Date   
Re: End message new N1MM+

Dave Hachadorian
 

Ah, so you are testing digital modes like RTTY on your PC speakers, and hear something at the end of transmission that sounds like “ae” on cw.  What program are you using to generate the digital signals, and what does one of your rtty macros look like?
 
Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

 

Sent: Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:23 AM
Subject: Re: [N1MMLoggerplus] End message new N1MM+
 
 

Hi
 
Not connected to the rig yet on +.
Have been testing on RTTY, PSK (31, 63, 125)
Just using my old macros that works Ok on the OLD N1MM -- but have a strange ending on +.
I have been looking at the macros to see if there are any spaces og something but they look Ok.
Just listening to the sound on pc speaker.
 
73, de LA7CL/Paul
 
 
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [N1MMLoggerplus] End message new N1MM+
 
 

We need to know more, Paul.  How are you keying your rig?  Are there USB-to-serial adapter(s) in your setup?
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.
On 2/5/2015 6:57 AM, 'LA7CL-Online' la7cl@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
I am still using the "old" N1MM - but have been taking a look at the new "plus version".
Works OK on my XP SP3 - but I get a CW signal like "ae" at the end of the transmission.
How to get rid of that ?? Any missing setup ??
 
LA7CL/Paul


Re: End message new N1MM+

LA7CL-Online <la7cl@...>
 

Hi
 
Not connected to the rig yet on +.
Have been testing on RTTY, PSK (31, 63, 125)
Just using my old macros that works Ok on the OLD N1MM -- but have a strange ending on +.
I have been looking at the macros to see if there are any spaces og something but they look Ok.
Just listening to the sound on pc speaker.
 
73, de LA7CL/Paul
 

Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [N1MMLoggerplus] End message new N1MM+

 

We need to know more, Paul.  How are you keying your rig?  Are there USB-to-serial adapter(s) in your setup?
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.
On 2/5/2015 6:57 AM, 'LA7CL-Online' la7cl@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
I am still using the "old" N1MM - but have been taking a look at the new "plus version".
Works OK on my XP SP3 - but I get a CW signal like "ae" at the end of the transmission.
How to get rid of that ?? Any missing setup ??
 
LA7CL/Paul


Re: End message new N1MM+

Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...>
 

We need to know more, Paul.  How are you keying your rig?  Are there USB-to-serial adapter(s) in your setup?
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at 
http://reversebeacon.net, 
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite 
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.
On 2/5/2015 6:57 AM, 'LA7CL-Online' la7cl@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:

I am still using the "old" N1MM - but have been taking a look at the new "plus version".
Works OK on my XP SP3 - but I get a CW signal like "ae" at the end of the transmission.
How to get rid of that ?? Any missing setup ??
 
LA7CL/Paul


End message new N1MM+

LA7CL-Online <la7cl@...>
 

I am still using the "old" N1MM - but have been taking a look at the new "plus version".
Works OK on my XP SP3 - but I get a CW signal like "ae" at the end of the transmission.
How to get rid of that ?? Any missing setup ??
 
LA7CL/Paul

Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC

Bob - KØRC
 

Walt...

As a retired computer "hack" the futile battle to resolve this problem intrigues me as well. I get more stubborn about giving up, as time moves forward and a solution is not discovered. As you mentioned, the time invested becomes absurd when compared to the "overall benefit"!

Here is one approach I have not seen mentioned. At the moment, some indications are pointing to the AMD processor. As you know, many motherboards have CPU sockets which allow you to swap the chip. And quite a few motherboards support different version/speeds of CPUs.

If one of these errant systems has a socket, an alternate CPU could be tried to see whether that changes the outcome. Even a different revision of the same CPU might change the behavior.

This is just a thought... in order to continue adding "wasted time" looking for a solution!  :-D

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN


On 2/4/2015 9:16 AM, 'Walt' k2waltk@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
 

Hi Carel,

My ego has been deflated as well, after all I'm a software engineer by
vocation.
After reading all the responses this morning I started laughing at the
insanity
of the situation, sorta like the vaccine thing. Why in the world would a
user have to employ outrageous tactics like reloading OS's, reformatting
drives, removing vital firewalls, etc. Just to run a piece of software?
OK, I'll stop b****ing. I am reminded that N1MM is free and is an absolute
labor of love for Tom. We are soooo lucky to have such a dedicated
contester and ham designing, programming and maintaining such valuable
systems. I completely understand, that for just a few users it wouldn't be
prudent to devote resources to an extremely difficult, if not impossible bug
to track down, given those limited resources.

