Updated Shack Computer Program suggestions????

GJ6WRI Steve

I recall seeing a consumer watch program about Hard drives and memory sticks. Perhaps this was one of those.

From: Msars@groups.io <Msars@groups.io> on behalf of GJ6WRI Steve <illflyit@...>
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2022 8:46:11 PM
To: Msars@groups.io <Msars@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Msars] Updated Shack Computer Program suggestions????

As I keep telling my sister, it’s not all about size. I think manufacturers play on the whopping HDD storage capacity when most home users would probably never need a fraction of the capacity. Brands like Samsung, Western Digital, Kingston, Sandusky, Crucial and the likes of are generally a safe bet. In my case, the brand was Lexar.

I always stick to well known brands,having fitted Samsung SSD's to both my Laptops.
I have fitted a WD 250gb drive to the shack computer.

GJ6WRI Steve

As I keep telling my sister, it’s not all about size. I think manufacturers play on the whopping HDD storage capacity when most home users would probably never need a fraction of the capacity. Brands like Samsung, Western Digital, Kingston, Sandusky, Crucial and the likes of are generally a safe bet. In my case, the brand was Lexar.

I always stick to well known brands,having fitted Samsung SSD's to both my Laptops.
I have fitted a WD 250gb drive to the shack computer.

M7VJE Chris

Thanks Steve for your advice.
I always stick to well known brands,having fitted Samsung SSD's to both my Laptops.
I have fitted a WD 250gb drive to the shack computer.

GJ6WRI Steve

Just an observation. I’ve recently done just on two oldish laptops, and the speed increase is very noticeable, longer battery life, and a marked decrease in board temperature. One point I’d like to make members aware of is don’t be taken in by cheap, relatively unknown brands…….like I did during Amazon Prime. Buying from Amazon, I assumed a genuine product, but I honestly think it was just a plastic case with a Sata connection. At Amazons recommendation, I spoke to a gentleman at the manufactures support team, who sounded like he hailed from VU or there abouts. I think my octogenarian mother was more savvy than he was….but but but but I could be wrong. Back to Amazon support and a refund was agreed without question, and I subsequently bought a WD drive.
Hope that may help someone in the future. Stick to well known brands!

Some of you may know I am updating the Shack Computer which involved installing a new SSD Hard Drive and memory.
So i'm now asking what programs you would like to see on there or you think would be useful.
Let me know and i will install them.

M7VJE Chris