Re: #week2 When should a mentor of teacher-research be directive, if at all? #week2

Ravinarayan Chakrakodi

I agree with you completely, Elizabeth. Being flexible, giving enough time especially at the initial stages of research and bringing them to track by patting them gently, recognising their efforts and then leading them forward may be worth in mentoring.
Ravi

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020, 01:18 Elizabeth Bekes via Groups.Io <ebekes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
In actual fact, Ravi, I find it almost entertaining how teachers can behave in a way that they would be most upset about in their own classrooms! I need to ask them to put away their mobiles and gently remind the PhD holder that only one person should be talking at a time... I have to disregard the fact that not everyone gets finished with the set reading and I have to remind myself to send out reminders. But, in all honesty, the more I infantilise them (by scaffolding left, right and centre), the more they behave like children! And, clearly, only I can break this cycle by changing the group dynamics.

This week there have been interesting instances of this when two of the groups needed to design tests to explore vocabulary and critical thinking. Neither of these tasks are straightforward, but I managed to give only rudimentary instructions and keep away, while letting those involved know that I am available, should they need "an extra pair of eyes". Lo and behold, they managed without me, and I'm sure we will discover a lot of interesting things when we look at the data they gathered. It's worth noting though that this was like a pilot or trial run with the main exploration / data gathering not taking place before mid-March. Knowing myself, I would have been a lot more anxious if this week had been the one and only chance of gathering specific data. We have a conference coming up in July, and there is the usual pressure to publish, so the data gathering methods will need to be well thought out and carefully designed.

Join Mentoring-TR@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.