Re: Ethernet controlled antenna relays

Matt Murphy

Great idea, Tim.  Just wanted to mention that it may make sense to use/establish a TCP oriented standard for things like switching, or even an application layer protocol (over TCP), because of the costly failure modes that can occur due to incorrect sequencing/switching.  This may already exist or may be handled in a more thorough way than I'm imagining.

I'm thinking about things like TX inhibit, rapid sharing of TX/RX arrays, etc.

While my concern is likely not all that relevant due to the high reliability of modern (wired and wireless) LANs, I think it makes sense to assume that all of the use-cases of band data, LPT pins, etc., will soon enough be replaced by packetized data.

I'm not sure whether it is necessary for a single device to broker all state changes, but a the very least it ought to be possible to define the short list of "never let this happen" scenarios for each switch/device.

If anyone thinks that anything I've noted here is worth considering, I'd be happy to help with the design/implementation.

73,
Matt NQ6N

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Gary - K7EK gary.k7ek@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@...> wrote:

I too would be interested in this.