Re: CW macro

Dave Sumner

Vytenis,

Sorry if this is slightly off topic.

As someone who enjoys pulling serial number exchanges out of weak signals and with memories of last weekend's WAE fresh in my mind I would argue against what you want to do. If for whatever reason you believe you are weak at the other end (for example, if the station you called had trouble copying your callsign when no one else was calling) there are two things you can do to increase the probability of getting your exchange into his log quickly and correctly:

1. Exaggerate the length of the dashes in the number. Dahhhdidididit is easier to recognize as 6 than dahdidididit. Don't overdo it, or you will increase the chances of QSB making the dah sound like two elements instead of one. Being able to do this is the one advantage that manual keying with a bug or straight key has over electronic keying.

2. Send the exchange twice (just the serial number, not the "5nn" part). The problem with copying weak serial numbers generally is QSB that takes out one of the characters. Again, you don't want to overdo it by sending the exchange twice every time because it often isn't necessary. Being able to gauge when to do it, and when not to, is part of good operating technique.

The reason I don't favor your method is simple: adding spaces doesn't help me because I can't hear you when you're not transmitting.

73,
Dave K1ZZ

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:49 AM, Vytenis LY5T <vytenis.sciucka@...> wrote:

Hi guys,

Is there any CW macro or other method to make pauses between symbols larger? Let me explain: Being little pistol most of the time I feel receiving my exchange by other party is much better when pauses between symbols are longer. 5nn 6 7 8 instead of 5nn678. Decreasing speed helps, but not as much as pauses. Quite often I end up sending exchange by hand. Any recommendations? Anyone else miss this?
Big guns probably don't care much about it. Well, may be on the low bands.

73
Vytenis LY5T