As for the technical details here. I did try many of the techniques
outlined in previous emails on the subject, all to no avail. Pete, no doubt
I ran across the same site that you did which was trying to sell me
RegCleaner. And, Carel, Rostovich's tool set, sysinternals, I've been using
for a decade - before MS bought/acquired the suite from him. Great stuff.
BTW, one time I downloaded the suite from the MS site and it came with a
nasty virus that fried the boot record of the HD. Yes Geraldine, from the
actual MS sysinternals site, and the url looked legit. Go figure.

I did reinstall .NET 4 and zip. It seems that the AMD processor link may be
the culprit.

I've been using AMD processors exclusively since the early 2000's. They
were always one step ahead of Intel, believe it or not. The old PC is an HP
Pavilion a620n, using an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor, clock speed 2.2
GHz., running XP (SP3).

The other PC is an HP Pavilion p7-1297cb using an AMD A10-5700 APU with
Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 3.4 GHz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), running
Windows 7.

So unless one of us comes up with a solution, I'll continue using the "old"
program. Which is more than sufficient for my current needs. Again, thanks
for all the informative responses and CU y'all in the (K1N) pileups.

73 de Walt -
K2WK
Gordonsville,
Virginia

> -----Original Message-----
> From: N1MMLoggerplus@...
> [mailto:N1MMLoggerplus@...]
> Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 6:00 AM
> To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
> Subject: RE: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC
>
>
>
> Just to bring in my observations with unable to run Plus on some PC’s:
>
> - XP, SP3 (I know it is old…)
> - Fresh install (OS and Plus) on an old IBM desktop PC → no problems what
so
> ever
> - Fresh install (same OS as above, used same CD) and Plus on a old Dell
laptop
> latitude L400 (Intel chipset) → No go, installation is fine, just not
running.
>
> I think it is related to hardware/driver .dll’s not 100% compatible with
.Net. Even
> tried to strip down the OS by removing almost all drivers: no success.
After many
> hours/days digging the windows event viewer messages, using third party
tools as
> sysinternals, etc , I finally gave up ... auch there goes my ego ...
>
> 73’s Carel.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> From: N1MMLoggerplus@...
> [mailto:N1MMLoggerplus@...]
> Sent: woensdag 4 februari 2015 5:13
> To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
> Subject: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC
>
> Walt,
>
> If you're referring to my report from a while ago: no, that never got
fixed. After a
> while I reformatted the drive (wasn't much on there to keep), installed a
fresh
> copy of the operating system, did all the updates; and right after that -
without
> installing antivirus etc. - a clean install of the logger. The end result
was the same:
> no go. No explanation to be found in the event viewer; so I decided not to
bother
> the developers with it anymore. We eventually chose to use that PC for
another
> purpose, a job which it's handling just fine. And for the logger we're
using another
> PC too, which - so far - is working perfectly.
>
> Good luck getting things to work.
>
> 73,
>
> Erik - K5WW
>
> ________________________________________
> Posted by: k5ww@...
>
>
>
>


Re: 1.0.4653

AI9T
 

Steve

1.0.4653 did the trick. No longer getting the Com Port Error.


Thanks and 73


Steve AI9T



Sending scores to CQcontest.net

Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@...>
 

For those who reported trouble working with this site, I discovered that my password manager (LastPass)  did not understand that the site wanted my callsign, *not* my e-mail address.  Once I fixed that everything seems OK but I cannot figure out how to send a test score report and verify that it shows up on the site. 
-- 

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at 
http://reversebeacon.net, 
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite 
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

1.0.4653

N1MM <tfwagner@...>
 

Version 1.0.4653 (February 4, 2015)

1. Yet another attempt to remove COM port open/close change. Sorry for
being a lid. (Coded by N2IC)

Re: RTTY Engine wont go to the background when using different applications

Trevor Dunne
 

Thanks Rick that worked,
 
Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB


From: "'Rick Ellison' n2amg@... [N1MMLoggerplus]"
To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
Sent: Wednesday, 4 February 2015, 0:20
Subject: RE: [N1MMLoggerplus] RTTY Engine wont go to the background when using different applications

 
Yes Larry is correct.. Open the digital window and click Setup and then Settings and you will see the setting to place MMTY on top. Be forewarned that doing this while running in a contest will make you hunt for MMTTY as other windows will place it below them…
 
73 Rick n2AMG
 
From: N1MMLoggerplus@... [mailto:N1MMLoggerplus@...]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 7:00 PM
To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
Subject: Re: [N1MMLoggerplus] RTTY Engine wont go to the background when using different applications
 
 
I am not at a place where I can look it up but I think in MMTTY Settings there is a value about whether to stay on top. If checked the window will stay on top. Maybe there’s a similar scheme in NL+.
 
