Sent: Monday, November 16, 2015 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: FW: [N1MMLoggerplus] 2Tone inserting QTC in WAE

David,

First and foremost, thank you for developing 2Tone. It's receiver is simply amazing. RTTY contesting will never be the same without 2Tone.

However, I am not sure I follow this argument. MMTTY works just fine with microHam; is there a reason the same approach cannot be applied to 2Tone? The MMTTY source code is publicly available so it should be no secret how to do FSK via USB. Does 2Tone use the standard UART interface or implements its own?

Has anyone actually asked microHam for help integrating the two? Have they said "No"? After all, N1MM itself implements the mH SO2R protocol so I'd expect the company to be quite open to working with developers.

My computer, as most computers today, does not have any serial ports and using a USB-based radio interface is the most convenient way to interface with my radio.  microHam is not the only proprietary hardware interface. Does 2Tone NOT work with any of them?

Rudy N2WQ
---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., wrote :

2Tone is allowed to be used with logging programs that are free.

The same applies to hardware that comes with software the software source has to be public domain for instance TinyFSK or the hardware design is in the public domain, e.g. using pFSK.

I provided the FSK via the COM port system which comes with a lot of warnings as it will have timing jitter that will and does cause bit errors. Hardware interfaces are in the public domain. However for a  PC with at least 4 cores the probability of an TX caused error within a contest exchange is low.

However microHam products hardware design and software/firmware source are not in the public domain so no interface will ever be written for those boxes.

To get the best TX performance then use 2Tone’s DOOK which is audio based. It provides a very accurate narrow band signal which can be used by anyone with a sound card and interface to the audio input of their rig. A couple of resistors and a lead is all that is needed.

It is very unfortunate that virtually all rigs (K3 excepted) transmit a very wide FSK signal when direct FSK keying is being used. This can and does cause considerable QRM to adjacent band users.

73 David G3YYD