Re: Tab / Space behaviour on VHF contests

Patrick Herborn

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 09:54:21 +0100
"Les Elliott via Groups.Io" <g4ogb=tiscali.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Pat
Hiya Les!

I have just tested B4 and the Locator fills on pressing Tab,
perhaps it is down to how you have formatted your CH file.
OK, I didn't have access to the actual laptop, but given that
TWO people now have pointed out that Tab works, I figured I
needed to have another go!

To this end I downloaded the Full Install, and the latest (16Jul)
update, installed, configured, installed the B4 UDC, copied across
the CH file, pulled it in, enabled History Lookup and tried it here.
IT WORKED!

This had me scratching my head - *WHY* did it work here, and not
on the laptop ? I didn't do anything "different" during the install,
and both are on the 16Jul release..... I started playing around and
I THINK I have found the cause :)

*AT FIRST* I thought it was to do with the Check - ie if you type
in the full Callsign then it fills the Locator when you Tab from
the Callsign, but NOT if the Callsign was completed from a partial
by the Check window, however a subsequent test showed that even
a Check completed callsign DOES work!

Further tinkering has now narrowed it down and it is repeatable,
and perhaps also "expected".... IF there is ANYTHING left in the
SntRpt field at all, then a Tab WILL NOT auto-fill the Locator,
*BUT SPACE WILL* [so long as the Locator field doesn't already
contain something].

It is interesting to compare Tab and Space behaviour : If there
is something in SntRpt then Tab will not overwrite it with 59
and place you between the 5 and 9. If you Tab on then it will
NOT fill *EMPTY* RcvRpt and Locator fields with 59 and the
locator. Space on the other hand will leave the SntRpt alone,
but it WILL auto-fill the *EMPTY* RcvRpt and Locator fields.
Any field that already has something in it is left alone.

The Tab behaviour is thus heavily dependant on the SnrRpt
field - if it is empty then it fills SntRpt, RcvRpt and
Locator, but if it is not empty then it doesn't fill ANY
of those, even if they are empty to start with, whereas
Space ALWAYS fills non-empty fields.

The quick moral of the story is - always WIPE if you change
your mind about an entry. Beyond that I don't know if it
would be sensible for Tab to fill in EMPTY SntRpt and Locator
fields (as it would if SntRpt was empty) or to leave it
the way it is ?

Many thanks to all those who have responded, especially those
who said it was working for them since that made me start
digging somewhat deeper and figure out why it wasn't working
here :) Hopefully this wasn't an RTFM fail and others can
benefit from my observations.

Les, G4OGB
Cheers,

Pat. (M0MGO)