Re: FT Roundup, A Learning Experience

Bob, W3IDT

Hesitate to say 'sorry abt three copies".
This may result in three copies, too.

. Robert F. Teitel, W3IDT .
. .
. W3IDT@... .
. W3IDT@... .

On 12/8/2019 7:38 PM, Bob, W3IDT wrote:
My notes, as sent to PVRC membership:
After many hours, I still don't quite understand how to operate FT4 and FT8 in HF contest conditions.
345 QSOs in the log, but many sequential duplicates, and some false positives. Only 40m and 20m; both FT4 and FT8, running and S&P.
1. Couldn't get N1MM+ and WSJT-x to play nice together.
So used just plain WSJT-x.
2. Hence have no clue re NET QSOs, nor Countries/States/Provinces.
Will have to figure out how to move log from WSJT-x to N1MM+
before 3830 entry and log submission.
3. When running,
a. don't know when to send RRR vs. RR73;
the latter logs the contact, but the other op may not get it, and we may never finish the contact.
b. scramble things badly when two callers, and really want the 2nd.
(either because it's much stronger; or about equal and a multiplier.)
Really same coordination problem, I think, as next item.
4, When trying S&P, my eye to brain and brain to hand coordination is too slow: By the time I double-click on a CQer, I'm almost always late, usually 1 or 2 seconds.
5. Couldn't figure out how to send something akin to
"TU; CQ RU W3IDT FM19" after a run contact as a number of ops were sending. Perhaps they were using JTDX (or whatever the other FTx program is called; does it play nice with N1MM+?)
Anyway, had "fun" trying.
Bob, w3idt
. Robert F. Teitel, W3IDT   .
.                           .
. W3IDT@...            .
. W3IDT@...         .
On 12/8/2019 8:11 AM, Andrew O'Brien wrote:
Thanks   , will check.

Andy

On Dec 8, 2019, at 7:49 AM, ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:

What is the Mode Category in the contest setup window set to? If it is set to RTTY, the program will assign zero points to FTx QSOs. Change the RTTY to DIGITAL in the contest setup and then do a Tools > Rescore Current Contest.

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 06:56 AM, Andrew O'Brien wrote:

    Same learning experience here.  I'm intrigued that N1MM+ is not
    scoring the contest .  Each of my QSOs has a value of zero points
    despite being listed as a SEC or a DXC.
    Andy K3UK

    On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 6:18 AM Mike K2MK <k2mk.mike@...
    <mailto:k2mk.mike@...>> wrote:

        [Edited Message Follows]

        I think this contest has been a learning experience for many
        of us. At the start of the contest, calling CQ resulted in
        many dupes calling me. I reviewed the WSJT online guide
        examples and realized that many people probably did not
        understand that only one person sends 73. After 73 is sent the
        contact is over. I too found it strange, especially on FT4
        that the full contact was completed so quickly followed by a
        loss of the Enable TX red indication. A few hours later the
        problem seemed to resolve itself. Hardly any dupes. I can only
        assume that everybody began to understand the 73 concept.

        It's also very nice to be able to switch back and forth
        between FT4 and FT8. It almost feels like switching bands as
        you find a new batch of potential contacts.

        I'm looking forward to the January VHF contest. FT8 on 6
        meters has, in the past, resulted in many dupes and some QSOs
        that never seemed to end. It was a good idea to have different
        frequencies for contest QSOs in the FT Roundup. I hope this
        idea is utilized for 6 meters in the VHF contest. I think many
        of the dupes, and the endless back-and-forth, may have been
        the result of mixing contest and non-contest operators.

        73,
        Mike K2MK

    --     Andy