computer and did a fresh install of N1MM+.  Now, whenever I hand key and N1MM+ is running, I hear the keyer sidetone that is generated inside the keyer.  I can't for the life of me find what setting I've messed up so that the keyer is silent.

    Thanks Bob W0GXA

ve3ki@...

If the keyer is working, you are not getting any sidetone from computer-sent CW, but you are getting sidetone from the paddles, then in the Configurer under the Winkey tab, in the Winkey 2 pane in the middle of the window make sure that "Paddle only sidetone" is not checked.

---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., <rclee@...> wrote :

Unchecking Sideto box doesn't shut off the WinkeyUSB sidetone.  It's still there.  Any other ideas?  Or conversely, what file from my old computer can I write over on the new one to pull in all settings?

Thanks, Bob

17433Winkey Sidetone

  • boblee_wb0ubl
    Today at 6:50 PM
    I use and have used a WinkeyUSB to key my FT-5k for a couple years now without issue.

    I upgraded my computer and did a fresh install of N1MM+.  Now, whenever I hand key and N1MM+ is running, I hear the keyer sidetone that is generated inside the keyer.  I can't for the life of me find what setting I've messed up so that the keyer is silent.

    Thanks Bob W0GXA

Chris Plumblee

There is also a "Paddle Only Sidetone" checkbox on the same tab, if memory serves.

You might also try running the K1EL WinKey utility to configure the WinKey USB if you can't get the sidetone to shut off.

Chris WF3C

--
Chris Plumblee
407.494.5155

Bob W0GXA

Unchecking Paddles Only worked.  Apparently it's more than paddles only.  It turns the ST on.  Thanks everyone.

Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...>

I apologize for my somewhat churlish response to Drew.  It's just that when you're one of 9 guys trying to help thousands, and you've repeatedly pleaded on the reflector for people to include context with their e-mails, and even provided repeated instructions on where to find the necessary option on Yahoo's web interface, it gets old.

 I suspect this problem reflects a couple of things - the influence of texting, where the software provides the thread, and the use of phones to answer e-mail on the web interface.  I wish Yahoo would just include previous e-mails in the thread by default, and let people turn it off if they must.

On 10/3/2015 9:03 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:

Drew, what on earth is that supposed to tell us?  Without context, it's useless.  If you won't include the previous e-mails in the thread, why should we try to help you?
73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at
, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 10/3/2015 8:46 PM, drew.vonadasmith@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
N1MM Config Ports..etc. Winkey Tab.  Wnkey 2 frame, uncheck Sidetone box.

73,
Drew K3PA

VE9AA - Mike

HI Pete,

Always great help from the N1MM gang and many others here as well.

I will just say, that for the past, what, 6-12 months(?) is the only time since I have been on the Net whereby someone was asking folks to include previous emails in threads. (usually sysops are asking for messages to be trimmed!) hi

I only use the YAHOO online version (otherwise my inbox would be full and the XYL would likely delete lots of stuff she deemed unimportant) so there is never any issue following a thread.  They are all linked together by default online. (I am not suggesting you do the online thing, only that you understand doing it online there is no issue, so perhaps others like me (and maybe K3PA for all I know) do not even know what you are referring to.

From what I see, you are likely an email user of this group, so I can understand your frustration.

Keep up the great work everyone !

Mike in NB......woke up to 7*C/44.6*F  here this morning....Antenna wx has arrived !

VE9AA

---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., <n4zr@...> wrote :

I apologize for my somewhat churlish response to Drew.  It's just that when you're one of 9 guys trying to help thousands, and you've repeatedly pleaded on the reflector for people to include context with their e-mails, and even provided repeated instructions on where to find the necessary option on Yahoo's web interface, it gets old.

 I suspect this problem reflects a couple of things - the influence of texting, where the software provides the thread, and the use of phones to answer e-mail on the web interface.  I wish Yahoo would just include previous e-mails in the thread by default, and let people turn it off if they must.

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at
<http://reversebeacon.net>, now
[...]

The check box caption is "Paddle only sidetone", not "Paddle only". It means sidetone that is produced only from paddle keying and not from computer-generated keying.

Some people (notably when using SO2R) do not want to hear any sidetone created by computer-generated CW, and turn their rigs' monitor sidetone off, but when using paddles, they need sidetone from the keyer as part of the hand-ear feedback they need while using the paddle. Other people leave the rig's monitor sidetone on and do not want to hear any sidetone from the keyer, regardless of the keying source. That is why there is an option for paddle-only sidetone.

---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., <rclee@...> wrote :

Unchecking Paddles Only worked.  Apparently it's more than paddles only.  It turns the ST on.  Thanks everyone.

Art Searle <w2nra@...>

HI Mike, VE9AA,

Here's another point of view.  I often do the same job as Pete on another reflector with far less volume than this one.  I've gotten to the point where, if I can't easily find the context of the question asked, I move on.  So I ask you, do you post for a reason . . . to get your question answered?  How many readers here do you suppose know the answer but don't  because they don't have all the info needed to figure out your question?  I understand Pete's complaint.  IMO if your goal is a fix to your problem, include the other emails with pertinent content in that email.

73, Art Searle, W2NRA

On 10/4/2015 8:42, ve9aa@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:

HI Pete,

Always great help from the N1MM gang and many others here as well.

I will just say, that for the past, what, 6-12 months(?) is the only time since I have been on the Net whereby someone was asking folks to include previous emails in threads. (usually sysops are asking for messages to be trimmed!) hi

I only use the YAHOO online version (otherwise my inbox would be full and the XYL would likely delete lots of stuff she deemed unimportant) so there is never any issue following a thread.  They are all linked together by default online. (I am not suggesting you do the online thing, only that you understand doing it online there is no issue, so perhaps others like me (and maybe K3PA for all I know) do not even know what you are referring to.

From what I see, you are likely an email user of this group, so I can understand your frustration.

---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., wrote :

[...]

Huh?  I wasn't asking for help, I was answering the previous poster.  I replied to the thread, just like all the other replies...

73,

Drew K3PA

drew.vonadasmith@...

Pete,

No offense taken, I have had the thankless job of software support also.  I used to answer the phone day and night for DXLOG back in the day.

I had no idea there was a Yahoo option to include old thread on the same email.  I'm poking around on the interface, and honestly I don't see it.

I have no doubt that from your pount of view, you've said it a hundred times.  But I read a lot of different groups, and I don't recall running across it.  It is indeed unfortunate that Yahoo does not make this the default.

Perhaps you could include a link to the setting instructions in your signature, or something like that?  I am happy to comply if armed with the info...

73,
Drew K3PA

drew.vonadasmith@...

Aha!  There it is.  Apparently this must be set on a per-message basis?  I was looking for a global setting.  Anyway, awareness has been raised, thanks Pete.

Drew K3PA