Re: QSORDER - N1MM - LAPTOP how to ?

VE9AA - Mike

Rich,

A great explanation of how sound cards and qsorder works.  Thanks very much.

I am certain this will be useful to all users.

I don't ever expect to be a Top 3 guy in the categories listed by CQWW, but have wanted to try recording (on the cheap) for a while now so I could go back and listen to QSO's post-test. (not for log scrubbing/washing, but perhaps weeks or months later for nostalgic reasons.)

Recently I went to NF (as VO1TTT) and had some folks send me recordings of how I sounded from there and it was "very cool" (well, at least to me).

I'd also like to be able to provide that to people who have in the past requested it from me, but as I have never recorded anything except 6m and 4m (not a typo) QSO's, I was at a loss.

Thanks again.  I have saved this explanation and am sure I am not the only one.

dit dit

Mike VE9AA

---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., <ve3ki@...> wrote :

The internal sound card in most laptops does not have a separate line input. Also, if you are using that sound card for recorded wav files in SSB, you may prefer (or need) to separate the microphone input recording device from the radio output recording device. The easiest way around both of these is to use an external USB sound card that has a line input. If you are running SO2V or SO2R, you will need one with a stereo input,

I tried QSOrder out with the USB sound card I use for digital modes, which is already connected to my K3's Line Out jack. It has a stereo line input, records both channels (both receivers in SO2V), and with the K3's Monitor on, also records my transmissions. If your digital mode sound card happens to be a SignaLink, you should be aware that the SignaLink is mono, so it won't be suitable for SO2V or SO2R.

If you are using QSOrder in continuous recording mode (with the -C command-line parameter), you do not need to worry about port numbers or the [External Broadcasts] section in the N1MM Logger.ini file. In fact, N1MM+ does not even need to be running - QSOrder will record in continuous mode whether N1MM+ is running or not.

If you are using an SO2R box with a headphone output, I would expect that you should be able to put a Y-connector on the headphone jack and connect the USB sound card's line input in parallel with your headphones to record the transmitted and received audio as you heard it in your headphones, as described in the CQWW rules.

To set QSOrder up in continuous recording mode:

1. Extract the files from the QSOrder zip file into the N1MM Logger+\QSORecording folder in your user files area.

2. Start up a command window (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt in Windows 7).

3. Change directories by typing
cd documents\n1mm logger+\qsorecording
and pressing Enter.

4. Type
qsorder -q
and press Enter in order to get a listing of the sound card input index numbers. In my case, the one I was using was number 4 on the list. Actually, it detected 15 inputs ("devices") on my system but only listed numbers 0-7. If you have more than 8 sound card inputs in your computer and the one you want to use does not appear in the first 8, you might have to do some experimenting to find the correct index. More simply, you can just set the sound card input you want to use to be the Windows recording default for the duration of the contest. Note that Windows can change these index numbers every time it restarts, or a new sound device is plugged in or unplugged, or ... - so don't count on the index number to stay the same from one contest to the next.

5. Armed with the information about the sound card input index number, I typed in
qsorder -i 4 -C
to start QSOrder in continuous recording mode using device number 4. If you have set your desired input to be the Windows default recording device, you can leave out the -i and the device index number, i.e. just type qsorder -C to use the default device (note: the command-line parameters are case-sensitive; that's an uppercase C and a lowercase i).

You should set up the recording levels before the contest using the Windows sound card applet (Control Panel > Sound > Recording tab, select the desired input device, click on the Properties button and select the Levels tab) . Connect everything up and do some short recordings to check out your recording level settings. To stop recording, just close the command window that you ran qsorder from.

I found my recordings in an AUDIO_2015 subfolder in the QSORecording folder. Each recording is named with a time stamp, e.g. CONTEST_AUDIO_20151009_2315Z.mp3 . According to the release notes, a new file is started at the top of each hour (or each time you start QSOrder), and space required is on the order of 15 MB/hour or 360 MB per 24-hour day.

If you want separate recordings of individual QSOs, I believe you will have to add an [External Broadcasts] section to the N1MM Logger.ini file as described in the QSOrder documentation before starting N1MM+. This makes QSOrder aware of when each QSO is logged so it can produce an individual recording of each QSO. This is not necessary for the recording mentioned in the CQWW rules. If you are not using any other software that eavesdrops on N1MM+'s UDP broadcasts, then you don't need to worry about port numbers (and if you are, the port numbers used by that software will already be in your N1MM Logger.ini file, so you can check to make sure there are no conflicts).

---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., <ve9aa@...> wrote :

Correction. Gateway laptop, not Dell...if it matters

---In N1MMLoggerplus@..., <ve9aa@...> wrote :

Does anyone have much experience with this?

I use N1MM+ (love it!)

I’d like to try QSORDER by Vasily K3IT instead of buying a handheld digital recorder which start around $150 here locally.

I recently went SO2R with the YCCC box.(a very nice kit)

I use a 4-5 yr old Dell Windows 7 laptop with the headphone and mic jacks already used up with my headset’s microphone going in the mic port, and the headphone port going on as mic audio feeding the YCCC SO2R box.

If I split the headphone audio with a Y-connector and feed it back into the mic jack which I am already using for my mic I think I’ll have issues, right?

So, what do all you SO2R ops do for recording, per the new CQWW rules posted yesterday. Also, is the default port 12060 used by anything else typically in N1MM? (I am just doing rig control and no rotors or bandswitching or anything else)

TNX a lot,

Mike VE9AA