DX

G8JBJ John

Here’s a teaser. James Stevens M0JCQ asked in his RadCom VHF/UHF column for the definition of DX. Here’s mine. What do you think?

By way of a single definition, I’d say that DX is:

·      When you work a path that is only available for a small percentage of time.

But since it’s a hobby, DX is also:

·      Working a path that’s a first for the hobby; or

·      Working a path that is a first for you; or

·      Working a rare place.

Those four definitions are for a given radio technology, frequency, and propagation mode.

So, whether a contact is DX or not depends on who is making the claim, the current state of the art, the technology (CW, SSB, FT8 etc. including ERP), the frequency band and the propagation mode (tropo, A, Es, 2F2 etc.).

Overall, DX should involve challenge and achievement.

John, GM8JBJ
--
John Berry
TimelessTime Ltd

Sent from my Gmail Mobile.

G6YPY Sue

HI John

On this basis I think DX defines life at times.

Hope you are all well

73 Sue G6YPY

[...]

M0XYF Berni

Very good Sue.

I got lost in some deep spiritual and reflective reverie thinking about your answer.

Then I Googled it, and apparently it just means 'Long Distance'.

Berni

On 18/11/2021 13:27, G6YPY Sue wrote:

[...]

Well in my case it is certainly long distance challenge and achievement.  I have not forgotten you want the start of my lecture.  Had a visitor for a while so the time flies by.