Re: K3 intermittently forgets to transmit even though FT8 has gone into TX mode

Gary Hembree

Yes Rick this is what I always do.  The trouble starts when I close, I mean it hit the red X, one of the WSJT-X windows and try to use another mode, CW or SSB, on that radio.  I should be able to change bands and modes on that radio with N1MM and not have a problem when I decide to return to WSJT-X on that radio.  Most of the time that results in a hung connection, which I have to resolve by shutting down N1MM and removing the orphan process.  I can send you screen shots and RTE reports if you wish.

Gary, N7IR

Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] K3 intermittently forgets to transmit even though FT8 has gone into TX mode

Hi Gary..

If WSJT is open control the frequency for within WSJT. If you change the frequency in N1MM and it is not the frequency that WSJT is expecting it will drop the TCP connection. WSJT wants full control of the radio and if it doesn’t have full control things goes out of wack really quick. I tell users that is you have WSJT or JTDX open place the WSJT window over the entry window that’s it is associated with in N1MM. That way you won’t be tempted to do anything in N1MM. If you have WSJT open in one entry window the other entry window should be allowed to work other modes as WSJT has nothing to with it. There was an issue I corrected the other day which will be  in the next release where when WSJT closed the DigitalMode variable that is used within the logger to keep track of what digital mode the logger should be in was not being cleared and set to 0 when WSJT closed. This has been fixed and should allow switching to other modes (CW,SSB) much easier.

73 Rick N2AMG

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Hembree
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:12 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] K3 intermittently forgets to transmit even though FT8 has gone into TX mode

Although I have not had the specific problem that started this thread I have been having continuing problems with WSJT-X and N1MM playing together with my SO2R K3 setup.  Many times when I switch bands or modes I have to exit N1MM and kill an orphan copy of WSJT-X with the Task Manager.  Usually this is proceeded by the failure of N1MM to communicate with the K3 that I changed bands or modes on from N1MM.  N1MM by itself works flawlessly without a WSJT-X window open.  If I just use two WSJT-X windows and only use N1MM as the logger it works also.  Mix WSJT-X and another mode and it goes in the dumper.  Maybe this is the way it’s designed by necessity.  I thought it worked before with mixed modes but maybe not.

Gary, N7IR

Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:50 AM

Hi Bill..

Are you using the latest version?? There were some recent changes made to the way the TCP connections is done and I had a couple of K3 users testing it out to make sure it corrected their issues of the radio dropping out. I have nothing but good things from them saying the radio connection is rock solid with their K3 setup. I’m hoping one of them will chime in here and tell you what their settings are so you can get thru this issue. I don’t own a K3 so I relied on what they were telling me.

73 Rick N2AMG

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of B. Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:48 AM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io

N1MM uses DXCommander in name only, so, although this suggestion may help, it can't be done.

Join N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.