Re: LoTW

Dave Sublette <k4to@...>

Thanks to all who offered advice. The N1MM+ software is remarkable and I am using it as a general logging program.  I also use the rotator section to turn rotators on two towers.  I love it.  As Skip pointed out, N1MM+ won't directly upload to LoTW.  That was my intended question.  Having determined that, I went ahead and did the whole TQSL thing (for the third time), exported my entries from N1MM+ to an ADIF file, and uploaded it earlier today.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

this time I used my Mac computer and everything went smoothly.  My previous experience was with a PC.  It didn't help that I have lost two computers over the past few years and each time, the TQSL thing had to be redone.

I am running Windows 7/64 using parallels on a Mac Mini computer. The Mac runs Windows better than any of my PCs ever did. It is more stabile.  I choose to stay with Win7 because Win10 is just too difficult to control.  Microsoft seems to think they know what I want in a computer better than I do.  And they don't.

So I run ham radio software on the Windows side and everything else, web surfing, email, etc... on the Mac side -- simultaneously.  I've done this for years now and it works.

I've used all of the big name logging programs -- LOGic , LogWindows and HRD for years also, but left them when they started charging a yearly fee to use or were bought and abandoned. They were all too complex anyway.

While I am in my "old timer" mode, I will say that while computers are marvelous, I have noted that my operating time reduced to less than half what it was before I started using computers to "make things easier".  I find far too much time is wasted maintaining the software and chasing O/S and hardware problems.  It takes away from operating time.  Unfortunately, we are now a society that is dependent on them.

Enough griping -- thanks again to all.

73,

Dave, K4TO

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 2:09 PM Skip <k6dgw@...> wrote:
Let's see if I can actually answer your actual question.  If you mean upload directly out of the program ... no.  N1MM+ is a contest logger.  In a pinch, you can use it for general logging by selecting "DX" for log type.  It will export Cabrillo-format files for contest logs.  It will also export logs in ADIF format.

Uploading logs to LoTW involves running the TQSL program, selecting your certificate and a station location.  TQSL will then add the station location information [grid, state, county, etc] to your Cabrillo or ADIF file, "sign" it with your certificate, and upload it to LoTW.  A logging program could execute TQSL for you, but you would still need to provide your certificate and station location information.  Hope this helps

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 10/1/2018 7:35 PM, Dave Sublette wrote:
So what you are really saying is that N1MM+ doesn't upload directly from the program to LOTW.  I suspected as much when I couldn't find anything regarding LOTW in all the options, etc.

Thanks,

Dave, K4TO

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 10:32 PM Jim Funk <jfunk@...> wrote:

If nothing else, you can export to .adi and upload that file.  73, Jim N9JF