Re: Website and Newsletters

G8JBJ John

Wise to use YouTube for videos. Only question is if you embed or link with autostart.

John

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 17:49, M0XYF Berni <msars@...> wrote:

Thanks John.

I'm so glad to have everyone's offers of help and support - it's really encouraging to know that I've got people that I can call on when the tedium really starts to bite!

I'll keep all these offers to hand and draw on them when I've come up with a technical routemap.

I want to keep our new core code as clean as possible with as few plugins as necessary to minimise future upgrade path issues, so may well decide to ship videos to Youtube, photo galleries to a separate php-based gallery script etc.

Regards,

Berni

On 06/01/2021 14:59, G8JBJ John wrote:
Hi Berni,

I’m happy to re-write or otherwise adjust any of my content on the current site or newsletters to suit the new.

An example might be to write a text wrapper around a video to enhance the text content and hence SEO.

Also happy to make any of mine more up to date. NB that videos from me are in my YouTube channel.

Regards,

John

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 12:41, M0XYF Berni <msars@...> wrote:

Thank you Steve.

I've received some positive feedback on the new approach so far, and whilst I understand that some members are slightly nervous, it will be more sustainable in the long run. None of the valuable history will be lost and it will all be incorporated.

Once up and running, the new site will enable us to potentially add additional features in the future. My main focus for now though is just to copy all the existing content over, which will be very time consuming and tedious. That could take me a month, and so I'll be avoiding any unnecessary updates to the existing website. Baby steps. I'm not going to fall into the trap of over-promising at this stage. Phase one is simply to replicate and stabilise.

The most exciting part for me is that we will now be able to optimise the website for search engines. I'm hoping to drive much more traffic to the website than ever before, thereby promoting the club to a whole new audience. We definitely need new members and hopefully some younger ones too.

I'm so encouraged that members like yourself are interested in getting involved and creating content. I've read with great interest the many pieces you've submitted in the past, and these would be perfect for generating interest in both existing and prospective new members. Amateur radio really has so many fascinating facets and interrelated topics, and there is a whole torrent of new technology on the horizon. If the government wants to promote STEM subjects to our young people, what better medium than through the existing family of radio amateurs? Us oldies still have plenty to learn too!

I will be more than happy to provide a supportive environment to members interested in website access. It can be as straightforward or as challenging as you like, and it can also be really good fun.

I'm probably going to use Joomla, as it's more powerful, although more work for me to set up. There is a Joomla documentation site here: https://docs.joomla.org/Main_Page for anyone who wants to get a head start on how it all works.

When I have something semi-stable to show members, I'll be sure to let everyone know. The existing website will continue to be available until I make the final switch, and there will be plenty of warning of that. Until then, both sites will be maintained in parallel.

73's

Berni M0XYF

On 06/01/2021 01:24, GJ6WRI Steve wrote:

Good morning Berni.

Thank you for this comprehensive description about the way forward for the club web etc.

Often,  you don’t appreciate how much things have changed until someone knowledgeable drags you in to the 21st Century!

I’d certainly like to know more about how the website is constructed, and how to post items that will hopefully be of interest to members.

Thank you for taking on this mammoth task!

TU 73

Steve GJ6WRI