Re: 'Next...' function still not working the way it used to..................

Jamie WW3S

I don't know when it "broke" but I'm pretty sure it worked in last years CQWW and I think it even worked in January for ARRL.....I know it didn't break, but was changed for some unknown reason....many, many diehard rtty contesters have requested it go back to the call frame, have yet to see a valid reason why it can't work the way it did in K8UT video....Rich , you mentioned you never look at the band map or entry window when running.....I agree with the band map, but the entry window? How are you certain what you grabbed? In a multi transmitter event, I don't even want the band map open on the run transmitter, but am forced to now to see my stack ( off topic, but related....the other ops freq is nice to see in the band map, don't remember seeing that last year, is there a way to move that to the Info window instead)

Rich , you also mentioned you just click on the call to stack them, and they are worked in the order you clicked them, and you don't need to alt click.....that didn't work for me, using a very recent version....I still needed to alt click....I only tried the single click once, and if I recall, it replaced the first call I grabbed with the second one I clicked, and worked them in reverse order....doesn't the digital call stacking selection still work ( FIFO , lifo, mult first ?)

On Sep 25, 2017, at 3:14 AM, ve3iay@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@...> wrote:

Based on your description, where you mention both clicking on more than one call sign and the Grab window, busted calls, dupes, etc., I believe you may be mixing up two different ways of implementing the 'next' function: LOGTHENPOP and LOGTHENGRAB. They are two different things and they work in different ways. It is easiest to pick one and stick with it, not try to combine them.

The one I like is LOGTHENPOP. To use this with ESM, you designate a 'Next' key in the Configurer, Function Keys tab. I use F9, but any unused function key will do. The message you program into the designated 'Next' key must contain the LOGTHENPOP macro, as described in the manual. Do NOT, repeat do NOT, put a LOGTHENGRAB macro in that function key message. You will regret it if you do. The final configuration step to get this method working is to enable Digital Call Stacking in the Setup menu in the DI window.

To use this method, when two people call you with valid call signs that appear in the clear and are not grey (dupes), click on the two (or more) call signs one after the other, and then press Enter or right-click to start the first QSO. At the end of that QSO, ESM will automatically use the 'Next' function key instead of the normal 'TU' function key to end that QSO and start the next one. The Grab window is not involved (unless you go out of your way to use it with a GRAB macro or Alt+G) - in fact, I have my Grab window disabled, because I don't use it. Busted calls, wrong calls, old calls, previously worked calls etc. will only get involved if you click on them. The answer to that is simple: don't click on them.

Once you choose which call signs to click on, the rest of the process is automatic. Yes, at one time the call signs from the stack appeared in the frame, but frankly I never even noticed when that stopped working, because I never look at either the frame or the Bandmap window when I am running; the LOGTHENPOP process just works. The only time it goes wrong is if I click on something I shouldn't have clicked on, and then I have only myself to blame - the Esc key comes in handy in those circumstances.

I don't understand why this is such a hot-button item for some people; obviously I am missing something. Maybe some folks are using the LOGTHENPOP macro manually without designating a 'Next' function key, or without using ESM(??). I can visualize where not seeing the next call sign might be a problem in that scenario. Anyway, I believe that what changed when the call sign frame logic was changed was that simply clicking on a second call sign now does what Alt+clicking used to do. In effect, the call signs are now worked in the order you clicked on them instead of the reverse order, but I don't recall seeing anyone comment on that.

On to the second method... This is LOGTHENGRAB. This one is not as automated. You do not assign a 'Next' function key in the Configurer for this method. You do program a function key message with a LOGTHENGRAB macro in it, but do NOT, repeat do NOT, designate a function key containing the LOGTHENGRAB macro as the 'Next' function key. You will not like the results if you do.

To use this one, you do not click on two call signs or put call signs in the bandmap stack. The LOGTHENGRAB macro does not look there, and the call sign frame is not involved. LOGTHENGRAB gets its call signs directly from the Grab window. If the call sign highlighted in the Grab window at the end of the first QSO happens to be a good call sign that you want to work next, then and only then you can click on the function key with the LOGTHENGRAB macro in it instead of using the TU key or Enter or a right-click to end the QSO. The LOGTHENGRAB macro that you called up by clicking on that function key will log the first QSO and pull the next call sign out of the Grab window and try to work it.

The Grab window is not very smart - it often gets filled up with busted calls, wrong calls, and so on. That is why the LOGTHENGRAB process is not automated - you have to supply the smarts by looking at the Grab window and deciding whether you want to use a call sign from it or not. There is a DELSEL macro that pops garbage off the top of the Grab window which you can use to help with this.

In both methods you have to supply some discretion to weed out bad call signs, etc. In the automated method, you supply that discretion by not clicking on bad call signs before starting the first QSO. In the Grab method, you supply the discretion by not using the LOGTHENGRAB function key if the call sign highlighted in the Grab window is bad, or is not the one you want to work next.

---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., wrote :

The "next" function has become unusable.  I totally embarrassed myself this weekend in the CQWW DX RTTY contest after trying to decipher the incomprehensible instructions in hamdocs, then screwing up royally when the contest got going.

The way it used to work is that you would click on a callsign that you wanted to be 'next' and it went into the 'call frame'.  The original instructions still say that, but the call frame now only displays the words "CQ-Frequency" and nothing else.  You can't really choose between the busted calls, wrong calls, old calls, previous worked calls, etc. that show up in the 'grab' box and/or the band map.

The call frame apparently stopped working about a year and a half ago, and despite reporting this earlier this year, it's still a problem.  Is the only work-around for this to use and old version of Logger+?  I really hate to do that.

Ron

N6IE