Re: ARRL RTTY RU: FT8 means no Single Op UNassisted

John Kludt

Victor,

Agreed.  But I wonder and maybe we need to take this off line, I have the impression that many of the hardcore RTTY contest crowd run two decoders at once,  So while each decoder is only decoding one signal at a time, as the operator, they are reviewing more than one decoded signal at a time.  So they must have the same issue.

John

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 1:32 AM Victor Paul <vmpaul@...> wrote:
With many planning on using both RTTY and FT8 in the ARRL RTTY RU this weekend, I thought I would highlight some rules quirks of which I was unaware until I actually read the rules carefully.  A couple of take aways that folks should be aware of:

1) If you use WSJT-X or similar FT8 software that decodes more than one signal at a time you CANNOT enter as Single Op UnAssisted.  Quoting from the rules:
"Since ARRL contest rules regarding spotting assistance prohibit the use of “automated, multi-channel decoders” by Single-Operator entrants, stations using software that decodes more than one FT8 signal at a time will have to enter as Single-Operator Unlimited or as Multioperator, just as PSK participants have had to do in the past when using fldigi or DigiPan software."

2) If you enter as Single Op Assisted, it appears that you will be ineligible for a certificate, no matter how high your score is.  Reading section 8 of the rules I see that there will be certificates for the highest scoring Single Op High and Low power  and MultiOp high and low power in each ARRL/RAC section, but I see nothing about any certs or plaques for Single Op Unlimited (i.e. Assisted).  That may not be the intent, but its how I read it.  If that really is the case, those entering in the hopes of some wall paper may want to enter in the MultiOp category (with the attendant band change limits) rather than Single Op Unlimited/Assisted.

Yes, I realize this topic isn't specifically germane to the N1MM+ software, but thought it worth mentioning here.  Read the rules at:
http://www.arrl.org/rtty-roundup

73,
Victor WB0TEV