Re: Radio sent invalid CAT DATA

Pete N4KW

Hi Merrill, I am using the cables that Dan makes and Bob W5UQ of Expert Linears recommended.
73, Pete, N4KW
ps I plan to contact both about the problem.

On 11/6/2018 7:50 AM, merrill brown wrote:
I also have an spe and think you should call Dan at SPE and he can make you a cable that fits your needs if need be.
He probability is the guy to help you trouble shoot this issue.
8325215556
Good luck
Merrill
WK2g

On Nov 5, 2018, at 3:34 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

The typical configuration for a "Y" is to connect all three wires
(2, 3, 5) between the rig and computer and connect *only* data
from the rig to the "third" device (pins 2, 5 on the rig to the
amplifier).

Per the SPE manual(s), that would be connections to only pin 9
(data) and 4 (ground) as shown in figure 14.2 (pg 48) of the
1.3K-FA manual, fig 14.2 (pg 45) of the 2K-FA manual or Fig 14.2
(pg 39) of the 1K-FA manual.

What this connection does is prevent the amplifier from polling
the rig. If you intend to operate without a logging program that
polls the rig, use the rig's menu to turn on "auto information"
(rig sends data automatically whenever frequency/band changes)
so the amplifier can follow frequency changes. The exact menu
item will depend on make/model of transceiver.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-11-05 3:10 PM, N4KW Pete wrote:
Hi Joe, thanks for replying to my note. I have a "Y" cable and would
guess that both would be polling but not sure if its at the same time,
and if so then
there could be bumping heads and N1MM cannot decipher that. Is there a
way I can fix what is happening. Never gave any thought to both polling
at the
same time.
73, Pete, N4KW

I have been testing this situation and found today that this seems to
happens only when my SPE linear is being used. Any one familiar with
this Red Dot and Note. Could it be a false positive.
How is your SPE amplifier connected? Is it simply connected to
*listen* to the data from the transceiver or are you using some
kind of port splitter to allow both N1MM+ and the SPE to poll
your rig at the same time?

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-11-05 11:32 AM, N4KW Pete wrote:
When using N1MM+ I keep seeing a Red Dot in the lower left corner of the
main screen with the note "Radio sent invalid CAT DATA."
The note and the red dot will disappear and come back after a short
while. I looked to see if N1MM had some kind of "ERROR" file that would
be generated
when encountering any kind of error but unable to find any mention of
such a file. I spent a lot of time on this yesterday and felt that if I
continued the error could impact on my Cabrilo file so removed myself
from the SS.

I use DXLab as my logging software and it has error logs for the various
apps. The commander app that interfaces with my xcvr and CAT does not
show any errors. I have been testing this situation and found today