locked Re: Spotting

Joe WB9SBD

true!

On 1/23/2020 8:59 AM, Gary K9GS wrote:
If you're talking about CW or Digital contests manual spotting is irrelevant.

73,

Gary K9GS

-------- Original message --------
From: Joe WB9SBD <nss@...>
Date: 1/23/20 8:41 AM (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] Spotting

Pete how would you do this using N1MM+?

For example, AR Cluster V6 uses SET DX OUTPUT OFF/ON.

I suppose maybe asking each contest sponsor what their policy would be I guess to be safe.

Joe WB9SBD

On 1/23/2020 7:11 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

All major cluster software packages have provision for stopping user receipt of spots while still staying connected.  For example, AR Cluster V6 uses SET DX OUTPUT OFF/ON.

I disagree with Al that connection = assistance, while at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if some contest adjudicators take this position. I think they are operating on the theory that it is just too hard to prove *receipt* of spots, as opposed to connection to a cluster. I suppose the same logic would apply to having a 1500-watt amp on the desk during a 100-watt contest.  How can they tell I did not turn it on?

Fact is, power cheating is much more common, IMO, and we all know how hard that is to prove.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 1/23/2020 12:00 AM, AB2ZY wrote:

If I were adjudicating a contest and had information that someone entered as unassisted was connected to a cluster and posting spots during the contest they would be DQ, especially if they finished anywhere near the top.

Al

AB2ZY