#Resources Resources for Action Research and Mentoring #resources


Elizabeth Bekes
 

Dear All, I just want to share with you the experience I had today with two of the three groups of teacher educators. Last week I asked them to read the first three chapters of the Handbook for Exploratory Action Research. In our meetings, several teachers said that they were pleasantly surprised about and very happy with the book. They had never thought teacher research can be explained in such straightforward and "non-threatening" manner. They said they were able to relate to the stories told by other teachers, the language was clear and concise; suddenly, they felt research did not appear to be so daunting. Since the manuscript of the Mentoring Handbook that Richard is sharing with us follows the philosophy, the topics and the layout of the EAR Handbook, it is an essential resource, not just for this "course", but for your future work with your mentees. If you only have time for one book, this should be it. (I am aware that many of you know it inside out, but still.) For mentoring, I found the Angi Malderez interview well-reasoned, informative and full of passion. As it happens, she was my British Council Summer School teacher in Exeter in 1983, and I only saw her again last year in Istanbul after about 35 years. The passion of that young lady has only grown, I can tell you :-) ...


Anastasiia Gubarenko
 

Thank you, dear Elizabeth, for sharing your experience and co-working with others!

I enjoyed reading your post. Really inspiring :)
Keep being tuned!
That's so precious that your mentees are so responsive, flexible and open-minded - the more, the better!

Cheers, 

Anastasiia


Elizabeth Bekes
 

:-) I had another very sweet thing happen yesterday. We were talking about the need for setting up a round of observation sessions (to be done by colleagues and our student co-researchers). One of the teachers said that she had problems with her non-English degree students, who need a B1 level to graduate, but have no interest in the language whatsoever. When the potential observer (student) was trying to find a time that is best for both of them, the teacher said "I'm going to take you to the class I have most problems with". I thought that showed an enormous amount of trust. Isn't your reflex to take your colleagues / invite your line manager to a class that is doing well? No, she wanted to share the one that causes the biggest headache for her. Everyone could see that this was slightly unusual / funny, so we had a good laugh about it. I'm so curious what they will find out!

On Friday, 17 January 2020, 05:37:09 GMT-5, Anastasiia Gubarenko <anastasiia.en@...> wrote:


Thank you, dear Elizabeth, for sharing your experience and co-working with others!

I enjoyed reading your post. Really inspiring :)
Keep being tuned!
That's so precious that your mentees are so responsive, flexible and open-minded - the more, the better!

Cheers, 

Anastasiia


Paola Cossu
 

Thank you, Elizabeth for sharing this. My students attending the last year at the teacher training college where I work also read this handbook. I've been using it as a resource to introduce exploratory research to them for the last 3 years and in all the cases it 's proved a very valuable resource. The reasons are similar to the ones you've shared: teachers, or future teachers in this case, can easily relate to the experiences in the handbook and thus it's easier to help them realize that this type of research is something that every teacher can certainly do. To my mind, inviting teachers to read about previous experiences is key when it comes to responding to one of the challenges most of us agreed on: demystifying the concept of research.  


Elizabeth Bekes
 

Hi, Paola, you are so right. Plus, I always make it a point to use freely downloadable resources, because I don't think it's right to use pirated materials, and I want to be sure my mentees do not have to pay for the resources or use clandestine copies. And these considerations are beyond the fact that the EAR Handbook is excellent. I wrote a book review on it for ELT Journal...

On Saturday, 18 January 2020, 07:09:41 GMT-5, Paola <cospaola@...> wrote:


Thank you, Elizabeth for sharing this. My students attending the last year at the teacher training college where I work also read this handbook. I've been using it as a resource to introduce exploratory research to them for the last 3 years and in all the cases it 's proved a very valuable resource. The reasons are similar to the ones you've shared: teachers, or future teachers in this case, can easily relate to the experiences in the handbook and thus it's easier to help them realize that this type of research is something that every teacher can certainly do. To my mind, inviting teachers to read about previous experiences is key when it comes to responding to one of the challenges most of us agreed on: demystifying the concept of research.  


Paola Cossu
 

Thank you, Elizabeth for sharing this. My students attending the last year at the teacher training college where I work also read this handbook. I've been using it as a resource to introduce exploratory research to them for the last 3 years and in all the cases it 's proved to be a very valuable resource. The reasons are similar to the ones you've shared: teachers, or future teachers in this case, can easily relate with the experiences in the handbook and thus it's easier to help them realize that this type of research is something that every teacher can certainly do. To my mind, inviting teachers to read about previous experiences is key when it comes to responding to one of the challenges most of us agreed on: demystifying the concept of research.


Richard Smith
 
Edited

As suggested in the Week 3 webinar, if you have experience of mentoring teacher-research, please consider (for other mentors' benefit) sharing your own materials/activities for mentoring teacher-research, placing them/a description of them in the 'Files' section ('Shared materials/activities for mentoring TR', in https://groups.io/g/Mentoring-TR/files/%23Shared%20materialsactivities%20for%20mentoring%20TR Put your name with a copyright sign ((c)) clearly on the materials if you do so. You can do this at any time to help build a shared resource, not just during the EVO.


Seden Tuyan
 

Hi Richard and all,
I shared two of my studies published in IATEFL ReSIG books. They are about my experiences related to teacher research and mentoring for teacher research. Hope you enjoy reading, best! 
Seden


Ravinarayan Chakrakodi
 

Fear Seden
Can you please share these papers?
Regards
Ravi


On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 22:18 <sedentuyan@...> wrote:
Hi Richard and all,
I shared two of my studies published in IATEFL ReSIG books. They are about my experiences related to teacher research and mentoring for teacher research. Hope you enjoy reading, best! 
Seden


Ravinarayan Chakrakodi
 

Sorry for the spelling error.
Dear Seden
Please provide link to your published articles.
Ravi


On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 22:23 Ravinarayan Chakrakodi via Groups.Io <ravirie=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Fear Seden
Can you please share these papers?
Regards
Ravi

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 22:18 <sedentuyan@...> wrote:
Hi Richard and all,
I shared two of my studies published in IATEFL ReSIG books. They are about my experiences related to teacher research and mentoring for teacher research. Hope you enjoy reading, best! 
Seden


Seden Tuyan
 

Hi Ravi,
They are in the folder in the group page. I have already uploaded them. Best!

29 Oca 2020 Çar, saat 19:54 tarihinde Ravinarayan Chakrakodi <ravirie@...> şunu yazdı:

Sorry for the spelling error.
Dear Seden
Please provide link to your published articles.
Ravi


On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 22:23 Ravinarayan Chakrakodi via Groups.Io <ravirie=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Fear Seden
Can you please share these papers?
Regards
Ravi

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 22:18 <sedentuyan@...> wrote:
Hi Richard and all,
I shared two of my studies published in IATEFL ReSIG books. They are about my experiences related to teacher research and mentoring for teacher research. Hope you enjoy reading, best! 
Seden

--