Long Wire Antenna Cyprus Hall

G4AKG Peter

Hi Everyone
             Further to Alan s Email re the Aerial at Cyprus Hall Had a look at it
this morning and the counterpoise has come detached from the Balun Box. The rest
of the aerial looks ok..Can someone test it carefully  please..
  See you Friday
            Regards
               Peter G4AKG

M0XYF Berni

Hi Peter.

I suspect that this happened on Wednesday or Thursday last week, as I was doing daily Flex testing on the lunchtime net, and had reports of very poor signals on the Thursday (as far as I can remember).

The antenna still tunes OK (on all bands that I've tried) with the Flex internal ATU, and EFHW's can work without a counterpoise (some people say), but I always run one as I think it almost certainly helps to reduce common mode current on the coax braid and gives the main leg something to work against. My home EFHW is in fact just connected to what's left of my old radial field.

So in my opinion it's probably OK for demonstrations and low-power testing, but far from ideal for any real Tx use. Serbia certainly couldn't hear me!

Hope all goes well tonight. Afraid I can't be there as I have the dreaded Covid.

Berni

On 24/11/2022 10:30, G4AKG Peter wrote:

Hi Everyone
             Further to Alan s Email re the Aerial at Cyprus Hall Had a look at it
this morning and the counterpoise has come detached from the Balun Box. The rest
of the aerial looks ok..Can someone test it carefully  please..
  See you Friday
            Regards
               Peter G4AKG

G4AKG Peter

Hi Bernie
             Sorry to hear that you have covid hope you get through it soon.. friday night went very well good attendance
Phils demo went very well !!   The 12 volt psu failed sometime friday  a replacement is in place Alan has taken it home
for investigation (blown front panel fuse)  . An aerial party is being organised ..
               Regards
                   Peter