73, Larry  W6NWS
 
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 6:39 PM
Subject: [N1MMLoggerplus] RTTY Engine wont go to the background when using different applications
 
 
Hi All


For some reason the RTTY engine won't go behind other apps like firefox and excel ect, all other windows do,



Can't see any option to make it hide, any ideas,
 
Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB
 


Re: Com Port Error

AI9T
 

Steve

Here is the error "Com2 encountered an error when being opened. This may have occurred because the port does not exist or is in use by another program"

I click on the error and get the same message for Com3,5,6 then it will open.

73
Steve AI9T

Re: Com Port Error

VE2FK
 

It will do that for COM 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,
 
 

Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: [N1MMLoggerplus] Com Port Error
 
 

What does the error say, exactly ?

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 02/04/2015 10:39 AM, steve@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
> Tried new version V1.0.4650.0. Getting the Com Port Error again when
> opening additional RX digital windows. Reverted back to 1.0.4633 and it
> works fine again.
>
> 73
> Steve AI9T
>
>

Aucun virus trouvé dans ce message.
Analyse effectuée par AVG - www.avg.fr
Version: 2015.0.5646 / Base de données virale: 4281/9056 - Date: 04/02/2015

Re: Com Port Error

Steve London
 

What does the error say, exactly ?

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 02/04/2015 10:39 AM, steve@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
Tried new version V1.0.4650.0. Getting the Com Port Error again when
opening additional RX digital windows. Reverted back to 1.0.4633 and it
works fine again.

73
Steve AI9T

Re: Com Port Error

AI9T
 

Tried new version V1.0.4650.0. Getting the Com Port Error again when opening additional RX digital windows. Reverted back to 1.0.4633 and it works fine again.

73
Steve AI9T

Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC

Steve London
 

Walt,

I have gone back through your e-mails, and I still haven't seen where you have posted what is in the Windows Event Log for either your XP or Win 7 box.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 02/04/2015 08:16 AM, 'Walt' k2waltk@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:
Hi Carel,

My ego has been deflated as well, after all I'm a software engineer by
vocation.
After reading all the responses this morning I started laughing at the
insanity
of the situation, sorta like the vaccine thing. Why in the world would a
user have to employ outrageous tactics like reloading OS's, reformatting
drives, removing vital firewalls, etc. Just to run a piece of software?
OK, I'll stop b****ing. I am reminded that N1MM is free and is an absolute
labor of love for Tom. We are soooo lucky to have such a dedicated
contester and ham designing, programming and maintaining such valuable
systems. I completely understand, that for just a few users it wouldn't be
prudent to devote resources to an extremely difficult, if not impossible bug
to track down, given those limited resources.

As for the technical details here. I did try many of the techniques
outlined in previous emails on the subject, all to no avail. Pete, no doubt
I ran across the same site that you did which was trying to sell me
RegCleaner. And, Carel, Rostovich's tool set, sysinternals, I've been using
for a decade - before MS bought/acquired the suite from him. Great stuff.
BTW, one time I downloaded the suite from the MS site and it came with a
nasty virus that fried the boot record of the HD. Yes Geraldine, from the
actual MS sysinternals site, and the url looked legit. Go figure.

I did reinstall .NET 4 and zip. It seems that the AMD processor link may be
the culprit.

I've been using AMD processors exclusively since the early 2000's. They
were always one step ahead of Intel, believe it or not. The old PC is an HP
Pavilion a620n, using an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor, clock speed 2.2
GHz., running XP (SP3).

The other PC is an HP Pavilion p7-1297cb using an AMD A10-5700 APU with
Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 3.4 GHz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), running
Windows 7.

So unless one of us comes up with a solution, I'll continue using the "old"
program. Which is more than sufficient for my current needs. Again, thanks
for all the informative responses and CU y'all in the (K1N) pileups.

