Re: How to move to new PC?

Noel W2MSA

Thanks for the advice Chuck. I’m always willing to learn how others do things.

Noel W2MSA

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM Charles Scott <cscott@...> wrote:
Noel:

Sorry for the long, slightly off-topic. I'll just throw this out here,
but it's not a solution for everybody.

A couple weeks ago I moved to a new computer in my shack. The old one
was simply not up to the task anymore. Being a user of VirtualBox (free)
on other systems I decided to try moving the entire old system into a
"virtual machine" that I could simply run on the new computer. I've done
this before with earlier laptops and have thought of moving to only
running things under a virtual machine. Once you have the virtual
machine setup, moving to the next new computer is as simple as
installing VirtualBox, copying the virtual machine over and then running
it up on the new system. After that, it's just a matter of telling
VirtualBox to pass the desired interfaces to the virtual machine.

So I found out that I could use the Acronis backup software I use to
directly create a virtual drive file from a full system backup on the
old computer and did that (there's other ways to do that though). The
type of virtual drive file it produced wasn't a type that would load
directly into VirtualBox but VirtualBox comes with a utility that would
convert it to one that would. Having done that, installed VirtualBox on
the new system and copied the virtual drive, ran up VirtualBox, and
created the new virtual machine (hardly had to touch any of the
defaults).  The darn thing booted just fine and was up in running (sans
the hardware interfaces). That all took less that 2 hours, mostly waiting.

After that I configured the virtual machine in VirtualBox to pass the
USB interfaces for all my radios and serial devices to the virtual
machine. Presto! Everything was working fine. Now all that's running on
the "Host" operating system (Currently Windows 10, but could be other
systems) is VirtualBox. A move of this to my next system will literally
take minutes with it setup this way. Since I placed the Virtual Machines
on a second drive (SSD), moving them is as simple as moving the drive to
the new computer as long as I keep the drive letter the same.

The great thing about doing it this way is that all software already
installed in the old computer comes across to the new one without having
to re-install, copy data, or even setup icons on my desktop. Looking at
it, you wouldn't know it's not the old computer, other than it's much
faster.

This does take a computer with at least a decent quad-core processor (my
new one is a hex-core), at least  8 GB of memory, and should have SSD
drives with one large enough for virtual machines. With the price of a
1TB SSD down quite a bit, it's not that expensive.

So, as I say, this isn't for everyone, but if you're regularly updating
your hardware, it could be an option.

Chuck - N8DNX

--
Noel Pagan