Re: Tab / Space behaviour on VHF contests

Patrick Herborn

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 18:00:58 -0400
"John Bednar via Groups.Io" <k3ct=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Pat,
Hiya John!

I just tested using the ARRL June VHF contest. As I expected, entering a
callsign and pressing the Tab key DOES populate the exchange box from call
history and place the cursor in the RST field.
Oh, now that is very interesting! It doesn't do that on my installation -
if I tab from the Callsign box then it goes to Sent RST but doesn't fill
in the locator from the history - it only does it with space for me.

I wonder if this has something to do with the use of a UDC here ?

The code also places the cursor in the RST box at the location to update
the RST.
Yes, it does advance to the Sent RST for me also - if memory serves it is
placed after a 5 when using the tab (would need to check).

As Andy GD0AMD points out, we send real signal reports AND we are
penalised if we get them wrong - so they have to match. Real
signal reports means that the 5 is NOT a given - think we have
given out a 31 before now.... and someone even once sent out
something like a 40 which caused some controversy, since 0
suggests NO signal - when that operator probably MEANT the
signal wasn't moving the S meter at all. I digress. Correcting
a 5 is easy with the delete key when you're already past it,
but having to shift-tab (or mouse) all the way back (and then
also have to replace the default 59) is more of a pain.

I was careful to request this as an OPTION - that way it
means that it doesn't affect the normal operation for
those whose signal reports aren't important, but for those
of us penalised for getting them wrong, there is a more
fluid path available than what space bar offers right now.

Pressing tab again advances the cursor to the RST box highlighting the
correct character again.
Well, it looks like there is light at the end of this tunnel. That's
pretty much the way I would want it in Run mode, and worst case in
S&P one could tab twice past the locator to be back in the sent
signal report :) Just need to figure out how to make my copy do
that now :)

John, K3CT
Best regards,

Pat (M0MGO)