N1MM Crash due to bad Audio Config

Patrick Herborn

Last night I think I finally figured out why N1MM+ would occasionally
crash - previously I had it narrowed down to "being in the Locator
box and pressing <unknown> key(s)" but last night I caught it. I think
what had previously happened was going to the locator box to correct
it (eg if someone /P is in a different locator to "normal") and then
hitting Enter to log it. Between the correction, the <unknown> key
and pressing Enter, an error box would pop up, and Enter would
acknowledge it - so whilst in full typing flow, it was not possible
to see what was in the error box, by the time it would pop up, Enter
was already being pressed.

Last night was less of a rush and I caught it. The issue was the
Insert key and the error box was warning of a bad Audio config. OK
fair enough, BUT that should not crash N1MM+ to the point that it
exits! Moreover, given that there was no file to be found associated
with the Insert key, it seems that the cart was put before the horse,
metaphorically - ie there's little point in even trying to open
an audio device if the audio file you would then play, doesn't
exist. It seems to me to be more sensible to check for that file
first.... but even the way round that it is, it looks like there
is an exception that's not being caught properly. Just to be sure
I checked other F-keys and sure enough they also cause crashes,
so it can be summarised as ANY attempt to play audio will cause
a fatal crash.

So long as some dummy audio devices are configured N1MM+ will not
crash - it just warns that the audio file does not exist and carries
on as one would expect. This is a workaround rather than a fix.

This was observed last night on the latest release, on Win7 64 bit
and it was set to normal audio (never been configured since we
don't use that feature on that station), ie not Logger+ Audio.

Best regards,

Pat. (M0MGO)

--
Patrick Herborn <pat@...>