Yellow-breasted Chat, Navarro Beach

Tim Bray

14 May 2022 - On the field trip this morning we found a singing Yellow-breasted Chat (rare on the coast) at the Navarro Beach campground. It was vocalizing continuously from some willows just behind a picnic table and came out several times for some excellent views. Occasionally it would fly up the hillside, apparently foraging, and then return to the willows. While watching that bird, Tess and I thought we heard a Common Yellowthroat (uncommon here) in the same area.

Good scope views from the beach of all three species of Loons, including breeding-plumage Common and Pacific and a Red-throated most of the way there. Nearby were a breeding-plumage Red-necked Grebe and two Eared Grebes also in breeding plumage, an uncommon sight here. An Osprey was carrying a big bunch of nest material.