Re: Macros and Choppy CW

Vytenis LY5T

A year or so ago I sent a message to this newsgroup with exactly same problem: ATEN USB-Serial converter, Prolific chip and choppy CW. Changing USB/Serial converter to true PCI COM port (that was a desktop PC) solved problem.
Beside that, updating driver from Prolific site was not possible. Only ATEN driver was applicable. And it was faulty.

Vytenis
ly5t

---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., <w2cdo@...> wrote :

Tom,

I’ve done a bit of sleuthing and found some interesting things: first, I’ve been using an ATEN USB-Serial device and a *Prolific* driver since the beginning.  This is something I didn’t know.  The WinKeyer USB uses the FTDI driver and chipset on COM4 and I must have been looking at that instead of the USB-Serial device on COM6 connected to the Mark V CAT.  That said and contrary to the experience of many, the Prolific driver has worked for me (HP 500-205t i3-4350 CUP @ 3.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win 10/64) so far. (Yes, I know I’m jinxing myself by saying this out loud.) Testing with only the Mark V at ~ 30 Watts I had no problem going between F keys and the manual keying.  Kicking in the Alpha brought on the symptoms so the answer seems to be that RFI is affecting the device.  I’ll wrap the stuff in tinfoil and install toroids to protect the connection.  And replace most of my interconnect coax for good measure.  Just in case it all stops working, can you remind me which USB-Serial adapters use the FTDI chipset?

Thanks,

Peter W2CDO

p.s., Out of curiosity, can you tell me what this means: “Device USB\VID_0557&PID_2008\6&ba9edbb&0&1 requires further installation”?  It shows up in the Information window under the Port’s Events tab and the Event Viewer provides the following: “Driver Management concluded the process to install driver ser2at.inf_amd64_2208228bed2dedb3\ser2at.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_0557&PID_2008\6&BA9EDBB&0&1 with the following status: 0x0.”  The Event Log Online Help link goes to a “Page Not Found” on MS TechNet.

P.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10