Topics

GRITTY Released to public..

Rick Ellison <n2amg@...>

GRITTY is an RTTY decoding program based on the technology developed for the
RTTY Skimmer Server project. This is not a skimmer, it decodes a single
signal in the 3-kHz audio coming from the transceiver via a soundcard, just
like any other RTTY program.

http://dxatlas.com/Gritty/

GRITTY has been added to the RX windows in N1MM+. When you open the RX
windows setup menu there is now a section to enable GRITTY and set the path
to Gritty.
When using GRITTY all of your clicks are done in the GRITTY window and call
stack. The RX window is minimized out of the way. When using the internal RX
windows they will remain open and will still use the GRITTY window for
clicking...

73 Rick N2AMG

iw1ayd Salvo

Well Rick,
it's interesting as a single channel decoder. Even as a screen real estate grabber application inside mine already well packed monitor(s). Why to have such as 3 KHz and a single channel decoder. Also we usually don't RUN contesting more than few hundreds Hertz.
Maybe it's just a scaled down app.

I'd have not tested it thoroughly, but the first view seems pretty "static".
No other tones pair than 2125Hz.
Data files for standalone user are pretty well displaced over some different directories. May be some or those are even unobtanium for a single user like me and without a record schema (ASCII?).

The color schema strange, not speaking for the 3270 terminals peoples, but from the VT100 side.
But this last could be too subjective.
Anyway several other thing may come out from those considerations.

There is any road map connected to GRITTY? Where it's aimed?
Should we run more on it to appreciate it, also having some background files. Without those and a proper client/logger viewer it seems not that impressive.

Unfortunately there isn't a clever written log out of the box, as only MMTTY have. That's without another application that could make some client mimicking. Doing it by hands with raw putty worked since the first attempt.

I will look forward for any improvement as a single user, stand alone. At least in the hope I could have made some wrong considerations. Trilled, but it's too early to fully appreciate now. Isn't?

                         73 de iw1ayd Salvo

PS leaving it running on some EU QSO on 30m this evening seem to give some better decoded stripes than MMTTY and the two 2Tone I am already running. Just a surface look around on words not calls. It could be only the AFC parametrization and some subtle noise coming around. The 30m band near  10140-10150 KHz is awfully crowded by CRAPTOR and other machine data noise masquerading.

Joe Subich, W4TV

GRITTY could be a whole lot more user friendly ...

1) Make S/N meter optional
2) Allow resizing the spectrum/grab section to consume less vertical
space - perhaps 15 - 20% of the current minimum height around the
two tones - enough to display 500 Hz - 800 Hz instead of 3 KHz.
3) Allow the user to specify the nominal MARK - current version seems
to be fixed at MARK= 2125 (at least as a stand alone decoder)
4) provide an option to set "stream" colors based on levels in narrow
passband. Detail is totally lost if transceiver uses 400-500 Hz
IF filter typical of FSK operation.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2015-04-07 10:53 PM, 'Rick Ellison' n2amg@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
GRITTY is an RTTY decoding program based on the technology developed for the
RTTY Skimmer Server project. This is not a skimmer, it decodes a single
signal in the 3-kHz audio coming from the transceiver via a soundcard, just
like any other RTTY program.

http://dxatlas.com/Gritty/

GRITTY has been added to the RX windows in N1MM+. When you open the RX
windows setup menu there is now a section to enable GRITTY and set the path
to Gritty.
When using GRITTY all of your clicks are done in the GRITTY window and call
stack. The RX window is minimized out of the way. When using the internal RX
windows they will remain open and will still use the GRITTY window for
clicking...

73 Rick N2AMG

Jeff AC0C

Unlike 2tone (for example), it’s my understanding that GRITTY was originally a side project for DX chasing of the weak signals.  It was not built to work as a contest program add-in.  So when you see a very basic functionality with N1MM is really super.

These (and the other posts) all have valid comments.  But we need to keep some perspective.  Remember that like 2tone and N1MM, GRITTY is being provided without any purchase cost.  So some messages of thanks would probably be appreciated.   We have already lost one developer of a wonderful project (NaP3) due to a huge amount of complaining and virtually no appreciative comments.

Thanks to Alex work on this application!  It’s a great contribution – and one I’m sure will get better over time.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 2:48 PM
Subject: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: GRITTY Released to public..

[...]

Some of the things already mentioned will come with a future update. Alex wanted to get this first version out the door to make sure it works first then he has said he will add to it.

He came to  us and asked it be added to N1MM as he feels that users will notice a better decoding using the method he does. I have been using it as an RX window for the last 3 weeks and have had a times better copy over MMTTY and at others MMTTY was better. It is another tool to add to the arsenal. I’m sure Alex will read the forums but if not you can email him at ve3nea@... with your suggestions and feedback..

73 Rick N2AMG

Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 2:48 PM

[...]

Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...>

Amen, Jeff! And also, please consider that Alex has done some very interesting things with improved decoding technology.  Before you discard it, do a side-by-side comparison with the decoder you're now using - you may be surprised.
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 2:48 PM

[...]

KU7Y <ku7y.cw@...>

I would like to say a big Thank You to Alex for providing us with another RTTY tool to use.

And at the same time I'd like to once again thank the whole N1MM crew for all the time and effort they put in on this project.

Life would not be nearly as easy without them!!

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y

Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Northern California Contest Club

Silver Springs, NV

ku7y@...

Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 2:48 PM

[...]

Hi all.
I wasn't criticizing the heavy work done around GRITTY. Or, by any mean the programming efforts that make GRITTY a start point.
That's for several reasons out of my poor English, the biggest of those are: I am not able to make such a software workout, I am just a user. A user with a well bordered perspective.

Ideas and software writing often become unfriendly each other. When coming to human interface, i.e. GUI, it's quite usual that they hate each other. Software writing is too tied to whatever is seen and used development is often slow as pieces doesn't come out made of the same matters nor even of the same unit of measure.
User interfaces are much more verifiable. But takes times as base technical problems are much more resource demanding in the whole process. Even more at the start of it V at 0.9999.

I think that we have plenty of examples of well done things trough a viable and measurable process of development being here. I mean here with N1MM+ and all it's add-on.

Sometime just the fathering applications doesn't not give enough space to add-on. Thus having a DOS environment twenty years ago may make the worst development path now. Inheriting would not mean to dress the whole nation as it was.

We have time and we are certainly willingly to have more tools and more fun using day by day and contesting N1MM+ and all those greatly integrated add-on.

Let Alex have his route, but Alex here we are to work for anything new that work and integrate. Learning new is not a problem. Also, something that was a mistake before may not be the same today. The changes are a part of our hobby.

              73 de iw1ayd

Rick Ellison <n2amg@...>

One thing I failed to mention in this post is GRITTY needs to be installed outside of the Program files directory or the logger will not be able to create the config files that Gritty uses with the logger…

73 Rick n2AMG

Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 2:48 PM

[...]

John N0TA

There seems to be a "focus" issue when using the GRTTY window to pick up call sign and exchange information. When your mouse is in the GRTTY window, the ESM Functions keys don't work in the main N1MM entry window (unlike when using the DI window).

Could be me. I installed it last night, and tried to use it for the NS RTTY Sprint.
  - 73, John, N0TA

Rick Ellison <n2amg@...>

I will try to take care of this but I’m not sure if I can since it is windows that transfers focus there and it is outside on n1MM..

73 Rick n2AMG