73 de Walt -
K2WK
Gordonsville,
Virginia

-----Original Message-----
From: N1MMLoggerplus@...
[mailto:N1MMLoggerplus@...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 6:00 AM
To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
Subject: RE: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC



Just to bring in my observations with unable to run Plus on some PC’s:

- XP, SP3 (I know it is old…)
- Fresh install (OS and Plus) on an old IBM desktop PC → no problems what
so
ever
- Fresh install (same OS as above, used same CD) and Plus on a old Dell
laptop
latitude L400 (Intel chipset) → No go, installation is fine, just not
running.

I think it is related to hardware/driver .dll’s not 100% compatible with
.Net. Even
tried to strip down the OS by removing almost all drivers: no success.
After many
hours/days digging the windows event viewer messages, using third party
tools as
sysinternals, etc , I finally gave up ... auch there goes my ego ...

73’s Carel.

------------------------------

From: N1MMLoggerplus@...
[mailto:N1MMLoggerplus@...]
Sent: woensdag 4 februari 2015 5:13
To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
Subject: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC

Walt,

If you're referring to my report from a while ago: no, that never got
fixed. After a
while I reformatted the drive (wasn't much on there to keep), installed a
fresh
copy of the operating system, did all the updates; and right after that -
without
installing antivirus etc. - a clean install of the logger. The end result
was the same:
no go. No explanation to be found in the event viewer; so I decided not to
bother
the developers with it anymore. We eventually chose to use that PC for
another
purpose, a job which it's handling just fine. And for the logger we're
using another
PC too, which - so far - is working perfectly.

Good luck getting things to work.

73,

Erik - K5WW

________________________________________
Posted by: k5ww@...



Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC

Walt <k2waltk@...>
 

Hi Carel,

My ego has been deflated as well, after all I'm a software engineer by
vocation.
After reading all the responses this morning I started laughing at the
insanity
of the situation, sorta like the vaccine thing. Why in the world would a
user have to employ outrageous tactics like reloading OS's, reformatting
drives, removing vital firewalls, etc. Just to run a piece of software?
OK, I'll stop b****ing. I am reminded that N1MM is free and is an absolute
labor of love for Tom. We are soooo lucky to have such a dedicated
contester and ham designing, programming and maintaining such valuable
systems. I completely understand, that for just a few users it wouldn't be
prudent to devote resources to an extremely difficult, if not impossible bug
to track down, given those limited resources.

As for the technical details here. I did try many of the techniques
outlined in previous emails on the subject, all to no avail. Pete, no doubt
I ran across the same site that you did which was trying to sell me
RegCleaner. And, Carel, Rostovich's tool set, sysinternals, I've been using
for a decade - before MS bought/acquired the suite from him. Great stuff.
BTW, one time I downloaded the suite from the MS site and it came with a
nasty virus that fried the boot record of the HD. Yes Geraldine, from the
actual MS sysinternals site, and the url looked legit. Go figure.

I did reinstall .NET 4 and zip. It seems that the AMD processor link may be
the culprit.

I've been using AMD processors exclusively since the early 2000's. They
were always one step ahead of Intel, believe it or not. The old PC is an HP
Pavilion a620n, using an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor, clock speed 2.2
GHz., running XP (SP3).

The other PC is an HP Pavilion p7-1297cb using an AMD A10-5700 APU with
Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 3.4 GHz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), running
Windows 7.

So unless one of us comes up with a solution, I'll continue using the "old"
program. Which is more than sufficient for my current needs. Again, thanks
for all the informative responses and CU y'all in the (K1N) pileups.

73 de Walt -
K2WK
Gordonsville,
Virginia

-----Original Message-----
From: N1MMLoggerplus@...
[mailto:N1MMLoggerplus@...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 6:00 AM
To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
Subject: RE: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC



Just to bring in my observations with unable to run Plus on some PC’s:

- XP, SP3 (I know it is old…)
- Fresh install (OS and Plus) on an old IBM desktop PC → no problems what
so
ever
- Fresh install (same OS as above, used same CD) and Plus on a old Dell
laptop
latitude L400 (Intel chipset) → No go, installation is fine, just not
running.

I think it is related to hardware/driver .dll’s not 100% compatible with
.Net. Even
tried to strip down the OS by removing almost all drivers: no success.
After many
hours/days digging the windows event viewer messages, using third party
tools as
sysinternals, etc , I finally gave up ... auch there goes my ego ...

73’s Carel.

