Re: Winkey PTT momentary dropout

kg4wyagi

" PTT did not drop out, even with tail time of zero,"

Looking at the instruction words for "tail time", it looks to me that there are two settings at play here, IE -
"tail time" and "hang time" the words for tail time are -

Tail Time - Sets the tail time in 10 mSec Increments (up to 2.55 SECONDS). This value reflects the amount of time that the Winkey PTT line will be held after keying stops. Tail Time = 1 results in a tail time of one dit time (v2.2; 10 msec in earlier versions of Winkey), Tail Time = 2 adds 10 msec to that, Tail Time = 3 adds another 10 msec, and so on. If Tail Time is set to zero, then Hang Time is used instead

For hang time we have this -

Hang Time - Provides a CW-Speed dependent means of holding PTT after CW sending is finished. Hang Time can be used to set a CW-speed dependent delay of 1, 1.33, 1.67 or 2 letterspaces (not dit spaces). Tail Time must be set to zero to use Hang Time

Looks like if tail time is set to zero, then hang time takes over. If tail time is set to any value except ZERO,
then it is used and hang time is inactive.

Ed
KG4W

On 11/10/2015 9:13 AM, 'Dave Hachadorian' k6ll.dave@... [N1MMLoggerplus] wrote:

That’s exactly where mine was dropping out – between 59 and AZ!

N2IC’s description of Winkey PTT as more like a VOX doesn’t exactly fit with reality here.  Yesterday I made a macro with “1     2”  That’s five spaces between the 1 and the 2, and PTT did not drop out, even with tail time of zero, which I have been using for a couple of years.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 5:40 AM
Subject: Re: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Winkey PTT momentary dropout

My Winkey was dropping PTT in RUN mode in the middle of my EXCH, between "65" and "ENY".  I'll fiddle with the Winkey settings but I don't remember ever experiencing that before in a contest.

73, Barry N1EU

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 8:51 PM, ve3ki@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@...> wrote:

Some things to look for: Did that only happen in run mode, or also in S&P? Was the dropout perhaps between F5 and F2 in run mode? That might help pin it down.

---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., wrote :

I noticed during SS that my Winkey PTT was momentarily dropping
out when I was sending my exchange. To get around the issue
during the contest, I just turned on VOX. Experimenting with it
today, I see that if I increase the Winkey Tail Time setting to
7, the PTT dropout no longer occurs. That setting had been zero
during the contest. I'll just leave it as 7, but I think
something has changed. My exchange macro is just the usual # U *
59 AZ. N1MM version is 5289.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