Topics

Performance Degradation, Windows 10, RTTY

Bud Trench

Version 1.0.5096.0
Windows 10
MMTTY

I'm seeing occasional CPU utilization spikes while transmitting RTTY.  The CPU utilization gets to around 40%; I see the spinning cursor indicating the system is busy, and the transmitted signal goes into "dittle."  This is my first time operating a RTTY event since upgrading to Windows 10.  The problem happens about every 2 or 3 minutes and it is killing my ability to operate the SARTG WW RTTY contest

The processor is an Intel i5-2450M CPU @ 2.5 GHz.

Any recommendations?

tnx,

Bud AA3B

Dave Hachadorian

Bud,

Just a wild guess – maybe Windows 10 is not so good at bit-banging FSK?  Can you switch to AFSK?

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 7:30 PM
Subject: [N1MMLoggerplus] Performance Degradation, Windows 10, RTTY

Version 1.0.5096.0
Windows 10
MMTTY

I'm seeing occasional CPU utilization spikes while transmitting RTTY.  The CPU utilization gets to around 40%; I see the spinning cursor indicating the system is busy, and the transmitted signal goes into "dittle."  This is my first time operating a RTTY event since upgrading to Windows 10.  The problem happens about every 2 or 3 minutes and it is killing my ability to operate the SARTG WW RTTY contest

The processor is an Intel i5-2450M CPU @ 2.5 GHz.

Any recommendations?

tnx,

Bud AA3B

Steve London

Is it the overall CPU utilization that goes to 40% ? Or is it just N1MM Logger that is going to 40% ?

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 08/14/2015 08:30 PM, aa3b.bud@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
Version 1.0.5096.0
Windows 10
MMTTY

I'm seeing occasional CPU utilization spikes while transmitting RTTY.
The CPU utilization gets to around 40%; I see the spinning cursor
indicating the system is busy, and the transmitted signal goes into
"dittle." This is my first time operating a RTTY event since upgrading
to Windows 10. The problem happens about every 2 or 3 minutes and it is
killing my ability to operate the SARTG WW RTTY contest

The processor is an Intel i5-2450M CPU @ 2.5 GHz.

Any recommendations?
**//___^

tnx,

Bud AA3B

Bud Trench

Steve,

The CPU was going to around 40%, dominated by N1MM+ in 30's.

A few other notes.  I determined that if I send only from the Digital window, everything is ok.

Also, I have dropped back to version 1.0.5061.0 and I am ok.  CPU utilization remains in the teens for the most part. I therefore suspect that there is a bug in Version 1.0.5065.0.

73,

Bud AA3B

Bud Trench

Steve - more info, I am now seeing the same issue in Version V1.0.5061.0.  Sorry for the confusion.

The N1MM+ process peaks in the low 30%.

73, Bud AA3B

Steve London

I'm not familiar with Win 10. Assuming there is something like the Task Manager, and you can zoom in on the Processes, and you can still sort by CPU usage in the Processes tab, can you leave it open and quickly glance at it during the short periods that RTTY seems to hang ? The 30% CPU on N1MM+ shouldn't be an issue. It's something else running under Windows 10 that is grabbing the CPU for short periods every few minutes.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 08/14/2015 10:50 PM, aa3b.bud@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
Steve - more info, I am now seeing the same issue in Version
V1.0.5061.0. Sorry for the confusion.

The N1MM+ process peaks in the low 30%.

73, Bud AA3B

Terry Glagowski / W1TR / AFA1DI

Steve, Bud,

1.       Right click on the START button, lower left of desktop,

2.       Choose Task Manager from the list.

3.       Choose the Performance tab in Task Manager.

4.       RIGHT CLICK on the large CPU graph upper right in the Task Manager window.

5.       Select Change Graph To.

6.       Select Logical Processors.

This will show CPU usage for individual logical processors (cores, threads).

73, Terry / W1TR  :  )

I'm not familiar with Win 10. Assuming there is something like the Task
Manager, and you can zoom in on the Processes, and you can still sort by
CPU usage in the Processes tab, can you leave it open and quickly glance
at it during the short periods that RTTY seems to hang ? The 30% CPU on
N1MM+ shouldn't be an issue. It's something else running under Windows
10 that is grabbing the CPU for short periods every few minutes.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 08/14/2015 10:50 PM, aa3b.bud@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
> Steve - more info, I am now seeing the same issue in Version
> V1.0.5061.0. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> The N1MM+ process peaks in the low 30%.
>
> 73, Bud AA3B

Bud Trench

Here are some additional observations regarding the performance issue encountered here during the SARTG WW RTTY contest

Windows 10

MMTTY 1.68a

microHAM USB Device Router 8.5.6

MK2R+ 7.2

WintelnetX 4.1

N1MM+ Versions 1.0.5096.0, 1.0.5061.0, 1.05035.0Version 1.0.5096.0

The problem starts about 10 to 20 minutes after commencing operations.  I suspect some buffer is overflowing or a memory leak is occurring.  Once it starts, it is repeatable.

The problem occurs only when the cursor is in either Logging window, Check Call window or Score window.  The work around is to keep the cursor outside of these Windows.

The symptoms are that the transmission diddlea for 5 to 15 seconds after the last message character is sent; during this time the CPU hits about 40% utilization dominated by N1MM+ at 30%.  The cursor spins during this 5 to 15 second period.  I have screen shots of the performance as well as a short video.

73,

Bud AA3B

Bud Trench

One more observation:

The problem is only stimulated by messages containing AA3B.

I tried by {MYCALL} and AA3B and either approach causes the problem.  No other messages, regardless of length, create the condition.

73,

Bud AA3B

Bud Trench

Final notes on this subject.

At the recommendation of Rick, N2AMG, I went into the Digital Setup window and selected "Scrolling" in the lower left hand corner.  This resolved the issue and everything is working now.

My thanks to the incredible responsiveness from the N2IC, K7UT, N2AMG and others.

73,

Bud AA3B

Steve London

Thanks for your help, Bud !

As a result, it looks like Rick has the fix for both scrolling and non-scrolling digital windows for the next release. This should fix the mysterious hangs that digital users have encountered over the past few months.

73,
Steve, N2IC