------------------------------

From: N1MMLoggerplus@...
[mailto:N1MMLoggerplus@...]
Sent: woensdag 4 februari 2015 5:13
To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
Subject: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC

Walt,

If you're referring to my report from a while ago: no, that never got
fixed. After a
while I reformatted the drive (wasn't much on there to keep), installed a
fresh
copy of the operating system, did all the updates; and right after that -
without
installing antivirus etc. - a clean install of the logger. The end result
was the same:
no go. No explanation to be found in the event viewer; so I decided not to
bother
the developers with it anymore. We eventually chose to use that PC for
another
purpose, a job which it's handling just fine. And for the logger we're
using another
PC too, which - so far - is working perfectly.

Good luck getting things to work.

73,

Erik - K5WW

________________________________________
Posted by: k5ww@...



1.0.4650

N1MM <tfwagner@...>
 

Version 1.0.4650 (February 4, 2015)

1. Removed COM port Open/Close change. (Coded by N2IC)

Re: .4646 - launching FLDIGI as CW reader

Rick Ellison <n2amg@...>
 

This will be taken care of in the next build..

73 Rick N2AMG

 

From: N1MMLoggerplus@... [mailto:N1MMLoggerplus@...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 7:29 AM
To: n1mmloggerplus@...
Subject: [N1MMLoggerplus] .4646 - launching FLDIGI as CW reader

 

 

indicates COM port conflicts with my Digikeyer control over K3 via ports COM 2, 4 and 6.  Never saw this in prior n1mm+ versions. 



Dismissing the conflicts allows normal operation = FLDIGI gets audio from the microHam codec that is connected to the K3 line out. 



The FLDIGI configure menu for rig control does not show these COM ports as active.

 

Bob R - N7WY

Jan VHF Scoring Problem

Bob Turner <Bob@...>
 

I did a little operating in Jan VHF.  38Qs and 2 Grids.  My log window is showing correct contacts and the frequency I manually entered.  The score window is way wrong.  I had Qs on 3 bands.  6m, 146, and 446.  6M was SSB and 146 and 446 was FM.  The properties of each contact are correct in the log window.  The score window has an issue.  Score Window shows the following:

 

Band QSOs Pts  Grd

0    1    1    0

0    24   24   2

Total         25   25   2

Score 50

1 Mult = 12.5 Q’s

 

At one point the bands displayed in score summary were LSB and USB.  Though it’s not doing that at the moment.  Initially I had rig control on the 6m rig working.  I disabled rig control that as 146 and 446 were on another radio that does not support rig control consequently I could only log 6 meter contacts.  Once rig control was disabled, I could manually enter the frequency.  I’ve exported an ADIF and imported it into my general logging program (HRD).  The data looks fine, consequently it appears scoring is not working.  The contest I selected is ARRLVHFJAN.

 

Any idea as to what is going on with the scoring?

 

Bob

.4646 - launching FLDIGI as CW reader

n7wy
 

indicates COM port conflicts with my Digikeyer control over K3 via ports COM 2, 4 and 6.  Never saw this in prior n1mm+ versions. 

Dismissing the conflicts allows normal operation = FLDIGI gets audio from the microHam codec that is connected to the K3 line out. 

The FLDIGI configure menu for rig control does not show these COM ports as active.
 
Bob R - N7WY

Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC

Carel pc5m
 

Just to bring in my observations with unable to run Plus on some PC’s:

- XP, SP3 (I know it is old…)
- Fresh install (OS and Plus) on an old IBM desktop PC → no problems what so ever
- Fresh install (same OS as above, used same CD) and Plus on a old Dell laptop latitude L400 (Intel chipset) → No go, installation is fine, just not running.

I think it is related to hardware/driver .dll’s not 100% compatible with .Net. Even tried to strip down the OS by removing almost all drivers: no success. After many hours/days digging the windows event viewer messages, using third party tools as sysinternals, etc , I finally gave up ... auch there goes my ego ...

73’s Carel.

------------------------------

From: N1MMLoggerplus@... [mailto:N1MMLoggerplus@...]
Sent: woensdag 4 februari 2015 5:13
To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
Subject: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Unable to run Plus on one PC


Walt,

If you're referring to my report from a while ago: no, that never got fixed. After a while I reformatted the drive (wasn't much on there to keep), installed a fresh copy of the operating system, did all the updates; and right after that - without installing antivirus etc. - a clean install of the logger. The end result was the same: no go. No explanation to be found in the event viewer; so I decided not to bother the developers with it anymore. We eventually chose to use that PC for another purpose, a job which it's handling just fine. And for the logger we're using another PC too, which - so far - is working perfectly.

Good luck getting things to work.

73,

Erik - K5WW

________________________________________
Posted by: k5ww@...